SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shiloh77_gw

A grandmother's rose garden

shiloh77
16 years ago

I was searching through the forum this morning, looking at all the rose devotees and suddenly got nostalgic for my granny's rose garden. She is the reason for my love of roses which, in turn spurred my love of gardening and hence, my career. I remember as a little kid her plants always being so full and beautiful, every rose a well cared for treasure. Toward the end of her life, I was living in her house while she lived with my aunt. It was my turn to take care of the roses -my first garden! I learned about fertilizing, pruning, mulching, spraying. Even though a teenager, I did everything I could to produce beautiful, healthy plants and was rewarded with giant bouquets of flowers to take to her at my aunt's home. I must have filled every vase she had on several occasions with masses of roses and I still remember the look of joy on her face to this day. There's nothing like the love a grandparent has for their grandchild.

I was driving by her old house recently, aghast at what the current tenants have let the garden devolve into- a mass of weeds. However, as there was no one home, I walked into the garden and took several cuttings of her, and my favorite of the roses -the plants on the wane, their names long forgotten. Well, I potted them up and am happy to report that all six cuttings seem to have taken root!

I'm sure many postings like this have been made before, and maybe I'm just feeling sentimental this morning, but I just felt like remembering all this. If there are any grandparents out there, I hope you know how much your love and the passions you have can inspire the little ones who look up to you. I don't have my granny anymore, but I have the love she instilled in me- and I now have some of her roses too!

-Shiloh

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH