SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biggjoe

Getting ready for Tomato time, I have questions

biggjoe
14 years ago

This year in my 20gal SWC's I plan on modifying and changing a few things. I will change my 5" wick opening to 4"dia. I'm going to add Landscaping Fabric on top of my aeration bench to prevent the roots from getting into the water. I'm going to also add Perlite and hopefully Pine Bark Fines(if I can find it) to my potting mix, so it will be less soggy and compacted. I'm also going to use 2 cups of Lime, 1 cup of fertilizer and NO Epsom salts mixed into the potting mix, with 2 cups of fertilizer for my strip(this still seems like a lot of fertilizer to me).

So my questions are,

1. Do these things seem like a good start for my SWC's ?

2. Since the potting mix already has fertilizer mixed in(Sta-Green) is the cup of fertilizer mixed into the top 6" of potting mix necessary or will it be to much?

3. If I can't find "Pine Bark Fines", would "Black Medallion Hardwood Fines Mulch" be a good substitute? I can get that at my local Lowe's.

4. I started a huge compost pile last year, could I use that as a mulch and throw it on top of my SWC?

5. If I have to just use Perlite in my mix which would be a good ratio, 4:1 or 3:2 ?

6. I have 3, 20"x16" round plant pots that I want to use, would it be alright to mix my compost with the potting mix and Perlite for the pots in maybe a 3:2:1 ratio?

Thanks for all your help.

Comments (3)