SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Here we go again...a rant.

sally2_gw
17 years ago

DH says he's not mad, just resigned, but he sure wasn't happy with me.

I managed to catch one of 3 feral kittens at work yesterday, and he's now living in our bathroom. (The place I work at is next door to an apartment complex, and in an industrial area, where there are numerous feral cats. It seems to be a popular "dumping ground" for cats. Either people in the apartments move away without their cats, or the cats stray away from the neighborhood nearby, or something. It's a constant battle) There's 2 more kittens and the mama to trap and get fixed. The kittens are too young for that, yet. This poor little one is sooo scared, but it won't be long before he figures out that I'm not his enemy and I'm not going to eat him. I don't think he's more than 6 weeks old, but it's hard to tell. I thought the kittens were bigger than this one turned out to be, but he's almost all ears. I think when the kittens have peeked their heads out to look at me from their hiding place, those big ears made them look bigger than they are, or this one's the runt. He only weighs 1.5 pounds.

The bad thing is that it's kitten season now, and all the shelters are over run. I don't need any more cats - I'm up to 6, counting the stray that has adopted our back yard. He's the one I got neutered last fall. I don't remember if I posted about him. Anyway, he's put on weight and is looking much healthier than he used to.

Why do people do this to cats? This being let them have kittens, let them get pregnant, dump them or abandon them when they do get pregnant? My co-worker is up to her eyeballs in cats she's rescued. Another friend that spends all her time doing rescuing, trapping, neutering and such, is also overwhelmed, and I'm on my way to that too.

There are services that provide low cost and even free spaying and neutering. If you can't afford to get your pet neutered or spayed, call the Humane Society or the SPCA, or Operation Kindness, or any other rescue group and ask for information about low cost neutering and spaying. Please, I beg you. Some people actually still believe that it's good for a cat or dog to have a litter. False. Some people want to let their children have the experience of watching the birth of a litter of kittens or puppies. Take your child to a shelter instead, and let them see the kittens there. Take yourself to a shelter and see just how many homeless dogs and cats there are before you decide to let your pet get pregnant. Remember, there are lots more homeless animals running wild than there are in the shelteres, and the shelters are all full.

Okay, I'm done ranting now. Anybody know anybody that can give a good home to a cat? To 3 cats?

Sally

Comments (20)