SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_poet

Help me narrow down my varieties

dirt_poet
15 years ago

I've managed to narrow down my choices to 10 varieties, but that's still a bit much for the space I have. Last year I grew 23 plants, but a few would have done better if less crowded, so I'd like to grow 16-18 this year. Actually I decided on 14 last summer, but there's just too many varieties I want to try.

Hopefully growers with experience in my climate zone could make a few suggestions? I'm open to trying tomatoes not on my list, with a few caveats; the varieties must do well in soil with poor drainage and in a zone 5 climate. The drainage problem results from a clay soil that will take a few more years to fully improve. It doesn't help that in my area of Michigan early August tends to be dry, and late August tends towards monsoon season. I've had the worst cracking with purple/black tomatoes, and based on reports from other growers this trait seems common to many purple/black varieties, so I'll stay away from those unless convinced otherwise (although I found the few Cherokee Purple's I got last summer delicious).

Fixed varieties:

5 Brandywine (Sudduth's) - pink beefsteak, very late season

2 Stupice - red, very early season

7 confirmed.

New varieties (9-11 plants total)

Brandywine OTV - pink beefsteak, very late season

Kosovo - pink oxheart, mid-season

Rostova - red beefsteak, late season

Aunt Ginny's Purple - pink beefsteak, mid-season

Stump of The World - pink beefsteak, late season

Neves Azorean Red - red beefsteak, late season

Marianna's Peace - pink beefsteak, late season

Soldacki - pink beefsteak, early/mid-season

I'd like to grow at least 2 plants of any new variety, but I also want at least a few heavy producers for sauces and canning. Thus my dilema.

I'm not sure about Rostova, since I haven't found any suppliers that actually seem to carry the true Rostova. TGS has it listed as a pink oxheart? Same goes for Stump of The World; Tatian's database lists it as regular leaf, but all I've seen is suppliers listing it as a potato leaved variety.

Thanks for any suggestions. If you could, please note your growing region. "I get plenty of variety X in June" doesn't mean much to this Michigander if you're from Texas. :)

Finally, I'm planning to order via phone from Tomato Growers Supply, since there's been a few reports of delayed online orders because they've got to "enter them into the computer." Yes, it's a bit late but I plant the last frost, which is sometime in May. It works for me - last year was an awful growing season, but even after planting on June 3rd, I still got lots of Brandywines, and that was after starting the seeds really late (May 1st). So if I get my seeds started in the next week or so I'll be well ahead of last year.

Comments (5)