SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Too many choices - HELP!

highalttransplant
13 years ago

Feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment. It is time to start my tomatoes, but I have probably around 150 different varieties, and room for only around a dozen plants.

Not a big fan of cherry tomatoes, and haven't found one that I like better than Black Cherry yet, so that decision is done. It's the rest of the list that's giving me trouble. Love the flavor of beefsteaks, but use a good portion of my crop for tomato sauce and salsa, so need to have at least one or two paste types. The year I grew San Marzano, they were bland and mealy, hated them. Tried Opalka, and like the flavor better, but most were still green by our first frost. This past year, I tried Amish Paste, and so far that has been my favorite. Thinking about adding either Polish Linguisa or Romeo this year. Any recommendations there?

Haven't found a yellow or orange tomato that has much flavor yet. I know Kellogg's Breakfast is popular, but mine were very late, and not impressive on taste. Tried Gold Medal last year, and thought it was better, but still not awesome : ) So what's the most flavorful orange or yellow out there? What about Sweet Horizon (aka Rosalie's Early Orange? I do have a short season here ...

With pinks, I really liked Earl's Faux, also thought Giant Belgium, and Soldacki were pretty tasty. Considering German Giant, Pantano Romanesco, Lancaster Pink, and Caspian Pink. Any of these stand out more than the others?

For reds, I'm thinking Box Car Willie, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, and/or Neves Azorean Red. Thoughts?

Bi-colors, grew some humongous Striped German's last year, but also considering Hillbilly, or Marvel Stripe. Is there another more worthy of trying?

And that brings me to blacks, my favorites. Love Cherokee Purple, and Indian Stripe, though I really couldn't tell much difference between the two. Tried Cherokee Chocolate last year, and it was very productive, though maybe a little less tasty than the other two. How does Carbon compare to the others? Or maybe Black Krim?

Okay, I know it's all subjective, but I'm just struggling with indecision this year, and am hoping some feedback will help me finalize my growlist.

Thanks for your insight!

Bonnie

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!