SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcfromfl

Problem starting heliconia rhizome

bcfromfl
18 years ago

Hi all --

I ordered a Dwarf Heliconia rostrata from Aloha Tropicals a few weeks ago (never again!), and received a short section of rhizome with no roots, a 3" new growth starting on one end, and about a 10" length of last season's cane on the other. It hasn't grown or otherwise shown signs of life (although still green), and AT won't respond to e-mails or phone calls. I grow orchids and other tropicals (including bananas and gingers), and while this is my first heliconia, I didn't expect it to be that much more difficult than my other plants.

I put it in a 1-gallon pot, with a sand/fine bark/leaf mold/perlite mix, and set it so the top half of the rhizome is exposed. I never water it "wet", but keep it damp and allow it to partially dry every day or two. Temps in my greenhouse hit the low 90s during the day, and perhaps mid 50s briefly in the early morning hours before the sun comes up.

I'd really like to get this guy going, and AT was the only source for the dwarf variety. The type form would be much too large for our situation, as I'll be growing it (hopefully!) in a large planter that can be brought in the garage during the winter.

Any ideas for me to try? Also, if anyone might have a dwarf rostrata with a rooted piece available for trade (or...something), I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce C.

Comments (19)