SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gatecrasher_gw

Heliconia Problems - leaves and new shoots dieing off

gatecrasher
18 years ago

Hi there guys,

About a year ago I purchased a few Heliconia's off of ebay, a heliconia rostrata, a jamaican dwarf and another of which I can not remember the name however it has large elephant ear like leaves and from what I can remeber is the upright form or the lobster claw.

Now my problem is that for about the last 6 months the leaves of all three of my heliconias have become really pale and blotchy and turn a yellowy colour and look like they are burnt at the egdes before eventually dying off, new shoots from the ground seem to die off and also new leaves from the center of the plant die as they un curl and I am left with new leaves that are half dead and mangled on the stem and this is happening to all three of them.

Now I am in australia in queensland in the sub tropical/temperate south east and we are just starting to get cold nights here now and I expect these plants to die off for winter, however this problem has occured all over summer and before hand. I have my Heliconia's in pots and while this problem has been happening I have moved them around in and out of shade/sun trying to get the best for them as I thought they were burning however nothing seems to be working. I give them a good fertilizing and a good watering but nothing is working.

Are my pots to small, are they lacking nutrients, are they burning in the sun?

Your input is much appreciated guys.

I aspologise for not havig any photos of the problem, I will try to get some up soon.

Cheers for the help.

Comments (5)