SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abayomi_gw

Wind and Cool Tolerant Mangoes

abayomi
13 years ago

As I've stated elsewhere, importing live plants to my country is no mean feat. One of the few places not on the banned list is Europe. I haven't had any luck dealing with Spain but am pursuing a nursery in the Canary Islands which may be able to pass the stringent and numerous regulations we have.

One of the mango varieties they list on their site is a local one that sounds promising. Mangoes in Bermuda tend to be shy bearers and I suspect winter winds, even rain throughout the year may affect pollination. The Canarian variety is listed as being wind and cold tolerant and the description also lends me to suspect it is disease tolerant as well.

From the website:

"Gomera 1 is a traditional Canarian strain of vigorous mango trees, producing yellow fruits of small-medium size, with fibres presence and very strong aroma.

This mango is hardier than most mango cultivars to drought, wind and cold. The leaves are dark green, stiff, leathery and arching. New young leaves are glossy dark red.

The ripe fruit is yellow, with a remarkable resinous scent and very sweet perfume. Taste is intense. It surely is one of the best flavours in Mangifera mango.

The average weight is 260 g. The crop season in the Canary Islands is August to December.

Seedlings of mango Gomera are commony used as a rootstock for grafting throughout the islands, because of their ease of growth and hardiness. "Gomera 1" is a polyembrionic mango."

http://www.canarius.com/shop/mango/mangifera-cv-gomera-1-hardy-canarian-mango

I am curious as to suggestions of other mangoes that also fit this description. Some suspect our summer temperatures in Bermuda do not get hot enough for long enough to stimulate mangoes (all time max 93F). This doesn't add up to me but perhaps has to do with the varieties (mostly from seed) grown.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz