SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
livingparadise

Mango Salt Tolerance (???)

LivingParadise
10 years ago

Hi, I'm new here. I posted a list to "What tropical fruits are you growing?" by way of introduction.

I have a Maha Chinook and Mallika mango, both of which I would like to plant into the ground here in the Florida Keys, although they are dwarves and could theoretically do well in a large pot. I have a large yard with a number of different areas to choose from, but part of the yard borders the water (as in, salt water), and all of the yard is below flood. So, during hurricane season, this ocean side especially is prone to flooding in salt water, and likely has higher salinity to the soil in general because of these annual events. Unless there is a catastrophic hurricane (in which case, the trees will likely be ripped right out of the ground anyway), the flooding might reach no more than a few inches and quickly dissipate. Thereafter, I can amend the soil a bit. Some years it might not happen at all. The area I'm considering has wind protection so is not likely to be a major concern for salt burn affecting leaves.

I am really confused though. The only reason I decided to plant the mangoes in that spot was because I read on 2 different Florida websites that mangoes have "moderate" salt tolerance. Then just now I came across 2 other websites from other regions of the world that state that mangoes have "Poor" salt tolerance.

I'm pretty excited about these mangoes, and want to give them their best chance. But, I only have so much full sun with all these fruit trees, so that spot is ideal if they can survive some occasional salt - other areas further from the waterfront also have far less sun.

Anyone with experience on the coastline able to share how well mangoes tolerate mild saltwater flooding? Or anyone who can clarify for me definitively which of these sites is correct? Does it matter which cultivars I am growing? I don't want to kill these plants just a few months after I plant them.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida