SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattbgrays

Drought tolerant plant suggestions?

Matthew Grayson
10 years ago

Hi

I am looking for three low water, tall grower suggestions in three spots in front of my home.

{{gwi:563537}}

I live in North East LA. USDA 10, SS Zone 20.

Spot #1. We're halfway up a decent-sized hill. The house faces East. I want to replace one or two of my 3' tall Jade plants with something that will grow a bit taller to give us privacy (these are between our LR windows and the street). Other plants in the bed include (from left to right) pampas grass, camelia, lavender, jade (four in back), freeway daisy, succulents, purple fountain grass.

When I remove the Jade, I will build a 2' redwood retaining wall so that I can bring up the soil level a bit (and choose my soil type). Can jade be transplanted? I would hate to destroy such a healthy plant.

This location receives sun from dawn til 1pm and occasional winds from the San Gabriel mountains north and east of us. I would love to plant citrus as they are evergreen (privacy) and I can prune to keep my view, but they don't like wind.

Is there anything that fits the bill? I prefer edible, but if not, then I prefer drought-tolerant and pruneable as the whole bed is drought tolerant and I don't want to upset the balance.

Spot #2
I am also looking to plant to the left of my driveway (in the bed with the steel supports). I may do Lemon Verbena at the front corner (#2). That receives nice eastern light (and will get southern light when the plant is tall enough to not be shaded by the neighbor's lavender).

Spot #3
I want something 4-8' tall in the next bed which will give us privacy in our back patio. The bed receives filtered light. Less so in winter. There are some Aeonium there I'd like to keep and a small purple fountain grass that can be moved.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!
Matt

Comments (8)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner