SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Brazilian Candles (Pavonia x gledhillii)

karyn1
17 years ago

I finally got a Brazilian Candles and it's just beautiful, full of blooms. Any tips on caring for this plant? I've read that it likes slightly acidic soil and average watering but don't know much else. How much sun, just morning or all day? I have to keep it in the greenhouse until our temps warm up.

Karyn

Comments (2)

• valerie_mi
    17 years ago

Karyn, Can you post a pic?
    Valerie

• bahia
    17 years ago

I hadn't realized from the species name you list that this is a plant I already have out in the garden. It is surprisingly hardy here in the San Francisco Bay Area, where it has easily survived 28F temps this January with no damage, and seems to bloom just about all year round for me. Not a particularly fast growing plant, I have mine in a large container in fairly deep shade, but it has also been situated in bright shade and done as well. My plant is probably close to 8 years old by now, and is not any larger than it was when I first bought it, but has been in near continuous bloom all this time. I originally got it in southern California, where it was being grown with alot more heat and brighter conditions as well as drier air, and it did seem to grow faster and larger under such conditions. (I have to admit that my plant rarely gets fertilized, and barely gets any attention from me).