SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

They call me a dumpster diver!

denisew
16 years ago

Yes, that is the nickname given to me by my boys. A couple weeks ago I was driving the younger two boys to school when I spotted a student desk set out for trash pick up by a neighbor at the end of my alley. My youngest had asked for a desk, so I asked him if he still wanted a desk and he said yes. It needs new paint, so I stopped and got my older son to help load it into the back of my vehicle. The drawers all work find and it is in really great shape except for needing new paint. I plan on sanding it, priming and painting it with some leftover wall paint. I'll replace the handles too since they're a little too girlish for a boys room.

Okay, I admit it. I've done this type of thing before. I also got a desk that only needed a bit of dusting for my other son from a neighbor who lives just a couple houses down. I did ask and they said I could have it. Other finds have been four wooden kitchen chairs - one needed repair - that I fixed and painted. They are great when we have company and need extra seating. I also picked up a wooden Santa for Christmas one year someone had put out to the trash. I fixed it up and it has been a nice addition to the front yard decorations for the past few years. Other things I've picked up are plant containers, tomato supports, a gazing ball with a stand, a laptop computer bag, drawers from an old desk that I use as storage in my closet, etc. I guess it is better to end up being used by someone than taking up space in the landfill, huh?!

Is it an addiction? No. It is giving more life to something that is still usable. Can you hear the talk at the local DDA meetings (Dumpster Divers Anonymous)?

Me: Hi. I'm Denise and I'm a Dumpster Diver.

Group: Hi, Denise.

Me: I've been dumpster diving for the last five years since I just can't let a good treasure go to the landfill.

Group: (Gives me understanding looks.)

hee-hee!

I know I am not the only one who has done this since I have seen things that are set out for trash disappear before bulk trash pick-up. I know there are the online Freecycle groups where people can post information about things they're giving away, but I'd rather go on an adventure and look around at what people are tossing out in my own neighborhood than have to drive to the next town for something I haven't seen. You never know what you'll find. Have any of you ever picked up things other people were throwing out? What kind of treasures have you found?

Comments (22)