SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_hobbs_gw

Oh, What a Day!!!!!

Jan_Hobbs
18 years ago

The weather for the Middle Tennessee plant swap was perfect...chilly enough for a light jacket early, but it warmed up by tradin' time. Didn't have as many as in the spring...but that was OK. I actually got around to visiting with everyone. We had some new ones, had a lot of old ones, and missed those faithful ones that couldn't come.

You couldn't ask for a better variety of plants, or friendly smiles. Lots of hugging, and getting reacquainted, or introductions. Where on earth can you find such wonderful people as at our swaps! Did I mention the FOOD??? OHhhhh...groan...we ate so much we about busted.

And Marty do a fantastic job! She had a neat print-out for all of us. That is one smart lady. She is coming back in the spring to talk about native plants. You DON'T want to to miss that. The spring swap is in May, the Sat.BEFORE Memorial WEEKEND. Don't have an 06 calender or I would give you the date.(Someone have one, can you post it?) Mark your calenders now so you don't miss it.

Everyone left tired but very happy. There are a number camping again tonight...you must try that...you'll like it.

See everyone on the GW, and next May.

Jan

Comments (25)

• maternut
    18 years ago

How did you beat me home Jan ? Was wonderful day for sure.
    That Marty, can we put that smart lady's name in for president ? Sure was nice seeing everyone again. The day
    would have been perfect if our special friends could have
    made it there.
    Norm

• mlwgardener
    18 years ago

Oh me, I sure did miss you all today. I hope everyone posts what was special to them. I can't wait to read all about it.

Marty can you email me a copy of your print out, or snail mail if not?? I know you did a wonderful job!!

Jan, Hugs, I hope you got enough for me too.

Norm, I bet you had a good time. Did your wife come with you?? I made the rounds in my yard today and got to think about eack of you from the past swaps. I think I've managed to get plants from everyone.

I planted 350 named daylily seeds today, so maybe I will be able to share next Spring. I enjoyed today, planting seeds is one of my favorites, but nothing would have been better than to be with all of you! I still want to spend the night with Jan and sleep on her screened in porch. I think that would be the neatest thing in the world when it's cool like it is now.

Keep the news a coming. Love to you all and may God bless each of you with his loving Grace, Mona

• Related Discussions

Spring like day here in Maryland

Q

Comments (5)
    This weather is soooo welcome here. Maybe some of my flowers will finally sprout. All I've got so far is lettuce and broccoli. But I, too, still have snow on the ground, especially in my fenced early veggie garden where it drifted to about four feet (and is still a few feet along the back -- ugh) Might have to get out there with a shovel and break it up because we've been in the 50s for four days now and it doesn't seem to be melting,or not quickly anyway. Caryl
    ...See More

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Q

Comments (20)
    Nancy, that Hugh Jackman video is so funny. He looks so young and the whole thing is pretty hokie! Of course, so is the movie. I love musicals, but mostly the Lerner/Lowe and Rodgers/Hammerstein ones even though som are goofy. So, for yesterday, four stars for TM and Bobbie. Mickey and Bugs were the first two cartoon characters to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. In addition to those I already mentioned, the Rugrats, the Simpsons, and Tinker Bell have gotten stars. Welcome back Laura. We missed you! Thanks for playing everyone.
    ...See More

Long Kitten story

Q

Comments (6)
    Okay not a cat story, but a baby animal story . . . I had a dog who had her puppies on the bed in our guest bedroom and my mom thought she was done at 7 pups. I wasn't home from school yet and the pups were the result of the dog getting out and getting "into trouble" with the dog down the road, so she took them to the vet and had them put down. This must have upset our dog because she went and hid in my closet and had two more - on my white judo suit! I found them when I got home - then found out what she did with the first batch - I was so mad at her because I'm sure we could have found homes for them all. We kept the last two and finally found homes for them. She was such a good mama dog to the last two.
    ...See More

Oh what a beautiful day to be outside and play

Q

Comments (6)
    A little bit here too! Yesterday it was 52 degrees! Ohmyword! First 50 degree day since last November and it was sooooooo wonderful!!! Lots of snow yet, but it is going quick the last couple weeks. NOT fast enough for me but its going and thats the main thing! It will be into April though before we see any tulips. Unless we slide right into some beautiful spring like weather. (which of course I am desperately hoping for!) A couple years ago we even had a Easter egg hunt cause it was almost 70 on Easter. Too much mud and snow yet for this year.
    ...See More
  • SmokyMist
    18 years ago

I divided my big hot pink crinum today and potted up 2 of them to bring in the Spring swap. I HAD to do something that made me feel a part of things LOL. Sure did miss ya'll but you had a beatiful day for it !!

Cheryl

• big_orange_vol_
    18 years ago

Mona you and David were sorely missed!!! WeÂre so sorry to hear about David's Dad. Give David our love and tell him ya'll are in our prayers. You did miss a really good Swap though. Marty is the bomb. She makes Norm and I look pretty dumb but really, how hard is that? Jim said that it sure was quiet at this swap for some reason. ;-) I have no idea what he meant by that. WeÂre looking forward to seeing both of you in the Spring. Our best wishes go out to you two. Hang in there!

Doug & Bec and the younguns; Cheryl & kids; Kathy; Renee and your Mom; you guys sure were missed too. It was a core group of thirteen counting Lavonne that didn't make it. We wish that all of you guys could have been there. Joe, Jan and I counted 41 so it was a pretty dang good turn-out for a Fall Swap. The temps were excellent but Marianne needs a REAL sleeping bag so she won't get cold next time she camps out. Hey, at least she didnÂt get pulled over. Several new /first-timers were there and I think that we made a decent enough impression and they had a good enough time that they will come back.

Thanks to everyone for coming and making this another successful Swap so that I didn't look like a total goob. Ok, I look like a goob anyway but at least I didn't look like a goob and a failure. Gee I just can't wait to see what wonderfully flattering shots of me Joe is going to post. ;-(

Thanks to Marty. Wow, what can I say? You are incredible. You are a walking encyclopedia of plant knowledge. And a super special thanks for pulling my rear out of the ringer gal.

Thanks to Jan and Jim for giving their time and wonderful location so that we can enjoy such an event. You guys rock!

Thanks to everyone that helped me especially MarianneÂs son!!!
    Thanks to everyone that traded with me. Even though I didn't have much I still went home with more than I came with. (And I thought that I was going to get to rest Sunday. Fat chance of that happening now.)
    Thanks to everyone that is concerned and asked about Lavonne. She's fine other than being upset that she didn't come and missed seeing everyone. I don't even want to tell her what a great time we had. Ya'll keep it quiet and cover me.

Barb, you are one awesome lady and Norman is one incredibly lucky guy... just like Jim, David and I! We sure married-up boys!

GW TN Forum...you guys, as always, are the best!

All our love,
    Jeff and Lavonne

• april_h_o April Moore
    18 years ago

Speaking as one of the "new ones", I can say you made more than a decent impression. :-) Chip and I had a very good time; I got a lot of neat plants, got to put some faces to the names I've seen on GW, and he got a lot of reading done, and had a nice meal. ;-) Hey, he likes his veggies, but he is not really the gardener in our household; he's the engineer, and that's a VERY important job around my house. (I married up, too, Jeff!) ;-)

Afterwards we had a nice, leisurely drive up the beautiful Natchez Trace Parkway and still had plenty of time to visit with the neighbors and get the plants stowed away for the night before dark.

I actually put a followup post on the Exchange page, because I wasn't sure if we were allowed to talk about the plant swap on the Discussions page yet ;-) and I didn't see this thread until just now. Anyway, I posted a picture of those flame azaleas I mentioned today, and there is also a link to some photos of some of the Scott's Gulf lady slippers. So maybe we'll have to do a little GW outing up to the Plateau next Spring. :-)

Y'all take care, and thanks so much for a fun day!

--April (& Chip)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

Hey everyone -- I'm pooped! A happy tired swapper!

I loved getting to meet everyone, and I had tons of fun gabbing and swapping. But I am *very* disappointed that I came home with about as many plants as I took down there -- that was NOT the plan. LOL!

A special big thanks to Jeff for the crinums, and Marianne for the crinum and alocasias, and Norm for the fig, and Regina for the variegated commelina, and new-guy Paul for the cacti and sempervivums and future agave :-) , and Zack for Paul's Glory, And Dennis for Color Guard, and Judith for the passifloras, and Carol for the *wonderful* gardening apron, and Claudia for the blood grass, and the nice ladies whose names I've forgotten for the begonias, and the other nice ladies whose names I've forgotten for the shrub whose name I can't remember, and whoever it was that gave me the tree rose, and.....can you tell that my brain has gone into complete meltdown?? LOL!!

In other words -- thanks to everyone for everything! Christmas in October with tons of wonderful people -- what a great idea!! :-)

• rizzir
    18 years ago

Well, sadly, I'm back in my chair at my desk in Knoxville. I wish I were still at the river, sitting with Marianne's son trying to catch fish (he caught one late last night, by the way, whilst I mostly just fed the fish with my attempts.) I still smell like campfire. Thanks SOOOOOO much to Virginia, Marianne, Cindy and Tim for all the help camping (I forgot stakes for my tent, as well as a flashlight and my phone charger!) and to Jan and Jim for their hospitality and for helping me move my tent when it was covered with ants!

I have a horde of fantastic new plants thanks to everyone who attended. Now I have lots of homework to do on these plants, and I absolutely MUST put in that "dappled shade" woodland nook I've been planning. I even have real office plants to divide and share with my co-workers now!

One of the best things that happened is that Cindy (Waterfall Hiker) and Tim, who have a brand-new, completely bare yard, received all the basics to start their garden, and also several not-so-basics so they can impress their new neighbors (and create a living privacy fence!)

Thanks to everyone who gave or received plants with me. Like Jan, I think I was able to swap with every person who attended! I will certainly make the trip again and again. What a fabulous weekend.

And April, I want to go Flame Azalea seed collecting! Perhaps Marty might join me to do a day hike with you on the mountain while you're up there camping? Then we can all do our best to propagate the seeds and have lots of seedlings ready for the Spring Swap with emphasis on Native plants!

-Regina

• hosta_mom
    18 years ago

I agree with everything that has been said.... :-) I've got
    all my new babies planted except my Jap. Maple. It is going in beside where I'm putting in a small fish pond, so I've got alot of digging to do before it gets planted. This gave me a good jump on filling my new bed, & I will think of you wonderful people every time I look at them.

Me, Mom & my sister went home with quite a haul of plants & we actually did trade or give away all that we brought. I want to thank everyone who shared & traded with us & the fellowship was wonderful.

I know I will get together several ferns & hostas for the spring swap....I'm sorry for not having more to share this time.

What did everyone think of the ham??? I tried a new way cooking it (NO BASTING) & I thought it turned out pretty good.

• farmerbell
    18 years ago

I am so sorry that I could not come on Saturday. I really hope I can come in the spring and hear Marty talk about native plants. I started the post on crinum liles and I missed out on those that got swapped--maybe someone will have some at the spring swap. Thanks to all who have written about the fun and the plants they received. I enjoy reading your posts.

• WaterfallHiker
    18 years ago

From the newbie with a blank slate garden: How can I say thanks enough? Everyone was wonderful and we had a great time (even my husband Tim who is more into ultralights than ultra cool plants). We met a lot of terrific people, filled up on very tasty food (the ham was delicious- thanks Hosta Mom), listened to a spectacular speaker (Marty, you were wonderful), chatted by the campfire (more of you should camp it was fun), enjoyed a peaceful campground by the river (Thanks Jan & Jim) and laughed and smiled a ton!
    Jeff and all those unseen helpers deserve a big thank you for all their hard work. It was definitely a successful swap in the eyes of a newbie!

To everyone that donated plants to my blank slate garden - thanks from the bottom of my heart. I've come away from a truly enjoyable weekend with many new plants, and lots of ideas and knowledge. Best of all I gained some new gardening friends in this beautiful state. I'm looking forward to practicing those propagation techniques and bringing things to trade to the Spring Swap.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!
    Cindy :)

P.S. Maryann & family, Virginia, and Regina we really enjoyed spending the weekend camping with you all! Lane & Joy - your place is terrific! :)

• sondra_tn
    18 years ago

Awwwwwww sounds like everyone had a wonderful time. I am too a NEWBIE but was too far for me to drive. I can not wait until the Spring swap. ( I am excited and glad I found this wonderful site and can't wait to meet some of you) I even told my husband about it. Just need to figure out how to start preparing thing's now to swap. Like my 4clock's, take seeds or have starter plants? Canna's, potted or the rhizomes (sp?) and my hosta's. LOL I think I will take pictures of what I have ( as I don't know the names of all) and start a post on who can name these please.....hehe

• rizzir
    18 years ago

Which of you was Hosta Mom? There was a lady wandering around asking for you! Did she find you?

• wild_rose
    18 years ago

What a day and what a weekend! It's always wonderful to renew friendships and make new ones. Those regulars who couldn't come were missed. I'll add my thanks to those others have already made. I can't say it any better.

I do hope everyone at the swap got something from me. It took extreme willpower but I actually came home with less that I brought, but oh the things that did ride home with me! With a little quarter-acre mostly shady, city lot, I have to be really selective, and had to turn down some absolutely cool plants that I'd love to grow but just don't have room. Oh, for a few more acres!

I'm happy that Cindy went home with a good start to transforming her blank slate. I saw her packing up some really good things - not just basics.

I realize not everyone is "into" camping, but I hope to never again have to drive up the morning of the swap and leave immediately after. The river at night and early in the morning is really magical and the sounds it makes are better than those of any sleep machine. Jan and Jim have a real treasure most of us have never experienced. Where else can one camp in such beauty? I adored the extra special time we campers had together. Regina and her stories of her hiking experience on the Appalachian Trail, Cindy and Tim's tales of their move from California to Tennessee, and Marianne's enthusiasm and loving nature that we have all seen at the actual swap was multiplied a hundred fold. And, can that woman cook! Yesterday morning I was up early with my camera and hiked along the river photographing the mist rising off the water and trailside wildflowers. Later, Marianne and I sat on the steps leading down to the river, chatted, and watched her son, Brian, and grandson, Nevin, catching crawdads for bait and casting their lines. Their joy was contageous. I can't wait until May!

Virginia

• clou13
    18 years ago

so sorry I couldn't make it. I actually had two new ladies that were going to come with me but had to have surgery on the 14th. Wish I had gotten the chance to get some new stuff, but God willing I will be at the spring swap.

• hosta_mom
    18 years ago

I *think* I found everyone there. I was the one with the "guacamole" hostas, & the few indian ferns it seemed everyone wanted. I need to figure out how to speed those babies up :-)

Every time I walked away from my table my Mom & Sister was calling me back to trade, so it took me a while to see everyone. Thinking about it, I'll bet it was someone who very generously brought me a gourd she grew this year. I believe it was April. She & my Sister had a great talk on decorating gourds--so I lost a few of my gourds to my Sis...LOL

Which, by the way I forgot to THANK everyone for the gourds. I now have plenty of gourds for my Sunday school class to work on & enough for me to put up bird houses with. I'm gonna try to grow some gourds next year from some of these seeds.

If not, It was probably someone that had a pre-trade with me. I'm sorry I did not get to talk to each of you more, but I was having a tough time talking. I've had bronchitis for 2 weeks & had almost no voice Saturday at all.

• rizzir
    18 years ago

Somehow I think I missed you, HostaMom! What is your real first name? The woman who was looking for you said something about having lots of shade and desperately needing hostas. I think she was petite with blonde hair and sunglasses, hair pinned up in back.

Norm, I think you snuck a tiny agave into my pile!! It's very pretty - reddish on the bottom leaves, greenish in the middle. About 5" in diameter (bottom leaves.) It has raised cream-colored bumps all over the leaves. What is it? How big will it get?

• hosta_mom
    18 years ago

The hostas & ferns went quick...lol

My name is Carol, my Mom is Wanda & my Sis is Maria.

My table had a few mums on it right up until the end along with some Golden foxtail grass. I had variegated irises too. :-)

• wild_rose
    18 years ago

Oh, darn it! Carol, I think I met you but didn't make it to your table. I'd have loved one of your ferns and variegated iris. Hope you come next time. Maybe some of my Hostas will have grown enough that I can remove an eye or two and we can do some real trading.

Virginia

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

Nyah nyah. I made off with the iris. I'm a sucker for those variegated grape-scented iris. Variegation AND scent -- how could anyone resist?? :-)

• rizzir
    18 years ago

I have your cans, Ione... think I might get a varigated iris in exchange? Huh, huh? (wink)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

Thanks Regina! I was intending to write you this morning. I've got to go to Nashville today, but I was hoping to pick up the cans tomorrow afternoon. I'll bring ya some amaranth seeds and some of the pepper vine cuttings. Maybe iris in the spring!

• mari5us
    18 years ago

What can I possibly add to all that's been said above!! My thanks to Jan and Jim for so graciously hosting us again. For the first time I was able to camp and enjoy the full beauty of their campgrounds.
    Jan a special thank you for bringing me and my grandson blankets and to Virgina for the cushion and blanket and to Barbara for the loan of her doorprize (the little blanket Ione brought)....without y'all I'd have surely froze again.
    I truly appreciate all the plants I received,seeing my old friends and meeting and making new friends. The swap is a blessing to my heart and I fell rejuvenated each time I come.
    Cindy and Tim,Regina, and Virginia you all made my camping experience complete. I was so comfortable and at peace with you all. I enjoyed getting to know you and look forward to camping with you all again.
    BOV thank you for all the time you dedicate to our swap and thank you Lavonne for lending him to us. I hope your vacation is the best ever!
    Our old and dear friends that were not able to be here this fall, you were greatly missed-----hmmm,I wonder who Jim could have been referring to when he said this swap sure seemed quiet???
    I heartily recommend trying camping--it is the best ever--but have a better sleeping bag than I did!!
    Once again the food competed with the plants and ohhh what plants and ohhh what food-the deserts were out of this world!!
    Marianne

• Soeur
    18 years ago

April, that R. cumberlandense seed (Flame Azalea) in Scott's Gulf would likely be ready in mid to late November. Any chance of a daytrip to get some?

Marty

• big_orange_vol_
    18 years ago

This is what it's all about! Jan I think that Mona was right. The inspiration and idea you had to crank this puppy up was a God-send! Look at where we are now. How many people attended that first MTPS? This year our Spring Swap attendance should be over the 100 mark for '06 and we've had Cheryl and Nat spin off and establish two successful swaps in East TN.

If you can't reach around and pat yourself on the back then let me! We all owe this to you and Jim because it may never have come to fruition without you two. Thank you so much. Look at all the joy and happiness you have brought us all. Look at all the lifelong friendships that have come about because of the MTPS. Look at all the untold tens of thousands of plants that have been shared. You helped create love and bonds between people where there hadn't been before, what greater gift is there to give?

In the past six years this forum and the people on it have become part of my extended family. I can't imagine my life now without you and Jim; Mona and David; Norm and Barbara; Cheryl and the kids; Doug and Bec & their kids; Joe and Kathy; Renee and her Mom & Eric; Marty and her husband; Marianne; Claudia and the list goes on and on because I can't name them all without taking up two pages. Actually it continues to grow every year! How do you repay someone who has blessed you with a gift this special?

Mrs. Hobbs you are the bomb!!!! What a visionary. What a fine Christian woman.
    THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

All our love and admiration,
    Jeff & Lavonne

• Jan_Hobbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for those kind words, but remember without all you guys there wouldn't be any swaps...YOU guys are what made it what it is today. All you kind, generous, loving, thoughtful people are what made it a success. I think that God in His infinite wisdom gave gardeners an extra amount of sweetness and love.

See you all at the river :)

Jan Hobbs

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County