SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldielox700

Help! I don't know what kind of plant I have

goldielox700
12 years ago

I have a plant that has one "stalk" or trunk and seems like some kind of palm. It's indoor in a small pot and it has 9 variegated leaves at the top only. The leaves are pointed and somewhat thin. I don't know how to post a picture on this site so if someone can respond via e-mail that would be great. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• dellis326 (Danny)
    12 years ago

Maybe dracaena marginata, Try google-ing it.

• ifraser25
    12 years ago

Only possible to ID with a photo.

• serre
    10 years ago

recieved a plant as a gift they didnt say what it is

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi Serre. Compare your plant to images of Tradescantia zebrina, and Tradescantia fluminensis. Hard to tell from that picture. In the future, more people will see your message and pic if you start a new discussion for it.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Serre,

I agree. Like Purple says, it is a Wandering Jew (or as they call it in my local Craigslist, "Wondering Jew", LOL!)

Carol in Jacksonville

• Mary McMillan
    9 years ago

• Mary McMillan
    9 years ago

• Mary McMillan
    9 years ago

• steiconi
    9 years ago

It would help if y'all started a new thread for each new query. Include a picture (preferably showing the whole plant, a close up of leaves, and flowers if any), and tell us how big it is and where you found the plant. Knowing whether it's in Florida or Michigan can help ID a plant.

Mary, I would say posting your three plants in one thread works, but piggybacking on another thread gets confusing, especially since others have done the same here.

Also, there's a Name That Plant forum here; the people who hang out there are friendly and knowledgeable about a wide variety of plants.

-----------------------

Now that I got that off my chest, the first one Mary posted looks like a carrot relative--maybe fennel or queen ann's lace. #2 might be a hosta relative. I think #3 will have yellow flowers, but I don't know the name. Maybe an artemissia relative?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Mary's plants. 1. Could be lots of things. Flowers needed for an accurate id. 2. Is a Lily. 3. Is Dianthus barbatus, Sweet William.

None of them are tropical.

But I agree it's best to start a new post for your own ids and the best forum for them is 'Name That Plant.' Name That Plant

It is also really important to say where the plants are growing as that affects the possibilities to a huge extent.