SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_tn

First-Timer - Reputable Fruit Tree Vendors

ryan_tn
14 years ago

Hello everyone,

Please bear with me, I'm new to this forum, gardening, and especially growing fruit, however I'm insanely interested in the gardening subject and ready to learn!

Let me offer some background:

I'm pretty much out of college and purchased my first house a few weeks ago in Bartlett, and the home is devoid of any landscaping other than the basic plants the home builder decided to use. The front yard has a new oak sapling (not looking too great either) and two flower beds in the front have spiny-leafed plants and some shrubs. The backyard has no trees and no beds. All grass is bermudagrass. I thought I would landscape with fruit & veggies and at least then the land could provide for me.

I became interested in gardening about 2 years ago and did some apartment porch gardening with peppers, tomatoes, herbs. I grew them from seed, only fertilized a few times, picked about 20 horn-worms off my tomatoes, and that's essentially the extent of my gardning knowledge.

Since I'm such a newbie, I don't want to overwhelm myself, but I understand I need to get any fruit trees I want planted as quickly as possible to get them established. With the research I've been doing, I've read that it's most important to find a reputable source for fruit since the early care can dictate how well the tree will produce in the future. My only problem is I have no idea where to buy the trees and who to trust. Preferably I'd like to buy local, but if people in this area order online I'm fine with that.

One benefit I felt I would have with purchasing from a local (reputable) nursery is that I could talk with the people there for advice on plant care for the region. It would be nice to have a local mentor who I could contact for questions if any arise. Unfortunately, people my age (24) just aren't that into gardening (at least those that I know...) Anyway, I think this is a skill every human needs on some basic level, so I thought I'd begin learning now.

Below is a list of fruit I am interested in planting (space will limit this list I imagine). If you have any suggestions on varieties given my inexperienced circumstances, please comment!

Blackberries

Blueberries

Raspberries

Apple

Peach/Nectarine

Grapes

Plum

Pomegranates (do these grow successfully here?)

Some type of nut (taking limited space into consideration)

One last thing - my backyard is a flat, well-drained 50'x80'rectangle, and the front of the house faces due North, if this helps at all.

Thanks everybody for your help in advance! Everybody seems so friendly and inviting here, and I hope to eventually become a helpful member soon too :)

Ryan

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets