SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cannahavana

4500 Send a named daylily - get a named daylily

cannahavana
19 years ago

This round robin is an extention of a wonderful group of traders who when at all possible trade daylilies. We have the most awesome group of traders, proven, experienced, honest, givng, sharing and awesome loving people. The way into this group is to have traded and proven yourself honest. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recomendation. We'd love to have you!

We are currently doing an April trade - which finally includes daylilies or "IOU's" for daylilies *grin*

I will get this new thread going since Marea is probably still sawing logs out on the Oregon trail.

If you do not know who your partner is for this month, please check the last thread.

If there are any questions, feel free to email me.

Onward we go...

~ Canna

Comments (100)

• Joeypack
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Morning everyone! Had a wonderful surprise waiting for me at home yesterday! Angie sent my ebay order and included yelloween! I am so pleased!!!!! Have to order more!
    Been busy in the yard this past few weeks. Loads of stuff coming up!!!!!
    on a sad note, I found one of my favorite liliums "henrii" turned to much! YUCK! But, Henriis surprise and Henrii White are doing nicely!!!!
    Well, I am so glad that everyone is doing well. Take care! Joey

• marybz5ny
    19 years ago

Good Morning Daylily Friends,
    The sun is shining, the forecast is 70 degrees today and I have about half of the day to work in the garden!

Huge hugs and thanks to My Marea. Her awesome box arrived yesterday! Okay, now's the time for you all to be envious- I got 7 beautiful daylilies -Aztec Priestess, Clothed in Glory (!!!), Dark and Dreamy, Guardian Angel, Siloam Fine Art, Siloam Justin Lee, and Tears of Love. Also included were TB Iris Painted Cloud, Hosta Swan Lake (so sweet of you to find one for me that I didn't have!), Dahlia Mystery Day and 6 Dutch Iris Blue Magic. Thanks again, Marea. You made my day yesterday! I am getting everything planted today in the beautiful sunshine. I am waiting till the end of this week or beginning of next to mail your box out. I want those daylily fans to get as big as possible before digging. Hope you like what I have planned for you!

Mary S., got your email about a hosta trade. I cannot believe how big yours are already. You're a zone colder than me and seem to be further along. Maybe in about another couple of weeks I'll be ready. I'll be updating my list soon so have a look back then and we'll talk.

Cindy O., received your email also. Hugs to you...

Anita and Jo, Are you guys just loving this weather we're having. Actually got a little bit of a sunburn the other day. Ofcourse reality will return since it's supposed to be 40's and rain for the weekend again! Oh well, we sure do need the rain (but I coud do without the 40 degrees). I've been having to water gardens already.

G., You told me to remind you in Spring that I had picked a paper with an X from you in the October box. Okay, here's your reminder! I also want to hear about your african bulbs that you have on ebay (can't find them). Want to get in an order from you and also from Angie. You know I LUV MY BULBS TOO!

Canna, just letting you know I haven't forgotten my Christmas box IOU to you. Will dig and send when I do Marea's. Hosta rock looks beautiful in my hosta garden. Love it - thanks again.

Well, time to get out and emjoy the day!
    Hugs,
    MaryB

• Related Discussions

Have: Six named Daylily Want: Six named Daylily

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi, Fellow daylily fan I would be interested in trading this spring. I'm in WV so we also have to wait till warmer weather. I do have some purples like Get all excited, Bela Lagosi, Jennie (lynn maybe), and a few others in those color schemes. I also have some other beauties. You can check out my trade list and email if you're interested. I send out healthy plants once I recieve a package from others. (I've been let down a few times) Later, Chris
    ...See More

HAVE: My Named Daylilies for your Named Daylilies

Q

Comments (11)
    Most of mine dayliles are for trade Please let me know which ones you're interested and I'll double check the avaliability. Interested in yours: Siloam Merle Kent-1 trade 2 med. fans Wineberry candy-1 trade/1 fan Angelic Grin X Big Kiss-1 lg fan/trade(hasn't bloomed yet-not sure of color) Franz Hals-3 trades/1 fan Ury Winniford-3 trades/2fans 1 that Looks like Blackberry Candy- 3 trades/1 lg fan Wenny
    ...See More

4300 get a named daylily, send a name daylily 4300

Q

Comments (100)
    Hi everyone, A beautiful day here also - sunny and in the 50's. Cleaned up and cut back most of the garden this past week. Daylilies are popping up everywhere! First of all, I, MaryB, do hereby solemnly swear that I will send my April partner a box or I am out of this swap for the next month and three years after that (cross my heart). YES G., I WANT IN! Secondly, I am very sad that it has now been TWO WEEKS since my March partner has received her bunny box (according to delivery confirmation), and has not posted or emailed me. I really felt I went above and beyond to make a nice box and include extras and have not even heard if she likes it. Yep, just very disappointed. Sorry, just had to say it... Thirdly, I just have to tell you all that I was VERY BAD on ebay yesterday - bought 9 new daylilies (5 of them Spacecoasts), some oriental lilies, and a hosta book. Can't wait for it all to come! Okay, now on to belated birthday wishes to Marea and Janet - so sorry I missed you on your special days - hope they were wonderful! Janet, I also am so sorry to hear of your loss of your sister. I hope you are finding peace in special memories. Marea, I am so sad to say that I lost one of the cannas from you over winter - my favorite - LePoupre. If you will be dividing and have extra this year, please let me know and maybe we can trade. YOU KNOW there's others I'd like too! Or, if you will be listing any on ebay, please give me a heads up so I can bid. Did I read that you're looking for sedums? I will be moving many of mine to a new location within the next week or so and will gladly split for you - let me know - I have Autumn Joy, Autumn Fire, Neon, Stardust, Purple Emperor, Lidakense, Rosy Glow, Clown. Maybe others - that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. Dawn, Carmichael is beautiful! I hope you can get him to stick around and be a part of your family. Our pair of Canadian Geese are back. We get the same pair back every year. They always nest and raise their babies on the island of our pond every year. It's good to see them back! Well, I need to get something done today so better go. Take care, Mary
    ...See More

4900!!! Send a named daylily - get a named daylily

Q

Comments (100)
    Hello all, Got a few pictures to share...Yea I got it figured out. Isn't it kewl..love my garden junk..lol...DH felt sorry for me..Ya see I was working and fell and kinda of hurt a rib and my fore arm..Really really nice bruising going on..Not to worry with a few meds all is fine..as long as the meds don't wear off..LOL..Trellis is what your looking at by the way..the black rod iron..he sanded,painted and put it together for me..Have an clematis going up it ..hopefully I just love this..Hopeing to grow some tpye of vine up this too..so it looks like an umbrella..Please don't look at the mess behind it..Was a deck there..took it out last year and haven't gotten around to do anything there yet.Heve to move my close line and then move around alot of the gardens..Then just put down some slate..ya ya thats all..LOL and YES I want my close line BACK.. Sorry this isn't the best picture..first time it's bloomed for me.Only know it as an Trout lily. Yes we behind all of you..thats zone 4..LOL Can't you just smell them..Hummm..spring..=) Anita ..Hugs hun...hope all works out for you.. LOVE,just love the window.Now just have to figure out where I can put one..=) Pictures are great..love seeing everyones gardens and blooms.
    ...See More
  • mareas
    19 years ago

First Box award!! Oh how happy I am my MaryB is pleased!! I don't care WHEN you send my box, Mary - taking your time is fine on this end.

I found 'Chloe' for sale online at the Perennial Patch for Dianne - here's hoping...

Joey Lilium - my condolences on henrii, but I have a feeling there still won't be any holes in your border..

TMA - My driveway IS lined with daylilies, from you all.. That semp is aptly named 'Oh My'. As it turns out, I just happen to have a couple hundred different Semp cultivars - a full-blown obsession, it's true. I won't share 'Oh My' yet but I have some other beauties I think you will like, too. I will get a selection mailed to you as your new ones for this year and if you wanted you could choose a nice surprise to send in trade...

more muddy hugs to all ~ marea

• juspeachy
    19 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I never got back to all my daylily buddys yesterday. Worked outside till almost dark, and then had company drop in till nearly bed time.

ANYWAY... (drum roll please)

My BIG news is...

I am going to start a greenhouse and gift shop of all garden related merchandise. We hope to open next spring. I have had it up to my eyebrows with my boss,so I plan on hanging in there till spring and then I will step down from management and just be a little part timer.
    I have painted and taught painting(both decorative and canvas) for about 20 years. I also do sculpture, sewing, quilting, crafts, you name it. I intend to make most of the gift items in my store. Sculpted plant picks,like frogs, snails ,butterflies,bees,hummingbirds, etc. I will paint clay pots, rocks, signs, I also do hypertufa, so will do planters, rocks with indents for plants, I want to sculpt wall spitters, and small fountains, I have TONS of ideas, (but I am always open for more)I have started collecting small pots (and large ones) for the greenhouse.My neighbor found me about 300 of those little 6 cell packs along the road, with a "free" sign on them, so he brought them home to me. I can purchase them on the net, but I just love 'FREE", don't you? (besides, they will go fast once I start planting seeds in them)I will take all I can get. We are looking into getting a large greenhouse so I can start my plants from seed this summer, and start to sell them next spring. I will make a few things and take pics so I can show you all some of the things I do. Eventually we will add my DH work. He knows how to do metalwork and blacksmith work, so we want to have shepard hooks, plant hooks, plant stands, etc. But that will be a couple of years away yet I think. We still need a few more tools before he will have everything he needs, and they aren't cheap. I want to carry the "standbys", but I want to specialize in unusual and hard to find plants. Like natives, such as trillium, hepatica, ladyslippers,polygala. Also, penstemons,iris, water and bog plants, japanese iris, and of course daylilies. Nice ones, not stellas, or red volunteer. They are pretty, but you can get them "anywhere".
    This is a huge step for us, my DH lost his job of 30yrs. 3 years ago due to plant closure. So, he has been doing part time jobs, and seasonal work, and working part time at a garage as a mechanic. He now has his resume' in several places, and has a job with county for 6 mo. He hadn't worked in 3 weeks, and we have been praying the county would call. He started there on Mon. Now all I need is for him to be hired permanently there and we are good to go. I have been saying many prayers. He loves the work, and the guys, so it would be so wonderful if he could. But, not a lot of funds right now, so this is just a bit scary. We had a business for many years, but he worked full time then and I ran the business. We know it may take a while, but I asked God to show me what to do, and this is the direction he pointed me in. So, I am grabbing it and running with it. I just wanted to share my news with all my daylily family. I am scared and excited. If any of you have any ideas, I would be glad to hear them. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the novelette, but I figured I needed to explain the whole thing. Thanks for "listening".

Nancy,
    I got those pics of my bulb bed, will see if I can get them posted for you.

Shirley,
    I see you have a couple of things I have been looking for. I will send you an e-mail, see if I have anything you might want. I also have some things in my greenhouse growing away that are not listed. Will send you a list.

have a great evening,
    Hugs to all,

Jo

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Jo - You just LMK which plants they are. I am having a huge plant sale in two weeks. I do it when my irises are blooming and it looks like it will be in two weeks, I have tons of irises budding now. I don't want to sale what you are looking for.

Canna - I got my daylilies yesterday. Thank you so much. I mailed yours Monday. LMK when you get them.

Shirley

• cody_mi
    19 years ago

jo
    that is so great for you!! eventually i'm going to open my nursery/garden shop/farmers market/etc. lol
    good luck on it
    cody

• marozeckinj
    19 years ago

jo i am so excited for you!!! I will pray that everything comes together smoothly for you.

it was 76 here today...stuff that was not out of the hround yeaterday is 4" high!!! Taking pics tomorrow

MELISSA

• toomanyanimals
    19 years ago

Jo, I'm so pleased for you and your husband. Sounds like you need a change! Wishing the best for you in your new adventure. (Sounds like a greeting card, huh)
    tma

• juspeachy
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone,

My daylily family means so much to me. I really wanted to share the news with you all.

Also, the reason I came back tonight, Anita is sick, she is on antibiotics, either bad case of bronchitis or pneumonia. Plus they are gonna do tests for other things of concern. She said to tell everyone she will be back in a few days when she is better. All in all it was not a good day for her. I am saying lots of prayers for her tonight. She is in need of them.

night everyone,
    Hugs,

Jo

• ellenh
    19 years ago

I hate the fact that I know I posted, honest, but I can't find it. UUURRRRGGGHHH. Distracted by the kids again.

Jo, I'm so excited for you!!!! When do you plan on opening? Are you doing this out of your home or do you have a location plannned???

Don't forget to tell Anita that we miss her and hope she feels better and all tests come back with good news.

Just to let everyone know, I'm almost better now. It was a nasty flu of some kind. I had 103 fever for 4 days. The fever's gone, but I'm still a bit under the weather. I lost days of great weather too :( My weeds have once again gotten ahead of me. I 've got a million cannas to plant, boy I'm already behind!

Ellen

• budsnblooms
    19 years ago

Just a short message to let you know that DH had his heart cath today and it didn't turn out very well. He has a 70% blockage in the right coronary artery and
    a blockage in the major vessel on the left side. The surgeon wanted him to have a double by-pass tomorrow but hubby asked to delay 2 weeks, they compromised and he is having surgery next Tuesday (4-26). Needless to say I am very worried about the love of my live for the last 32 years.

Marea...YOUR surprise dl's arrived at a perfect time to get my mind focused off worries and fears to new growth and cheery flowers. The Wedding Band and Tears of Love are especially meaningful. Thank you so much.

Dirtpig...I'm sooooooo glad you're my partner, I ran off the 15 pages to your trade list so I can take it with me as I wander about the yard and garden, go to nurseries, greenhouses, etc. You must have cornered the market in shade plants. I am just beginning to collect heuchera and heucherella, I don't know how I missed seeing how beautiful they are. I don't have much in the way of your want pages, and it's probably too late to get anything ordered and back, but I think you will still enjoy your box. I hope to get it sent out by Thur. or Fri. I'll e-mail when it's on its way.

Gloria...You were sending me a box? I haven't got one yet. Are you finding more wonderful daylilies and dahlia's to send me? (smarta$$ grin). It's really not a problem, I am potting everything anyway until I see how my dear sweet hubby does with surgery.

Everyone please help me keep positive thoughts over the weeks to come. Your prayers and kind thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Love you all...Debbie/budsnblooms

• cannahavana
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Morning all!

Debbie, many prayers and hugs for your husband. So glad they caught the blockages in time. Please keep us informed when you can on his progress.

Ellen, glad you are feeling better! I know what you mean with the kids. I have been trying to type this post for an hour now.

Miss ya 'nita! Get better soon, cause it's time to play in the dirt!

Hi Dianne! Good luck on your search!

Jo, way to go! So glad you decided to give it a go. Be sure to give the boss a proper good bye :). The lady we bought the DLs from last Friday used to run a perennial nursery. She showed us her greenhouse she used to use. It is an 8 X 5' that she would start 4000 plugs and seeds in Jan. and it would be warm outside by the time they got too big and could be brought out. I was amazed!

MaryB! So glad you mentioned the Chrismas box IOU. I would have been confused if I had gotten them from you and not knowing what they were for!

Shirley, so glad you got your box in good time.

I may have to do IOU's until after the DL blooms are over. Doug and I will be hybridizing in our gardens this year and will be unable to dig until we harvest the seeds. Not sure which ones we will be using yet.

The kids and I went to London, KY on Monday and had a blast visiting my sister and her three kids. They just bought a house that has 2 acres. She mentioned wanting to put gardens in after renting and moving alot for the past 8 years. I perked up and started viewing the blank slate she has to work with. I told her not to spend a dime on plants, I will bring her a garden and help her plant! She already has a veggie garden tilled to supply her family and her inlaws and sisterinlaws family. I got to help plant 120lbs taters while I was there. We also visited a farm that has horses, mules and baby calves. The kids were wore out!

RM, I will try to get your box together today!

I started wearing contacts a few weeks ago and I think I am allergic to them! When I put them in, my eyes just itch and I want to claw my eyes out! I did a google and have found that certain ingredients in the solutions can cause the same kind of reaction that I am having. Anyone have this kind of problems? I used to wear them all the time, but that was like 12 years ago. I want to wear them soooo bad so I don't have to constantly shove my glasses up when I am outside sweatin'. Maybe I will just go for it and get Lasik surgery! Has anyone had that done?

Does anyone know what this iris is?

{{gwi:1260756}}

~Canna

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Debbie - my prayers are with you. Please keep us posted. To me the waiting is so hard. (((( BIG HUGS ))))

Canna - aren't kids fun! It looks like a dutch iris to me, the kind that grow from bulbs.

Ellen

• beth_b_kodiak
    19 years ago

You gals are just having way too much fun. All winter I was watching your threads and wishing for Day lillies. I have now ordered a bunch and will probably order more for fall. Maybe by next year I can join too. I think I can find a reference or two. LOL,I'll try to be good for a while to make a good impression.
    seriously, I love day lillies and you do seem to have a good group going here. Best wishes to all. Especially to Debbie's DH

• dirtpig
    19 years ago

BIG HUGS Debbie...prays coming your way..Please,please take all the time you need..meaning to DON'T worry about the swap..it can wait..

Anita..hopeing your feeling better..we're missing you girl..HUGS

Ellen..glad you are doing better =)

Mamabear..comeback and play..LOL

Jo,oh Jo..so happy for you..You must be so excited. I know I am..LOL

Yup it's an Dutch iris..I have dark purple ones blooming right now..so pretty..

I'm so excited..DH and DS ordered me a new gaming computer on Saturday..The new monitor showed up yesterday..It's just to cool..One of those flat things..ya can spin it all around..DS said Mom now you don't to fix the picture just turn the screen..LOL..Now if the Ups man just brings the rest of it..=)

Well off to play EQ,it's COLD and wet outside.We needed the rain,but I wish it would warm up.
    Be well all

Dirtpig

• gaygay
    19 years ago

well.people im back,but all my info is lost, had a major computer crash,i need a master list again.promise to make a hard copy this time .boy have i learned a lesson this time.dont know who i owe wha t or what trades i had going so everyone help me out here...missed you all!gay

• toomanyanimals
    19 years ago

Canna - I had the lasik done 5 years ago now. My goal was to not have to wear bi-focals. It was very scary having something done to your eyes, but it was all very easy, non-painful, and I still have 20/20 vision. When my eyes are very tired I do find it hard to read super small print now. Also, it has been a little harder to drive at night, a little glaring of the headlights, but i had that with contact too. A little story . . . I had the surgery done Halloween morning - had to go to Canada back then. I slept all day, had to give out candy that night. You have to wear these big dark glasses for a while, so I had them on while handing out candy. I dressed up like Roy Orbison, and can you believe it, One of the teens recongized my costume!!!
    If you want more specific details of what happened and what it was like, just email me.

I just received some snail vine seeds(vigna caracalla) seeds in a trade, Does anyone know how to grow these?

tma

• juspeachy
    19 years ago

Debbie,
    Hang in there, all our prayers are with you and your DH.
    Big warm fuzzy hugs.

Canna,
    Yep, it's a dutch iris. I have several different colors, very pretty and dainty looking.

Sharon,
    I just planted mine in a good seed starting mix, kept it warm and moist, and I have several of the little guys coming up and already getting their second set of leaves.

Nancy,
    Girl, I have your box packed and ready. Be careful when you get it, it weighs, (are you ready?) 8lbs. 3.4 oz. I have that little sucker "Packed". Of course most of the weight is from one item in particular, but you will have to wait and see. It goes out in the morning, you should get it on Sat.

Anita,
    I am worried about you girl. Called you earlier today. I made homemade chicken soup from scratch, just to bring over to make you feel better, and when I called there was no answer. I am needing to hear from you. Please let me know you are ok, and that the medicine has started to help.

Have a great night all,
    Jo

Here is a pic of my bulb garden from last year,

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1260749}}

• marozeckinj
    19 years ago

debbie sending prayers your way

gay gllad to see you are back i was gettin worried i have the funniest story to tell you but i just worked 12 hours so i will email tomorrow!

diane glad to see you back too!

i am off to bed, been up running kids since 4am...DS is in georgia...look out mommag

MELISSA

• jaceysgranny
    19 years ago

Debbie, I'm sorry your DH's news wasn't so good. Mine had quadruple bypass Sept. 03 and he's doing great. He was up walking the next day and back at work part time in a couple of weeks. He's self-employed and had no help but me and I had to go back to work but he did fine with a friend giving him 2 or 3 hours breaks periodically. I'm praying for his quick recovery and that you won't be so stressed while it's going on. I got the shingles during Jerry's illness and I thought I was going to be the one to die! lol

Anita, get well quick, we need you around to make us laugh and so we can see Little Man!

Ellen, welcome back to the land of the living. Glad you're better.

Jo, your bulb garden was gorgeous! My tulips didn't bloom at all this year. My daffs bloomed eratically but most of them bloomed and were pretty. Some are still blooming! Congratulations on your new business venture! I hope it's a smashing success! If anyone can make it I know you can. I'll pray for your success. I'll be looking for your box and let you know when it gets here. I've been out digging around to get you some things together too. I don't have much you don't have in the way of daylilies but found a few and I have some other things I hope you'll like. Sorry you lost your Spacecoast! ;-(

Joey, sorry for your Henrii too. I guess you'll have to put him up a little RIP sign til you can get another one. Wish I had one to send you.

Canna, planting 120 lbs. of taters doesn't sound like much fun! You sure are a nice sister and what fun you will have helping her design and plant her new gardens. Your iris is gorgeous! I have problems with some of the solutions for contacts too. Have you tried different brands? You may ask your doctor if you can just use saline solution on them. I've done that at work when I didn't have any solution and my contact came out. I just got a small vial from the nurse and washed the contact off and put it back in.

Welcome back Gay! Sorry you had puter trouble. It's a PITA!

Ya'll be good!

Nancy

• mary_s
    19 years ago

Hello!

Debbie, Thoughts and prayers with you and your DH.

Anita and Ellen, Sorry you have been sick...Hope you are feeling better by now.

Jo, Congratulations on your new venture! Your tulips and dafs are so pretty!

Canna Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your contacs. Could it be environmental allergies? Lots of our kids at school are having trouble with allergies (eyes red and watery, sniffing, sore throats, coughing) with the trees budding, grass etc....Might be the solution, too. I had trouble with one brand a long time ago.Does your eye Dr have any other options for you? I divided a few hostas for your new shade bed. Then it started raining so it's way too muddy now! Do you have any astillbe? Mine needs divided before it takes over!

I am so excited! First, I got my first daylily order today from Wilds. I was very pleased with the size of the daylilies. The smallest is 2 fans and some are more.They have just gigantic roots so hoping they take off! Also got some Oriental Lilies. It was raining so could not get them in yet. Hopefully tomorrow!

Yesterday I met the nicest lady who loves daylilies and hostas as much as I do! She lives just 9 miles north. We spent the afternoon talking, having tea, looking at flower pics and touring her garden. A mutual friend introduced us. I came home with 4 new daylilies! I think she is coming next week to tour my yard and finish our trade! It was fun to meet someone who loves daylilies and hostas. I could hardly give away my daylily and hosta divisions to any of my friends 2 years ago! Then I met you guys and I no longer have that problem, LOL!!!!

Gay sorry about your computer problems! I will email you about the trade we were doing! Wondered why I did not hear back!

Gloria, You must be really busy with your new ebay venture!Hope that is going well!

Has anyone heard from Mamabird or Cathy lately?

I have my first tulips and dafs blooming. Hostas are up and some are unfurling. What am I going to do if it gets real cold again!!!!!! I may have a "pot garden". This has been such a warm April for us here!

Better go now! MaryS

• luvmybulbs
    19 years ago

I am here for a second! I got my box and WOWZA WOWZA WOWZA!!! I will let you guys think on that and post tomorrow what I got! :o)

Cindy sorry about your grandma, prayers and more prayers for your family!

Debbie same for your family!

All you sicko's ditto!!!!

Got to get some sleep!!

Angie

• onesherri
    19 years ago

Good morning everyone :)
    Congrats Jo, you will do great on your own.

Ellen, glad to see your feeling better.

Angie, do tell. No fair keeping us in suspense. :)

Debbie, our thoughts and prayers will keep him safe, dont you worry to much.

I got my first box in the mail yesterday, in between a thunderstorm, was lucky enough to get it in the ground. They are calling for snow this weekend. Any one else getting snow? Sherri

• cody_mi
    19 years ago

is it just me or has the level of quality plants available for trading dropped considerably?? i sent someone 15 fans of 6 different daylilies for 6 dahlias, i got the box yesterday and they were single tubers. most don't even look like they have 'eyes'. it used to be that you could post a wanted thread and have 10 serious offers for nice plants within a few days. anymore all you get are small unhealthy plants or unnamed ones. where did all of the good, quality people go???!!? i know a lot of them are here, but not all of you have things i want, lol!! it says on my trade page in two or three places that i don't trade for no id plants and it also says it on my member page, yet thats what i get offered!! it's getting rediculous, i'm very tempted to just stop coming here altogether and just keep in touch with y'all through email.
    on a happier note i had a thoroughly horticultural day yesterday, i'll explain more and post pics tomorrow.
    -irate in michigan

• gloriab3
    19 years ago

Debbie... YES I am still filling your box full.... FULL.... Full.. I cant fid that starburst.... so im REALLLLLLLLLLLLy making up for it.... and especailly now...
    I have a BIG BUCK garden and they all pushed up a fan so I am sending you out of that... one fans but heck! next year they will have two... thats what I did...

I am trying so hard to do everything there just is nt ebough time,,,

COTY>>>> OH NO.......... I HAVE A TRADE FOR DAHLIA WITH THAT SAME GIRL.... NOT GOOD ONES,,,,??? ouch OUCH!
    HAVENT SENT YET BUT NOW AM SCARED.... IM GETTING ALL SHE HAD LEFT... FAN PER TUBER.. IS THAT WHAT YALL DID???

rM GET BOX?

jOEY?

drunroll please...
    I HOPE THIS IS NOT RUDE..... I DONT KNOW WHAT THE DAYLILIES EVEN LOOK LIKE EXCEPT THEY ARE AWESOSOME AND HEALTHY AND GREEN AND WONDERFUL...
    BUT
    WHEN
    I OPENED MY BOX I GASPED AT MY PARTNERS ENCLOSERS...

WHERE R WHERE CAN I PLEASE GET SOME MORE OF THOSE NAME TAGS......... THEY ARE THE MOST AWESOME THINGS I HAVE EVER EVER EVER EVER SEEN... I MUSY HAVE MORE. THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH SHARON..... I LOVE THEM AND YOU AND ALL OF IT... ESPECAILLY THE CHOCOLATE TOOOOOO FUNNY... SHE SENT ME AKINS CHOCOLATE DRINKS!
    NOW BACK TO THOSE TAGS..... DID YOU MAKE THEM? CAN i BUY SOME? AWESOME!

GREAT EBAYER GILRS...." FLOWERFORME123"

MAN DOES SHE HAVE GREAT PRICES..... SHE IS GOING TO LIST NAMED DAYLIES THIS WEEKEND.... i THINK SHE SHOULD SEND A LIST TO YOU ALL FIRST! YES, i WILL GET HER TO DO THAT... SHE IS SOOOO SWEET!

gAY DID YOU GET YOUR BOX? WAS IT OK?

i HAVE PINK SPIDER BULBS JO BUT NO MORE WHITES,,,,, HAVE LOTS OF PINKS SO LET ME KNOW...

YOU TOO CATHY.... WHITES GONE... SORRY...

MY YARD LLOKS SO AWESOME AS i SEE THE PEOPLE WHO SENT ME STUFF BEOFRE i SEE THE FLOWERS.... I HAVE MAREAS FROMNT AND CETER AND ELLENS AND DIRTPIGS.,,, AND JOES AND ANITAS DARLING ANITA.. YES i KNOW i REMEMBERED THE NAME! GRIN..
    JOEY YOUR DID NOT MAKE IT THRU TH WINTER... GAY YOUR pumpkin ONE DID.... SUCH GREAT FRIENDS WE ALL HAVE AND ARE...

MUDDY HUGS... TOOO CUTE!

cANNA.... WHAT DO i OWE YAH FOR THE PHOLX> AND THANK YOU SO MUCH DENI..... WAS SO SWEET!!!!!!!!!
    DAWN IS WORKING HARD... ITS HER SEASON... CANT WE TELL!

jO YOU WILL DO WONDERFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DID WE GET DIANNAS DAYLILY MAREA?

SHARON YOUR BOX SOON..... OR ILL BE KICKED OUT! OH lORD HELP! NOW ABOUT THOSE TAGS.... LOVE YAH.G

ps we ARE DOING A DAHLKIA farmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

KEEP EYES OPEN please>>>>>> LET ME KNOW ANYTHING! THANKS!

• cody_mi
    19 years ago

well i have more time than i thought i was so i was going to post pics now, but it seems the digital camera has vanished. probably still in my mothers car.
    anyway heres the list of the plants i picked up while out and about yesterday.
    sedum cape blanco
    buddleija harlequin
    h. border beauty
    heuchera montrose ruby
    h. pewter moon
    h. chocolate veil
    h. leuchtkafer
    h. midnight claret
    h. stormy seas
    h. white cloud
    calamagrotis avalanche
    miscanthus senesis ferner osten
    m.s. blutenwunder
    caryopteris worcestor gold
    carex toffee twist
    peony bowl of beauty
    sarracenia brunswick beauty
    clematis venosa violacea

when i got home my box from mail order hostas was waiting
    i got
    celestial
    fallen angel
    lakeside spellbinder
    warwick delight
    revolution
    they're awesome, i'm glad i opened that box AFTER i opened the box of dahlias, it almost made it all better!! http://mailorderhosta.com/ heres the website, really nice plants, good prices and great people. plus theres a 10% off your first order going on right now!! i'll post pics of them tomorrow when i get the camera back.

gloria, if it had been one fan per tuber it wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but i sent double fans on most, one triple fan and five fans of another one. i got better divisions from walmart for 3.95.

• cannahavana
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ummmmmmmmmmm.......G?

Ebay says I owe you $501.49

~ Canna

• Joeypack
    19 years ago

Hello everyone! What a greatday! 83 degrees.
    G- nope, no box yet
    Cody- It is so different than last year. I have noticed it too! Now I just chalk it up to experience and go on. No reason to get so upset that I ruin my day. I hate it, but several people no longer will be trading with me again.
    Angie- Once again thanks for the fabulous BULBBBBSSSSS@@@@
    Canna- How are those plants doing?
    Mareas- will be shipping something off this next monday!!!!!
    RM- Where are you Rita Moreno? LOL still working on a box for you!
    Take care everyone! Joey

• mareas
    19 years ago

WOW Momma G! You are selling some darned FANCY dahlias it sounds like!

Debbie - you & your beloved have prayers flooding you from Oregon, too. I thought you'd appreciate those particular daylilies right now...

Oh Cody! I'm sorry about those chintzy dahlias! Now you know why I'm only trading with you Traveling Daylilies & special friends from last year! Like TMA says, we're safe here... Now if we could just manifest plants on your wishlist...

I HOPE Dianna was able to buy 'Chloe' from the "Perennial Patch" - website said it was available...

I loved seeing that bulb garden from last year - just beautiful heart shaped bed from my view!!

Plant markers? I sent Mary B a few of my homemade venetian blind markers in her box - she wasn't impressed LOL - I still want to engrave rocks - found a neat set to make my own cement rocks and imprint the letters - might go that route.

I put 'Hooker's Formula' on my daylilies yesterday and my whole world smells like fish emulsion! Yuck! Hope it's worth it!

Joey Lilium - did you see the "lilynook" website? 6 foot tall lilies? I am getting afraid of a new obsession coming on... Thank you in advance, brother Joey, for surprise.

Gotta go tend to a bucket full of daylilies - Marea

• janetlee50
    19 years ago

Debbie- gentle thoughts to you and hope healing is coming your way.

Canna--I am an old lady that wears contacts and do not have any trouble. But I have seen a commercial on TV for a prescription for dry eyes for contact users....maybe ask Dr. about it.

Marea...your babies you gave me are doing well...but a little more rain and sunshine would even be better.

MamaG--please post your bulbs you will be selling....I want to buy some of your great things and no reason to give Ebay a share of what you have worked hard for....Post that list!!

Later Janetlee

• mamabirrd
    19 years ago

WOW! All I can say is OUCH! I miss having lots of spare time to come and "visit" with you all. MamaG's right, 'tis the season! I am busier than a bee and so, so sore. I'm behind in EVERYTHING, except cutting grass. That is pretty much all I have been doing. I've gone from tan to black as coal, and have already gone through an entire bottle of sunscreen. It was 80 here yesterday! What a Spring! We've never had one quite like this before. I've also lost 10 pounds in the past month. Time to start eating lots of junk. That is definately one of the benefits I enjoy in the summer months. : )

I have so much catching up to do. I try to get on and read all the posts daily, but never have enough time or energy to type. Please everyone, please forgive me if I miss acknowledging anyone. I surely don't mean it. And I always read every word you all type and share your joy, sadness, and aggravation. Honestly. Spring is so busy for me, but you are all always on my mind.

I am sooo excited about our current swap, and can't wait to send my package to Shirley. Did anyone ever look over her trade list? OMG lady, what the heck can I send??? You've got it all, lol! What a wonderful collection of plants. I hope you will be happy with what I am sending. Looks like it will be going out next week. I wanted to send this week, but I had no peace.

Debbie, You and your DH have been on my mind. I want you to know that I am praying for only the best. I've also known people in similar situations and they have all ended up healthy, strong, and back to their old selves. A big hug to you both. I will say a special prayer on Tues.

Jo, congratulations! You know I'll be here for you and we can discuss our trials and tribulations together. I'm not sure I will get mine going as soon as you, due to our busy work schedules. I hope your DH gets the job permanantly. Especially if he likes it. Good luck with everything. Keep me posted.

Gay, I was really worried about you. Glad you are okay. Computers are a pest! But if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have each other. : )
    I will re-email you about the Stella's.

Cody, I've got stiffed so many times it's not even funny. So discouraging. I keep at it though. The wonderful people and trades make up for it all. By the way, you have such great plants. I'm jealous.

As a matter of fact, I hope I can get all caught up with my trades this week. I have hardly been home, so it's pretty tough getting trades ready to go.

Marea, loved your pic of the Daylilies "all in a row". Do you always grow your DL's in pots, or is that just because you are moving? Or have you moved? LOL

Canna, your story was me to a T. I cracked up. The only thing I have missing is children, but the rest is the story of my life. I swear I am the queen of bad luck. London, KY, that's where my health insurance company is based out of. I'd love to go there and give them a piece of my mind. It's a long story, but I've had it up to my eyeballs with them.
    So nice that you are helping your sister. I'm sure she will appreciate all the plants. I've been giving my youngest sister plants for the past year, and I see her interest in them starting to peak as the plants are peeking up out of the ground. She even bought an obelisk (that her fiancee' thinks is dumb, LOL). He'll learn. : )

Anita, I still owe you an email, I think. I really hope you are okay and feeling better. Take it easy and get well. You are going to need your energy for all the work in the gardens and pond. Hope your sis liked her new Daylily.

Joey, so sorry about your Henrii. RIP. I hate when I lose a plant. I spend tons on plants & garden "stuff" every season too. I can't help it. No budgeting, no nothing. I just go without something else to get that truckload of new things for the garden. I always tell DH, "Someday I'm going to save some money". He just rolls his eyes and gives me the "yea right" laugh. I'm obsessed too.

MamaG, I must come shopping to Ebay. I haven't had time to check out "flowersforme123" yet, but I will. Canna must have really put in a big order!!! How much are you charging for those giant daff bulbs??? LOL

Hi Sherri. Don't say it!!! That four letter word!!!! Yes, they are calling for snow here on Sun. & Mon. I can't bear it. Heck, maybe I'll get a day off. I guess it wouldn't be so bad.

My sweet, sweet DH just came home from work and surprised me with an idea for a quick vacation next weekend. He is going to take me to Plant Delights nursery in Raleigh, NC for their 1st open house of the season, then we are headed back up to Gettysburg, PA for a day. I will have to take off work on Friday. OKAY!!!! And, the best part, he's going to fund the trip and my shopping!!! Woo hoo!!! Must be my "Happy Mothers Day, I mean Happy Mamabirrds Day" present. Gettysburg has great shops and restaurants. I can't wait!!

To top it all off, he ordered us a veggie pizza for dinner this evening. I can't believe he still loves me when I'm constantly covered in dirt from head to toe. : )

Pizza is here, so I must go, but I'd like to leave you with a few of my many Spring pics:

Here's one of my bunnies. QUIT EATING MY DAYLILIES!!!

Here is my "Forsythia Arch". It has taken me about 8 years to get to this point. I started with one small twig, layered into two plants, and have used a metal arch as a support. Next year I may be able to take it out. Looks pretty good this year. Next Spring it should be gorgeous. Ignore the messy garden in the background. I'm not done cleaning it yet. : )

Here is my Leopardsbane blooming it's little heart out. One of my first perennials to put on a show.

Well, got to go eat. Talk to you all later.......

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• veeja11
    19 years ago

Hi all, Debbie try not to worry to much about dh bypass surgery is pretty common now. and from someone who had a triple last year it is a piece of cake. best gift for him would be a stuffed throw pillow he can hold to his chest when he gets up or coughs. I was given a heart shaped one it was a life saver. mine was red with a pic of a heart on it and a marker so people could sign it. my dr drew a pic on the heart of his work and signed it. It sure helped with pain.

• cannahavana
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh crud! I knew I forgot something! I didn't pick up plant labels RM! Not sure if you would have liked the ones I use...cut up window blinds with a good ol' pencil :). I did send your box today!

Dawn, Dawn, Dawn...you are coming down I-75 right? RIGHT???? I live right in the crook of I-75 and I-40. You can just swing right by and pick me up! I promise, I will be REAL quiet...won't even know I was there. I will take out a second mortgage!

Love your forsythia arch! They grow like weeds around here, but I wish they all looked like that.

Ok, the weather geek is predicting frost or snow here on Sunday!?! That is not cool. Our last frost was March 18th. I have moved all my potted plants out except for my Hoyas and Orchids and now I gotta haul them all back in. I may just stash them into the garden shed. It has been in the 80's for a couple of weeks now.

Coty, I know what you mean on the trades, but I have been rather lucky so far this year. But, I guess we have to remember that trading is suppose to be fun and when it is not, it sucks. I have basically quit trading in general and am tempted to take my trade page off because of gobs unsolicited emails. But, on the other hand, that is how I met our Deni when she emailed me about a trade. So, it is not all bad. :) With you all and local folks and local swaps, I am pretty set on safe trades.

Speaking of trades, Shirley, I got the DL's yesterday! Thank you soooo much! I am about to head out to plant them.

Joey, the plants are settling in nicely :). I have something special planned for you for just being the sweetie you are!

Jo, your bulb garden is just gorgeous! All that color in one spot. My bulbs are scattered all over the place.

Thanks to all that responded about my contacts delimma. I do have environmental allergies and it has been horrible this year. I don't like medications as they generally make me feel worse. I did stop and get some OTC meds today and they did help my eyes, but I slept for 3 hours!

Deni, here is my var. weigela in bloom this week:

{{gwi:1260765}}

White Columbine in the morning sun:

{{gwi:1260767}}

Everything will probably be toast now that the nasty cold is coming back. :( Boo hoo...

G, email me when you get a chance!

MaryS, still working on the hosta. Yes, I like astilbe, I only have one. Moved it around for 3 years and finally found a spot that it likes and it has multiplied like crazy.

Angie! Don't leave us hanging!

Dang, now it's dark!

~ Canna

• juspeachy
    19 years ago

Whoo hoo!!!!

We just got back from the planning board meeting. We have the go ahead for our business. No permits needed, as we are doing an "ag" business, and it will be small, under 5000 sq. ft use area, and under 2000 sq. ft building area.
    I figure on 3 greenhouses eventually, and the gift shop. Will start with the one GH, and go up to 3.
    So, we are all set. Now I need to get all the work done that needs doing before we can install the first GH.

Canna,
    Absolutely gorgeous pics.

Dawn,
    I just love your forsythia arch. I have huge bushes, and they used to be outstanding, but now the sparrows sit in them and eat all the buds, or knock them off, so they are just "blah" with a few scattered flowers here and there.

Yes, we are supposed to get sn** too,(I refuse to say it, it is a 4 letter word)They are calling for it in the higher elevations, and of course, that is right where I am.
    Had a frost this morning, not too horrible, but had to scrape it off the car.

I just wanted to come and share my news with my friends.
    Thank you all for the encouragement, and well wishes.
    You guys are so wonderful. (just think, once I am open and buying wholesale, all the great DL's I will have to share. Hehehe)Ohhhhhh yeahhhh, I am excited just thinking about it.

OK, it is bed time, I am doing the happy dance,as I go off to bed.

Good night everyone,
    Jo

• marozeckinj
    19 years ago

congrats jo & jo's DH. It feels so good when you follow your dreams doesn't it???

dawn glad to see you survived this weird weather. It was 87 here yesterday and 65 today, calling for the s* here too.

still recovering from 12 hour work day
    MELISSA

• jaceysgranny
    19 years ago

Congratulations Jo! Sounds like ya'll are good to go! Your box is going out tomorrow so be looking for it.

Love all the pics! The forsythia arch is awesome!

Cody, sounds like you racked up today. Lucky you, I'm sure your gardens will be even more beautiful. I'd love to see some pics.

CindyO sorry about your grandmother. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Debbie, more prayers for you and your family too.

It was 87 here today and so humid! ugh!!! but now they are saying 61 for a high Saturday and 34 for a low! #$*$#&$# It's too late for all that. I have stuff blooming and don't want it to be bitten off. Snow? OMG, you poor mudpies!

Angie? We're waiting and dying to know what you got.

Nancy

• budsnblooms
    19 years ago

Thanks and God bless all of you who are praying for my DH. Carol, your suggestion of a special throw pillow to splint his chest is a great one. I'll see if I can find one tomorrow:)

Dirtpig..You're so sweet, offering to wait until later to receive your box. But luckily, I have been digging all my daylilies up and now have them in pots until I create their permanent beds. Hopefully soon. And I have a couple of special things (special to me anyway) in my greenhouse that I have earmarked for you. Plus there's some other plants that will brighten up your garden. But I may wait to mail the box until Monday as there is a freeze warning here for Saturday. Whats the weather farther north like? When would be the best time to mail to you. I can get it out by Saturday if need be.

Allllright G....You just keep packing in the booty. I know whatever you send will be teriffic. I'll check out yours and Angies ebay sites as soon as I get done here.

Cody....I've also noticed that few nice plants are being offered for trade, and that fewer people are responding to the ones that are offered. I've checked your want list also and I do have a couple of things on your list but nothing is big enough to trade yet. But soon as they are, I'll start drooling over your list again:)I joined the travelling daylilies last July after being stiffed for the 4th time last season. I was happy to find a group that promised only good, reliable traders and everyone I have traded with have gone well beyond what was suggested. Maybe most of the good traders have had the same experiences as you and have formed their own trade groups. But in any case, I'm sorry this has happened to you.

Jo...Congratulations, I know you must be very excited.

Anita...Are you ready for the MG vines yet? LMK

Dawn...You are such a sweetie...we miss your updates about your busy life, your hard work and of course your positive outlook. Your DH is a smart man and recognizes when he has the best.

Marea...The cuttings I'm rooting for you now have the little white bumbs where the roots will grow so maybe it won't be long now. I'll e-mail to let you know when they are ready.

Catbirdsue and Becdav...You both have had major life changes since we traded last year. Cathy, I know you have been very busy with Julie, and Becky between divorce, going to school, and starting a new business, you couldn't have had time to turn around. When you guys are ready and my DH is on the mend, e-mail me, I'd love to trade with you guys again. I really missed you gals.

Better go check out e-bay;) Debbie/budsnblooms

• luvmybulbs
    19 years ago

Hey guys, Nancy, Gloria, Cindy O and Dawn, Phlox is in the mail tomorrow. The orange perfection there were only 2 viable plants! Really p&*&($$ me off. So I kept 1 and one of you guys get the other. And on Laura they only sent 4 in the bag but they were the ones with big roots. So I am calling and complaining tomorrow. So I don't even get Laura, so I will expect one in a trade next year :o)

I am really paranoid about bareroot plants, I can't seem to grow them, that is why I want them shipped or planted. You last 3 I emailed, if I don't hear by Sat. They are going in the ground. Sorry!!!!

And you will have to wait another day on my goody box. The plants are all outside and we had thunderstorms all evening.

JO, I am so happy for you. That is my dream!!!

Cody, it would be hard to trade with you, since you have everything and then some.

Well off to night, night this moonlight crap is killing me!! That and two kids, one dog and one new kitty!!!

Angie :o)

• abitodd
    19 years ago

Hey good peoples,

I have had a busy week....got about 300 Hebe's in on Monday and I now have them all potted. I also got my tiny bog garden done today and it turned out better than I thought it would. I also got 3 boxes of plants in today...I almost got all of them planted...still have a few sitting in water, guess I will get to them tomorrow if I can get out of bed. I am so tired and hurt so bad but I have enjoyed every seconded in the garden. Push on is what I will be doing...lol

Carol...Oh my...my box came today and you did a wonderful job, I have tried to grow the daylily Black Spot twice and they where always tiny unhealthy fans that just faded away. The fans you sent are 3 times bigger than the ones I kept getting...just awesome...You just do not know how floored I was at the plants you sent...by the way I soaked them and planted them right up. My daughter laughed when we where unpacking the box and she was telling me the names of the daylilies...when she got to the Red Volunteer she just cackled...we had just had a conversation not 20 minutes before the mail-lady got here about having never seen it anywhere. I was standing there dumbfounded wondering what on earth it could be when she told me we would get to see it now. You had that box packed. Ok everyone this is what I got today from carol...
    Daylilies
    Red Volunteer
    Black Spot
    Charles Johnston
    Dahlias
    Purple w/ white tips
    I forgot the other sorry
    Alstromia
    Dwarf Pink.,
    ???? no tag.. Mystery ;)~
    Iris
    Purple and white
    Euonymus - I love these and I did not have this one
    Euphorbia - I have wanted one of these but have never gotten one so I am very excited about this one.
    Last but certainly not least I got a variety of plant markers. Thanks a Million Carol

Canna...Oh I sure hope my baby makes it so that I will I one just like yours next year :)

Joey...I think I have somemore of the Turks cap coming up..I am sure hoping it is. Please keep your fingers crossed. I hope I have gotten rid of the vole problem. They have completely eaten the roots off of everything in that bed. I have the tiny things marked and if that is what they are I will send them your way. I have a friend that is out of the country but should be back next week and she has them so I will get some of hers if I can and send.

Cody, I am going to try to go through and see what I can get together and send to you next week. I will email you with what I come up with. Please do not worry about sending me anything right now. You know what I want so just hang on to a few things for me till a bit later ok? I just have no idea when or where I am going to have time to plant since I have to make new beds just to get some of my pots emptied. I plan to spen the day Sunday getting together a few trades I have to send and will pack up a box for you as well.

To the rest of you I have fingers crossed that the snow goes way north and the warm tempatures reach all once and for all. Hope everyone gets to play in the dirt this weekend.

Deni

• cody_mi
    19 years ago

thanks for letting me know deni, i was going to email you tomorrow about it!

i'm completely over the dahlia thing now, i'm only a little dissappointed because one of them is for my partner and now i'm kind of embarrassed to send it to her. but i did save the best looking one for her. i couldn't find any dahlias locally and i didn't have enough time to have any shipped in and i killed all of mine from last year.

i will be taking some pictures probably this weekend. if you guys promise not to laugh at the mess i have going on!! if you want to see some pics from last year you can visit my webshots album.

if you take a look at my want list you'll see that i definetely don't have everything!! i work really hard on my collections and it insults me when i get offered crap. i know i shouldn't feel this way, but i do. people don't understand, this is more than an hobby for me, it's litterally an obsession, i can't stop. i'm not even joking a little bit. i don't know very many people that are even half as bad as i am. i have no other hobbies except for the chickens(which is another subject i take crap for). horticulture is all that i am and all that i'll ever be. i keep plants i don't like, just because they're plants. it's a good thing i have lots of space.

on a happier and less crazy note, i noticed i have buds on peony sorbet and daylily moses' fire in the greenhouse. the outside peonies are only about two inches tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2004 garden pics

• abitodd
    19 years ago

Cody,

Wanted to touch on the subject of trading...first so sorry to hear you got burned on the dahlia's as I have had the same problem this year. I made a trade for dahlia's for daylilies and the dahlias I got where dried up and still have not done anything. I am hoping they will but so far nothing. I am not good at growing dahlia's so it could be me. I have had some awesome trades this year. The worst one I have sent this year was to Joey as when I walked into the garden the morning I dug his things I almost broke my leg from the trench I steped into unknowningly. When I started moving the mulch back and digging every plant had been chewed up. It took less that 24 hours to hit several drug stores and buy all the caster oil I could get my hands on and I soaked the ground all over. Had some really pretty and shiny plants. Now back to what I was going to say. I sent several trades that where pretty big back in the fall and got tiny sickly plants in exchange. I swore I was not going to trade with anyone again...then spring fever hit and I made a trade that went beautifully so I did a few others. I have been super pleased but I have also been pretty careful as to who I trade with. I have met some great people and have gotten some plants that I can not find around here and the mail order thing has been very disappointing to me so I have taken some chances. I look at it like this...if you burn me once you will never get a second chance to do it again. As I said in the above post I got three boxes of plants in today and I could not be more pleased in the boxes I got. Carols was awesome, besides Carols I made a trade with a guy in NC for some sedums and a few other things, well here is what he sent me
    Sedum 'Carmen' x1
    Sedum 'Neon' x2
    *Caryopteris 'Worcester Gold' x1
    *Physocarpus 'Diablo' - ninebark x1
    Sedum 'Kamschaticum variegatum' x2
    Centranthus Ruber 'Jupiter's Beard' x2
    Stachys Byzantia 'Helen von Steine' x 2
    The box weighed 14 pounds. I would have paid $200 at any nursery around here for the size plants he sent me. He even added a few extra things. I will be trading with him again. The Centranthus Ruber 'Jupiter's Beard' are both sitting in 5 gallon buckets...that is how big they are. The sedums have no growing room at all in the 3 gallon pots I put them in as a temp home till I get the new bed ready. It was completely unbelievable. The other trade I got was for an Orange Flowering Maple and a few Chinese Lanterns. The flowering maple was 3 feet tall and my daughter counted 63 flowers and buds on it and it was still in dirt and looked awesome. It has been a wonderful day in my Neiborhood. Ok It is 2am and I need to be in the garden at 6am so I wish everyone and great day with lots of blooms.

Deni

• cody_mi
    19 years ago

deni thats great, thats one reason i almost always insist on recieving my end first. that way i can send equal size and quality plants. this time i wanted to make sure i had the dahlia in time for mary's box to go out, so i sent immediately. guess i should have stuck to the tried and true way.
    cody

• mary_s
    19 years ago

Good Morning!

Cody, I am sorry about the bad dahlia trade you had! I will try hard to make you smile with the package from me!I will be getting things all ready this weekend to go Monday! I think I found a few things on your "wish" list and some surprises you do not have! I have had a few "bad"trades but the good ones far out weigh the bad! The worst is when you go to alot of trouble and send nice stuff and you get nothing back...not even acknowledgement that they got them!That is disheartening!

Canna, lovely pictures! No hurry on the hosta rock! I may go ahead and send your hostas next week! I would like to get them to you before they completely unfurl!

Dawn, Glad to see you are OK! I love what you did with the Forsythia arch! I have some of those pesky rabbits in my yard too! GRRRR!

Time to go to work! MaryS

• toomanyanimals
    19 years ago

Jo, thanks for the seed advice. Loved the pic of the bulb garden. Mine are pretty much all over the garden, hopefully to be hidden by the other plants when the bloom dies. Great to hear things are going well with the start of the business.

MaryS, it is so exciting to get that first order of Daylilies. I 'totally' understand. lol

Cody, looked at your slide show. How great to have so much room - how much property do you have? Maybe we can do an oriental poppy trade next year. I have several started from seed this year.

Gloria - Oh, I was so pleased to be able to send you the cute name tags. I bought the tags when Franks Nursery was going out of business. I bought all they had left and thought it would be more than enough. (how silly of me!). I have to tell you they cost $8.00 for 10, but I got them for $1.00 for 10. The name of the package says Classic Inpressions Garden. Says to use the Rapicup plant label marker (which I could never find). So I used my labeler for the names. Also, they came with little pieces of thin wire to tie them onto the plant, doesn't work with Daylilies. So I went to homedepot, asked around and finally got (get this) 'drop ceiling wire'. Worked perfectly. I bent the wire into the shape you have and 'Wahlah', you have the complete tag. I have never used them so I hope they last. They are made of Stainless Steel, so should be fine. Glad you got a chuckle out of the Adkins drinks.

Dawn - I know what you mean about Shirleys list. Daunting!
    Have a great time on your vacation. I know we will hear about all the stuff you buy. Loved the bunny picture. One of my cats loves to eat my DL's. The seedlings in the basement always pose a problem for me and her. Wow, I'd love to do the Forsythia Arch, but I can't even seem to get a climbing rose to live and grow on an arch. I would never have the patience to wait 8 years!!!!! Priceless!

Canna - never knew there was var. weigela. And I have to ask, where did you end up putting your Astilbe. I have mine planted in my small shade areas. Maybe not wet enough though since they do bloom, but it is not impressive at all. I've often thought about tradeing them away, but I'd love to get them really going.

We joined the Arbor Day Foundation this year. Just got the 10 tree seedlings. They are temp. planted. It will be interesting to see how many make it.

Sharon (ok, I'll start using my name)

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

I found dahlias at our Lowe's store yesterday for 50% off and they still had a good selection. They have all their bulbs 50% off. I like to find the ones that have new growth on them and you know they are not DEAD.

Jo - I have not forgot you, I found iris Aaron's Bonus, looking for the other ones you wanted.

Deni - I will check plants from your want list this week-end and let you know what I do have. I just traded off the Louisiana irises for daylilies so I know I don't have those. Everyone is finally figuring out how easy they are to take care of. They love sun or shade, and wet or dry. What more can you ask for. I plan to buy lots more this year. I am going through the catalog now.

Shirley

• cody_mi
    19 years ago

sharon
    my parents have eight acres, but all of my families property connects so i have somewhere around 110 acres to work on. none of the other family members does much in the way of gardening.
    about the poppy trade, no way jose!! i've been trying to get rid of my poppies for three years now and i always seem to miss some. i'll throw some victoria louise in your box if you want. it's the pink one in the pic. i do have a few little peices that i'll keep.
    time to go feed animals!!

• namso
    19 years ago

Quick checkin to thankyou all for the condolances on the loss of my grandmother. She was very special to me and i will miss her terribly.

Debbie, Keeping you and DH in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Angie, so glad you like your box. Thankyou for holding mine.

Hope to catch up on rest soon......

Cindy O/namso

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Cindy - how did I miss that?? :(( I'm so sorry you lost your grandmother. I'm sure that she was very special to you.

Debbie - Keeping you & DH in my prayers too.

Cody - your gardens are great! I'm sorry you had a bad trade. Seems to me like the trading community doesn't seem as active this year. The discussion are is very quiet. Where did all the good people go. Oh I know, they're all here! :)

Melissa - say it ain's so - sn&* for Jersey. I'm done with winter! I want only warm weather!

Boy, everyone's already busy trading! I'm still trying to plant what I got last year.

Shirley - I'm going to have to go to Walmart. I need another Dahlia for this month's trade!

I'm off today so it's catchup day on all my chores. In case anyone didn't remember, I do ebay too. Does it ever slow down?

Ellen

• toomanyanimals
    19 years ago

The weather channel is saying 6 to 10 inches of snow for us on Sat. night. It's a nightmare! I hope they are wrong!

• cannahavana
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Closing this one out and starting another!

Canna