SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
archerb_gw

Soil question

archerb
14 years ago

My soil sux. It's red clay with some black clay mixed in. When it rains, it turns to potting clay. When it's dry, it's brick. I did OK in it last year, but this year, I want to do better.

Every year, I cover the garden with wood mulch, home made compost (mostly coffee grounds with filters) and lawn clippings. I've done this in the front flower bed for years (mulch only) and not the soil up there is actually pretty good. I hope to have my backyard tomato area as good or better in the next few years.

For this year, I plan on digging holes for the tomatoes and moving the red clay somewhere else. How deep and wide should I dig the holes? How deep to tomato roots go? I see no point in digging two feet down if the roots just spread out.

My next question is what kind of soil I should get. I don't have the money to go all out for big bags of Miracle Grow soil, nor do I have the time, space or money for "Earl's hole" method. So, I went to the local organic garden center and looked at what they had. I purchased their "Hill Country Garden Soil". The description is:

"Hill Country Garden Soil is a ready-to-go garden soil. Just add plants, fertilizer and water. The Hill Country Garden is a mix of reclaimed composted topsoil, composted rice hull, decomposed granite and a special blend of composts. It is this compost blend that makes this soil so versatile, as it provides a variety of microbes and nutrients that benefit a wide range of plants. This means that you can grow almost any type of plant in this soil. It is great for natives, perennials, herbs, shrubs, even vegetables. The decomposed granite adds trace minerals and aids the soil drainage. If you are planting very acid-loving plants or cacti, we can recommend amendments that can be added to the Hill Country Garden Soil to make your plants thrive. Hill Country Garden Soil is a Lady Bug Natural Brand Product."

(Most of the "Lady Bug" stuff I've seen is top notch)

They have others. When I go back to get more, should I just get more of what I have, replace it with another "ready to go" soil, or purchase some of the manure blends to mix in?

Here is their soil page.

Thanx!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Natural Gardener Soil Page

Comments (15)