SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ania_ca

Squash Question and Soil Question

ania_ca
14 years ago

Now that I am applying some of the knowledge I've gained here regarding fertilization, etc., my garden is looking much better. In the last two weeks, I've fertilized with fish emulsion, very diluted composted quail manure and kelp (at different times) and everything is picking up and looking happy. I just have a couple of questions.

1) I'm still planting some squash and a couple more Okras. Is it OK to add a little well composted horse manure to my potting soil. By well composted, I mean it is probably 5+ years old. My father just turned over his manure pile on his property. Looks like great organic material to me. Is it OK to add it?

2)My yellow squash plant has had only one lone female flower so far. There haven't been male flowers yet, however, the blossom died and the fruit looks to be growing. Does that mean that it somehow was fertilized? Or will it die? The only other related thing I had blooming at the time that flower was open, with all male flowers so far is Armenian Cucumbers. My zucchini had not bloomed yet.

Ania

Comments (4)