SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Short list of plants for 2010

sue_ct
14 years ago

I only have room for 7 plants in my main garden. I plant a couple of small fruited varieties in large pots. In the garden, last Year I planted:

Early Girl

A red Grape

Brandywine, unknown version

Cherokee Purple

German Johnson

Mortgage Lifter

Kelloggs Breakfast

For next year I am considering substituting KBX instead of Kelloggs Breakfast if I can find it. I want to replace German Johnson and maybe Mortgage Lifter. I am not sure if the problem with ML was all the rain, so not sure if I should give it another chance.

These are the new ones I am considering replacing them with:

Yellow Oxheart, Orange Strawberry or Aunt Gerties Gold (one of the three); and Paul Robeson, Hillbilly, German Red Strawberry, or Cherokee Green (one of those). I might be able to stretch it to one more if it can do with slightly less light.

I buy plants because I don't have the lights and equipment to do it well and it hardly seems worth it for 7 or 8 plants. I am willing to try with a couple to get harder to find varieties, however.

I live in zone 6 CT. Any suggestions, advise or experience is welcome. I want a variety of types, good flavor, either sweet or acid, and I like to have a pleasing variety of colors and shapes. It makes using them that much more fun. But I won't sacrifice taste to get a particular color.

Thanks!

Sue

Comments (23)