SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoppithaven

requesting critique of tomato list for Spring

hoppithaven
16 years ago

First, I want to say thanks for all the inspiration from this forum. Ive been learning a great deal and I would like to request suggestions/critiques of my list of tomatoes for next year. Or, which 8 tomatoes for fresh eating (not canning) in a zone 5 "short-season" climate would you plant? Below the list is a longer explanation and a few other questions if you have time to read it. Thanks for any advice or opinions you care to share!

List so far:

Sungold,

Black cherry

Big Rainbow

Big Beef

Cherokee Purple (OR maybe Eva Purple Ball?)

Aunt GertieÂs Gold OR KellogÂs Breakfast

Brandywine (Sudduth strain) OR Brandy Boy

Early tomato such as Stupice (Stupice supposed to do well in cold-climates, but some threads here seem to indicate that maybe Kimberly tastes better. Another option could be Moskvich.)

More Information:

I have not had much luck with tomatoes so far. For my first garden two years ago, I grew plants indoors from seed, double dug the bed, heavily amended the awful clay soil, and set up a drip system. I grew sweet 100s, early girl, and one labeled yellow pear. The plants stayed small and did not do well. I thought some possible reasons might be that the soil was still not adequate, not quite enough sun facing south-west but maybe too close to the fence), or maybe my seedlings werenÂt strong. So, last year I tried three store-bought plants in whiskey barrels. But again, the plants were small, only one plant had any yield (one of the sweet 100s) and the skin was tough. The Early Girl didnÂt do much at all. (Those were against the south wall of the house, so maybe they got too much heat? I didnÂt know that was possible until reading some posts here!)

After researching, this year I plan to try starting my own seedlings earlier, with a light kit & grow mat. I am going to tear up part of the patio (faces south, lots of sun) and create a raised bed, and hopefully a cold-frame. I should have room for 8 plants. I may try to do more, but those will either have less sun in the old bed or be in the whisky half-barrels.

As for what I am aiming for, I want tomatoes for fresh eating. (I donÂt think I could manage canning yet!) In general, I would like to try:

- a couple of cherries

- a variety of colors of regular or beefsteak tomatoes for slicing.

- both hybrids and heirlooms. (IÂm enjoying learning about heirlooms!)

- Brandywine. IÂve never even tasted a Brandywine tomato and really would like to try it, but IÂve read mixed reports re how it does in the short-season, cool-climate here.)

Would Brandy Boy have a better chance here? Is the flavor really comparable?

So, besides suggestions or critiques of my proposed list (what are good choices, what would you change), I would also appreciate any clarification or explanation about what I did wrong before, or suggestions for my approach this year.

Note: In case this info helps: according to the local Univ Coop Extension, we have an average of 151 frost-free days per year (they also give a range of 134 Â 171 frost-free days.) The varieties they list as consistently performing here are: Big Beef, Celebrity, Early Girl, and Medina.

Thanks again!

hoppity

Comments (12)