SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

Spring Fling Wish List and Info

soonergrandmom
14 years ago

If anyone has a wish for a special plant or maybe a special kind of tomato, or seed that they would like to have, this would be a good time to post it. Someone might have an extra they would be willing to bring along.

Things I learned from my first swap:

(1) Bring a container to put your things in as you trade and collect. I hate to sound selfish, but if it isn't clearly marked as yours, someone may be 'shopping' from your selected plants. You can bring a milk crate, a box, basket, or bucket, but everyone needs to know that it is what you plan to take home, not what you brought to give away. You will not want to keep it in your hands all day.

(2) It would be nice if we had a little place to put pre-arranged trades. Last year, arrangements were made and some people didn't get what they had arranged for because it was assumed that everything was up for grabs. I have seen several people post offers and I am sure that people have made private arrangements with them, so make sure you are shopping at the 'free for everyone' table and not taking someone's pre-arranged trade. For instance, if you take my 'Yummy Pepper' that Dawn is bringing for me, it could get violent. LOL It's just easier to say these things now than it is to wait and maybe have someone get hurt feelings.

(3) There are some incredible generous people on this forum.

(4) I'll bet that you will be surprised at how people look vs the mental picture you have.

(5) It's fun and you will want to do it again.

Comments (114)

• owiebrain
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Only two more days to get stuff done before we hit the road! We're all so stinking excited, we're vibrating!

I'm sewing door prizes tonight and tomorrow, then baking on Friday.

Yee haw!

Diane

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

OK, here's the list of tomato plant varieties I'm planning to bring to the Spring Fling. Read it and drool, then figure out how many of these sweet little plants you want. I'm bringing about 175 tomato plants to the Spring Fling and if someone doesn't adopt them and take them home, they become compost.

1. Baker Creek Family Heirloom
    2. Berkeley Tie Dye
    3. Black Brandywine
    4. Black Cherry
    5. Black Krim
    6. Brandy Boy
    7. Brandymaster, Red
    8. Brandymaster, Yellow
    9. Cherokee Purple
    10. Dana's Dusky Rose
    11. Dixie Golden Giant
    12. Dora
    13. Fabulous
    14. Gary O Sena
    15. Golden Cherokee
    16. Golden Sweet Yellow Grape
    17. Heidi
    18. Heinz 1439
    19. Indian Stripe
    20. JD's Special C-Tex
    21. Jet Star
    22. Juliet
    23. KBX
    24. Mama Leone
    25. Mountain Pride
    26. Mountain Princess
    27. Moreton
    28. Nebraska Wedding
    29. Pink Climber
    30. Prime Time
    31. Rutger's Select
    32. Santa Clara Canner
    33. Sprite
    34. Suncherry
    35. Sungold
    36. Supersonic
    37. Sweet Million
    38. Sweet Treats
    39. Tennessee Britches
    40. Tennessee Heirloom
    41. Tess's Land Race Currant
    42. Texas Star
    43. Tomatoberry
    44. Tumbling Tom Red
    45. Tumbling Tom Yellow
    46. Valena Pink
    47. Yellow Jelly Bean

• Related Discussions

2011 Spring Fling/Swap Invite

Q

Comments (146)
    I would like a small start of orange mint, please, Tigerdawn!!! And Kelly, if Chandra "forgets" (although I just can't see that happening), I've got some growing and we can dig you up some. Mine is on the outside of the garden...to lure away some unwanted insects so let's try to get it out of Chandra's bed first but I've gotcha covered if not. Also, we have a PLETHORA of Chickasaw (wild) plums. Tigerdawn, you took some home last year, how did they do? I've got about 6 or 7 that have insisted on coming up in the OG (Original Garden)...and I'm determined to dig them out once and for all this year. We've also got them coming up in other areas that we just mow down. They have a really pretty bark in the winter months. If time permits, I'll pot some of those up too if anyone is interested. I took a huge tub of starts to Ilene (who once was a member here) last September and I'm very happy to report that many survived the winter in Bartlesville! We're close to needing to start another thread. If someone gets there before I do, please name it "2011 Spring Fling Thread II"...or something like that so we can find it later. Oh mercy...I'm listening to the 10 o'clock weather and looks like some of us may need to replace some things due to a freeze tonite. This "Fling" might turn out to be quite active!
    ...See More

NEW: Incredible Edibles Spring Fling Salad Swap

Q

Comments (78)
    Hi everybody! I'm glad you're all happy with your seeds! It's always a lot of fun hosting these things and seeing all the different varieties that people send in, so thanks to all of you for participating! Garden_love, I got your package sent back to my address today. It looks like the label with your address came off, so the envelope had my address on it again (it was under the label). Anyhow, I'll send it back out tomorrow. Happy Gardening! -Julia
    ...See More

What's on your spring wish list?

Q

Comments (15)
    I just placed my 14th (15th? 40th?...lost track) order with Epiphytica. Ordered: EPC 7 archboldiana variegated EPC 959 hoya hybrid EPC 899 linusii EPC 117 megalaster EPC 863 buotii variegated EPC 929 vitellinoides x sp. UT-001 EPC 901 obtusifolia orange EPC 216 maxima (red corolla) EPC 742 mitrata splash EPC 838 nilotica EPC 946 aff. chewiorum (H 72) EPC 962 hamiltonirum (had this on reserve for awhile) EPC 766 hoya caudata gold (have one, love it so much, needed a second) EPC 701 dennisii gold ridge EPC 779 sp. EPC 779 EPC 202 sp. EPC 202 EPC 932 sp. EPC 932 EPC 473 sp. PNG-SV-435 EPC 668 sp. PNG-SV-436 EPC 486 sp. TN-99-023 EPC 897 sp. UT-217 EPC 850 sp. UT-218 EPC 851 sp. UT-223 ...and I put on reserve hoya platycaulis (EPC 657)!
    ...See More

Belated Spring Fling!

Q

Comments (16)
    Bruce, A lot of us repurpose old blinds that way. I've done it for 10 or 15 years. One blind, cut up into the sizes you want, can give you a gazillion plant labels. I cut the blinds up, put the plant labels in a gallon-sized ziplock bag and stick it in my seed box, which is a large Sterilite storage container. If you want permanent labels that don't fade, you can use the Industrial Sharpies sold at Lowe's or Home Depot. Their ink doesn't fade in sunlight and I've had labels made using them last at least 5 years. I used to buy pricier garden marking pens online, but once I discovered the Industrial sharpies, I found I could get several of them for the price/shipping costs of garden marking pens ordered from seed companies. If you want to reuse the plant labels, use a regular Sharpie, though these generally fade within a few months. With some markers, you can scrub the seemingly permanent words off the miniblind slat with just a little rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. Then, not to be wasteful, I use the top part of the miniblind as a stake after all the cord and slats are removed, and save the cord to use to tie plants to stakes or trellises. For prettier plant labels, every time we empty out a jar of home-canned goods, I save the flat lid that cannot be re-used. When I get a few dozen or whatever, I spray paint them with either dark green or terra cotta spray paint. I then drill or punch a hole in them so I can run a wire or string through them. You can write plant names of them with Sharpies, paint pens, whatever, and attach them to the plants. They are pretty little markers made from a flat lid that otherwise would have gone into the trash. I haven't made any new ones lately, so I have a couple hundred used flat lids waiting to be painted. These look especially nice with perennials, but I also use them for veggies, herbs and fruit trees. Lisa, I think some years we have had bundles of mini-blind plant stakes at the Spring Fling as door prizes, haven't we? They are incredibly useful. I've always stuck them in the ground near the plant they belong with, but I'm getting too old (and my garden is getting too snakey) to bend over all summer and stick my fingers in the mulch and dig around looking for the label, so next year I'm going to try using a hole punch to punch a hole in the miniblind slat. Then I can use a zip tie or an old twisty tie off a bread bag to attach the label to the front of the tomato cage at eye level so it is easy to find and read. Some years I also have used duct tape to attach the plant labels to the stakes that I use to stake the tomato cages, but they become buried under the foliage after a while. Dawn
    ...See More
  • owiebrain
    14 years ago

Ooh, I've gotta swipe a Tess. I meant to order seeds and forgot.

Diane

• seedmama
    14 years ago

I'm staying away until everyone else gets a shot at Dawn's list. But for obvious reasons I'm putting in for a #10! Never even knew it existed.

• mrsfrodo
    14 years ago

Dawn, I would LOVE a clove currant. Ever since reading Lee Reich's book on edible landscaping, I have had it on the list. Never seen it anywhere though.

I do have to warn you and anyone I have trades with (I think only soonergrandmom- sweet autumn clematis) that it has been up and down with scheduling. Right now it looks like I will be there. Of course, I have'nt started digging up anything!LOL! I was hooing to avoid the last minute swap rush, but no luck. Oh well, it is like shopping and prepping on Christmas Eve for the big day.

Can't wait to see everyone!

Andria

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will be bringing tomatoes also, but I see things on Dawn't list I would like. I would love another Tess, because only one of mine germinated. I also would like to grow a tumbling tom or two in a handing pot. Talk about greed......I have more than I have room for now. LOL

• normansooner
    14 years ago

Tigerdawn -- I'd love to have "a little" of your orange mint and "a whole lot" of your blue spruce sedum.I've got a new rock bed that is aching for groundcover, and the blue spruce would be ideal.

Does anyone have time to take some photos of their gardens/yards to bring Sat??? Even looking at the pictures on each others cameras would be great. If you have time to send pictures to me via email, I could put them on my laptop and bring it.We're running out of time till Sat,(yes, I know the clock is ticking!) but I just really want to see what everybody's stuff looks like.

Dorice

• Lisa_H OK
    14 years ago

Dorice, I have a photobucket account. There's too many to print, but you are more than welcome to look at them.

The main file, the Yard Shots file and the butterfly convergence file all have pics of my flowers.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisa's Photobucket

• seedmama
    14 years ago

Here's an updated list of what I am bringing in addition to broccoli salad.

Sweet Banana Pepper sprouts (way too small to call plants)
    Jalapeno M Pepper sprouts
    Dahlia Unwin's Dwarf I sowed two crates of these specifically for the swap. It has not been warm enough for them to germinate, but I'm brining them anyway, because I just don't need 2 crates in addition to what should sprout for me.
    Agastache plants
    One or more door prizes
    Dessert

I will dig up the following for anyone who requests by noon Friday (supplies are limited):
    Tall Phlox
    Strawberries
    very limited supply of Ajuga

Looking forward to seeing everyone?

mrsfrodo, any chance you'll be bringing zuchetta again this year? That was an amazing thing to grow.

• mrsfrodo
    14 years ago

Paula- I think I am going to bring a big grain salad- think taboleh, made with quinoa & lots of parsley. I am hoping to bring the book "Carrots Love Tomatoes" for a door prize.

Seed mama- I don't have any zuchetta started, but I would be glad to bring some seeds. They are a few years old, but so are all my curbit seeds and they have germinated well.

Dawn- I'm hoping for a Black Cherry tomato, although I have no idea where I am going to put it.

Susanlynne- It seems like you were looking for a large pot for a tree. How large do you need (diameter & height?)? I might have one that would work.

If any one has any seeds for storage tomatoes, I would love some for fall tomoatoes.

The peppers were a bust w/ seed starting. Any one with Relleno's, Anco/Poblano, and Bell pepers?

Since I haven't started pot up anything, here's what is in the yard. If you ask, that will be what I pot first.
    Chives- white flowered
    Orange daylilies
    Stella d'Oro daylilies
    Yellow Coreopsis
    Sweet Autumn Clematis
    Pink shamrocks
    Star of Bethlehem
    Iris- rust with purple
    Parsley
    Saffron crocus
    Mums- White with pink
    Surpise Lilies/Naked Ladies
    Mint
    A few misc extra's from seed starting: tomatoes, cucs, squash/zucchini, basil, chard, etc.

I have extra, empty flats to give away. I collected way too many from the landscapers at work.

Andria

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

Andria, I have some Burpee LongKeeper tomato seeds if you'd like them. They're maybe 2-3 years old, a partial packet from Pinetree. I just don't think I'll ever get around to planting them. Holler if you want them and I'll cram them in my purse tonight because I know I'll forget them if I wait or put them elsewhere. (You may have to remind me to dig in my purse at the swap. LOL)

Diane

• p_mac
    14 years ago

Andria - I think that grain salad sounds great!!! I can't wait to taste everything that you all are bringing! I've been on a mission to change my eating patterns (aka "diet") and in 10 day's, I've lost 6 lbs. Between working in the garden and walking 2 miles everyday, I finally growing some "junk in my trunk"! LOL! I'm saving all my "cheats" for Saturday! I FINALLY got the chicken ordered today.

Seedmama - it was you, wasn't it that wanted the not-hot jalepenos.

Andria - I've got some Big Bertha's and Commandant bells started for the swap. I'll have a few left of the San Martin Ancho's and Numex Sunrise Ancho's too (they're yellow and medium heat). I've also got your Black Cherry! I wouldn't mind a few of the Stella d'Oro daylillies IF you have time, but don't worry if not. I think they're beautiful and my MIL is a bit stingy with hers. heh!

Looks like I should have started more peppers because we're going to have plenty of tomatoes.

I'm running around like a CRAZY PERSON getting ready. If I stay busy it won't seem like so long before you all get here!!!! Looks like weather-wise, we're going to have a beautiful day!

Signed,
    Nutso Newbie

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Andria, I can probably spare a few peppers. How many are you looking for? I take any and all seed trays and small pots, so if you bring them, don't expect to take them home. I won't take them if anyone else wants them, but I can always use more. Thanks. Carol

• p_mac
    14 years ago

Carol- I think I have some of the hardplastic little cups to share with you. I've really liked the ease of the styrofoam cups so I'm going to stick with that. DH says I have to buy them at Sams next year cause I've gone thru so many. Sorry, I'm being stingy with my trays...heh!

• Lisa_H OK
    14 years ago

Seedmama, I would love some tall phlox.

Mrs. Frodo: Can I have a few surprise lilies?

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

Two door prizes are finished and I think I'll get another one or two done as well. (My pr-mary sewing machine is in the shop so I'm using my cantankerous secondary -- and it's giving me fits. Because of that, my door prizes will have a definite homemade look to them. Heh.)

Tomorrow starts the baking!

Sorry, just so excited about the swap that I feel the need to give you all a play-by-play. LOL Is it Saturday yet?!

Diane

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

Paula, would you like some help getting ready on Saturday morning? I can come whenever you need and I am strong and can lift and carry things.

I'm making some little graph paper gardening books for prizes or giveaways. I also have some old mini greenhouse seed starting kits that my boss gave me. They're dirty but still good. We don't have to use them but someone may want them.

Tomorrow evening is set aside for the humongous apple pie. ;-) Are there any other gaps in the menu?

• seedmama
    14 years ago

p_mac- yes, ma'am, that was me on the no heat.

mrsfrodo, I'd like to grow one plant of the zucchetta, and remind me to tell you the story from last year. Let others have first shot at the surprise lilies. If you have any left, I'd like to get a couple started.

lisa- gotcha covered on the tall phlox

dawn- I haven't seen you post any wishes...

Did I respond to all? If I missed you, let me know.

SM

• impatience_7
    14 years ago

I sure would like some tall phlox as well, if there is enough.

I am still planning on bringing coleslaw.

imp

• p_mac
    14 years ago

Seedmama - I've got all yours set aside. Several have 2 that sprouted in one cup...so you've got at least 10+ plants coming your way

Andria - yours too!!!

tigerdawn - thank you! I don't think I'll have that much to do...DH is in charge of setting up the tables and I'll only have 2 large flats to lug out...but if you want to come a bit early I could use the companionship! I don't think we have any gaps in the food. These thing always work out to be a feast...just make sure you bring that apple pie!!! I'll be here after running last minute errands, puttering around after 10:30 or so.

O M G....did I REALLY call this party???? This is really the first "cold feet" I've had .... I'm so scared I've forgotten something. But the Good News is .... I know you all are giving and forgiving...so it's all good!

Paula aka Nutso Newbie aka Nervous Nellie

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

Paula,

Please don't get all in a tizzy (is that really a word?) trying to knock yourself out for this gathering. I'm sure I speak for the majority that when we're sitting under a nice shade tree with a cool breeze on our face, the world is a perfect place. We'll enjoy getting together, meeting new friends or seeing familiar faces. You providing such a wonderful, relaxing setting is picture perfect just as it is. So take a deep breath and get ready for all the smiles that will come your way.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Lynn

• mrsfrodo
    14 years ago

soonergranmom- I have plenty of trays- just got to remember a way to tie them down in the truck.

seedmama- I get a few zuchetta seeds set aside for you. I abused mine the year I grew them, so I would love to know how they did for you.

Paula- Stella's have your name on them. Yeah a black cherry. I thread here sold me on the flavor.

Lisa- There are some suprise lilies where they need to be moved. There are now "Lisa's lilies".

Diane- I would love some long keeper tomatoes.

Paula and Sooner grandma- I think I was looking for a total of 3 bells, 3 ancho/poblanos, and 3 rellenos. My husbands cayennes were the only peppers that germinated- and he doesn't look beyond cayennes for peppers. Think 9 peppers are enough for 1 person? BLT's are GREAT with a little bell pepper. Hmmmm......Summer morning breakfast in the summer.

• seedmama
    14 years ago

Paula,
    Take a deep breath and relax. I didn't meet anyone at last year's swap who would fall into the "ladies who lunch" category. If they did, it was well hidden. We're just a diverse group of down to earth gardeners who want to get together and are grateful you've given us a place to do it. No one is expecting you to "entertain" us, and you've already go above and beyond. Thanks so much!

Seedmama

• p_mac
    14 years ago

you'll all be getting ready to make the trip if you're not already on the road!!!!

The Porta-Potty is here! Just delivered!!!! I'm really impressed with this company! It's so clean you can even smell it! It came fully stocked with hand-sanitizer AND T-P! I think it's going to be worth every penny!

Now I'm off to replace a mater and pepper that didn't survive the transplant...but I'm not putting anything else in the garden until Sunday. I can't stand the thought of Dawn throwing any left-over tomatoe starts in the compost pile...hehe!

Paula

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Andria, I'll be bringing a mix of pepper plants if I can squeeze one more flat into the pickup. (Paula, I don't want for you to pass out when I start unloading flat after flat of plants. You know how I am....I grow too many, and I'm bringing bunches and bunches with me.) There will be some hots, some sweets and some ornamental ones (their fruit is edible too although most folks can't take their heat).

Seedmama, I don't have a big wish list....I have too many plants (OK, that shouldn't surprise anyone) and too little improved soil as it is here). I am hoping to get one of Diane's elderberries and some of Tigerdawn's orange mint.

I'm sure a few other plants will spontaneously jump into my arms.

It sounds like everyone is/has been meticulously potting up all kinds of goodies, dividing bulbs, tubers and perennials, etc. and simultaneously reading through this thread and maniacally plotting new acquisitions and where to put them! Honestly, you'd think we all have 'a little plant addiction' going on. That's not true, is it?

Paula, Relax and coast now....you've done all the hard work with organizing and preparing, and I hope you can just relax and enjoy the whole gang tomorrow....and what a group we will be!

Oh, and if anyone wants to try Rhubarb as either an edible or an ornamental plant, I'm bringing a lot of seedlings. I raised these from seed sown either in Feb. or March and I sowed a whole packet because I've never grown Rhubarb from seed and had no idea what kind of germination I'd get (100%, apparently). Rhubarb is one of those plants I keep trying and trying to grow. Usually, I cannot keep it alive through the summer though. I think it doesn't like our heat and our all-too-common summer droughts. Last year, it likely would have been happy, but last year I didn't plant any, naturally. This year, I'll put some in full sun, some in dappled shade, and see if I have better luck. Tim likes it so I keep trying and trying to raise it. If I can't keep these plants alive through the summer, I'll sow more seed in the fall and try to overwinter it so it will spring up out of the ground next year and make enough stalks to keep Tim happy before it dies in the July/August heat.

OK, I need to get outside and do some garden-type work.

I'll check back later for the 'latest news update'.

By the way, did all you OU fans notice that Sam Bradford was the #1 pick in the first round of the NFL Draft last night, and several other Sooners and one OSU Cowboy went pretty high too....like in the top ten or twelve. It looks like the NFL has 'harvested' some talented young men from our state this year. OK, so the NFL Draft isn't gardening-related, and I know that, but I was just so excited to see these young men achieve their dream of being drafted by NFL teams.

Dawn

• devilwoman
    14 years ago

I got the following dug up and potted yesterday:

I think I have 6 .
    2 of what I hope is catnip, but some other similar thing is also growing so I can only hope I got the right one.
    9 white datura/angel's trumpets
    4 that I think are the purple angel's trumpets, the under side of the tiny leaves on them do look decidedly purple.
    4 or 5 I think there are 5, but my sister may claim one before we get there.

I also apprehended 3 escapees who'd gone over the wall and through the fence (bird netting) into the yard. So I have 3 pots with everbearing Ozark Beauty strawberries.

I'm running out of pots. I have even reused every one I got at the swap last year. I still want to dig up a red canna or two, but I may not be able to put them in pots although if they get replanted right away I'm not sure they will care. I think I still have some that haven't yet sprouted.

I also have a {{gwi:1099130}} that's in too much shade to be happy. If it hasn't yet started sprouting I can dig it up and bring it, too.

Debra

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Andria, I'm not seedmama, but I grow Zucchetta and love it. I only had a few seeds left this year so I hope mine germinate. I will order new seed for it next year.

First of all, it is prolific, and the squash are very large, but all of the seeds are in the bulb part and when eaten as summer squash the seeds are insignificant. I cooked it all of the same ways I cook summer squash, plus I sliced the skinny parts and made squash pickles.

Insects were not a problem for me at all.

The only negative is that it is H-U-G-E, and you need a big place for it to run. Mine were in a huge container and they climbed a 6 foot CRW cage, back down the cage and onto the ground about 12-15 feet in several directions. Growing vertical they are straighter, and on the ground they tend to curl.

One more thing. I wonder how stable it is because I planted 3 seeds and one of them produced a harder fruit which I just discarded. The other two vines produced perfect fruit everytime.

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

Andria, the LongKeeper seeds are in my purse -- remind me! LOL

I'm linking below to a sneak preview of the door prizes I'm bringing. :-D

Here is a link that might be useful: I'm not good at keeping secrets!

• littledog
    14 years ago

Well fizzle. It looks like DH is getting called back to work and I'll end up having to go to Perryton, TX tomorrow. I'm going to have to miss all the fun. :^(

Have a great day everyone; I'll be with you in spirit.

• elkwc
    14 years ago

Diane,
    Enjoyed the pictures of the items you made. My Mother loved to sew and was a very accomplished seamstress. Reminded me of precious memories I have of her sewing. A lost art for so many anymore. My Mother was such a perfectionist that she would make my younger sister tear things out and redo them and really killed her interest in sewing. Was easier to let MeMa do it. I felt for her as she continued to sew till her passing. But with the Parkinson's disease she could no longer make the perfect stitches ect she once did. For a while it frustrated her till she finally accepted her limitations. I know whoever wins the prizes will cherish them. Jay

• mrsfrodo
    14 years ago

Uh... would someone please send me the address and/or map. I can't seem to find it.

A sheepish Andria;)

• p_mac
    14 years ago

as Dawn would say..."Good Heavens, Woman!" teehee!!! I'll send it again right now! You've got to get here! You have goodies waiting!

Paula aka no-longer Nervous Nellie....

aren't you guys here yet?????

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

I'll be there in 15 hours!!

• p_mac
    14 years ago

Littledog - dang it! Doesn't his job know that his wife has a garden life? j/k....my DH was out of a job for 15 months. Gotta give your man credit. In this economy, no one can "fluff off" a paying job. We will miss you! But there's always the fall and next spring!

Tigerdawn - IIIIIII KNOW!!! I'm SO excited!!! Since you're so close I know you'll be here a bit earlier than some of the others and I'm READY!!! A few of things I would rather have finished before you guys all got here aren't done...but OH WELL! I'm over it! I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

I still haven't remembered those danged balloons that I told you all to look for. If I have half a brain in the morning, I'll pick them up when I run my last errand. Other than that, look for a sign by our drive that DH is finishing as I type this. It says "OK GW FLING". This is the Happenin' Place, where the party starts....and I can't wait to see all of you!

Sadly....this time tomorrow it will all be over...except for the planting. You all know I'm probably going to be the one to start a thread about "the after party", right? heh!

Paula

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Diane, Oh, what a door prize! I'm going to be insanely jealous (in a nice way, of course) of whoever wins the door prizes you've made!

Little Dog and Jay, We'll miss y'all both, and I hope y'all can make it to the next gathering.

Paula, We are not there yet, no, but when we arrive.....I don't want you to think we're moving in or anything, but the whole truck is packed to the gills, so we're going to sort of look like "The Beverly Hillbillies Arriving At Paula's". There are flats of plants and the napkins, plates etc. in the cab of the truck with us, and then in the bed of the truck, there's all those tables, and Tim's EMS bag, and....cardboard boxes galore, each holding a flat of plants to protect them from the wind. So, don't get excited...we are not bringing you a cookware set, a fire safe, a meat smoker, etc., just cardboard boxes of plants. We also won't have Jethro or Elly Mae either.

If there is anything we have forgotten, it is too late now because the truck will not hold one more thing. I think I'm bringing too many plants, but it is too late now because they're all packed and loaded up.

See y'all tomorrow at Paula's!

Dawn

• p_mac
    14 years ago

BRING IT! I'M READY!!! Well...I've got to shower first because....um, I've been outside working in the yard all day. I promise to be clean or close when you all get here.
    Do I get dibbs on the cardboard? LOL! just kidding...sorta!

Diane's goodies are just so stinkin' cute! AND clever! I'm going to have to find some of that tomatoe fabric....
    Tell Tim that I, myself, very much appreciate him coming along for the ride!

And to all you others I'll probably only get a chance to check in here maybe once more in the morning, but I think most of you have maps...(right Andria? lol!) and/or my cell so if anything come up, call me!

I hope I can sleep tonite. I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa Claus! See you all soon!
    Paula

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

The apple pie is in the oven! It is in a giant casserole dish!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Paula,

I've been saving these cardboard boxes forever to use for 'something' and normally I use them under mulch, but I think it would be hard to transport them back home empty on the interstate so you can have them if you want them. If you don't want them, we'll collapse them flat and put them underneath the tables and haul them home. I wouldn't want to leave my 'junk' there for you to take care of. But, if you want them to use under mulch or whatever, they're yours.

I hope I can sleep well too...I'm so excited that it wouldn't surprise me if I don't.

Tigerdawn, Mmmmm! I can smell that pie baking right now.

Dawn

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

Thanks, Jay and everyone. Sewing is a little passion of mine. My grandma made me handsew, over and over again, until each little stitch was perfect, so I know a little of what your sister went through. Fortunately for me, I was a little perfectionist so it fit me but it did get frustrating. I still can't stand it when my stitches aren't perfect -- like when my machines mess up (or even hand sewing when I resort to that). Drives me batty!! But I'm learning to deal with it as I get older, trying to find patience with myself and all that. (Still drives me crazy, though!)

Thunderstorm woke me up and now I'm hungry. I only went to bed at midnight so I should be good and loopy for the swap today! LOL We're pulling out of the driveway at 7 sharp.

Diane

• melissia
    14 years ago

I have a cold with a low grade fever and cough to go with it; so I'm not going to make it. I'm super disappointed ; (. I started feeling bad yesterday, but was hoping it was allergies. But since I have the low grade fever, I'm thinking it's not allergies.

If anyone would like some seeds from the hibiscus or the black hollyhocks email me and I'll mail you some.

Also, I was bringing cups and ice so could someone handle that for Paula? I'd appreciate it.

I was so looking forward to meeting everyone and have had this on my calendar since January ; (

Signed, a very disappointed Melissia.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Paula and All You Other Attendees, Tim and I will bring cups. If somebody else can't pick up ice, Paula, call us and we'll pick up some bags of ice when we get close to your house but we don't have space to haul a cooler.

Dawn

• dancinwaters
    14 years ago

I have a couple of coolers and can bring ice if someone will tell me how many bags we need.
    Cindy

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Cindy,

Just in case Paula is running around like a chicken with her head cut off (sorry, Paula, I am JUST KIDDING) and doesn't see this, bring whatever you can....I believe Paula is expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 60 folks.

We're bringing a big bag of cups from CostCo, so I think we have 140 cups....and if that is not enough, we're in trouble.

See you there!

Melissia, I meant to say earlier that I'm sorry you won't be there and we'll miss you. I hope you feel better soon.

OK, I need to get off the computer and get ready to leave. We're leaving Marietta around 9 or 9:15 a.m.

Dawn

• p_mac
    14 years ago

oh Melissia! I'm so sorry you're "under the weather"! (get it? it's cloudy outside!) Dang it! We'll miss you! I know you're disappointed. But I think we'll still be covered.

Dancingwaters - maybe 3 or 4 bags of ice? We've got coolers and 2 bags already in the freezer. I've got some extra cups too!

My carpet's not vacuumed, my floor's not swept and all the laundry's not put away...but somewhere I read that a clean house is a sign of an unkept garden! hehe!

Signed,
    Chicken with Her Head Cut Off!

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

Paula,

I have a plaque in my kitchen that says in big print "Pardon the Mess" and in little print in the background it says "I've heard it said that only dull women have immaculate homes!". lol

Lynn

• dancinwaters
    14 years ago

Paula - I'll bring the ice and email my cell number to you in case you need anything else. Also, we'll all feel right at home if your house isn't perfect! Cindy

• melissia
    14 years ago

Oh I hope yall have a great day - now I'm really feeling bad for missing all this fun -- thanks for covering the ice and cups.

Yall have a great time.

• shankins123
    14 years ago

Melissia...hope you feel better and soon - SO sorry you couldn't make it today :*(

We're preparing to come - you guys know we're going to eat TOO much, take TOO many plants home, and have TOO good a time...right? Can't wait!!

Sharon (and Katie)

• seedmama
    14 years ago

I'll only feel right at home if your house looks like a disaster area. But I'm sure I'll manage....

• littledog
    14 years ago

"Littledog - dang it! Doesn't his job know that his wife has a garden life? j/k....my DH was out of a job for 15 months. Gotta give your man credit. In this economy, no one can "fluff off" a paying job. We will miss you! But there's always the fall and next spring! "

Well, DH's crew started this last job in January, and didn't get home until April. I managed to go see him a few times, but it's just -not- the same. (It's hard to work on "stuff" in a motel room in Waco) We were hoping he'd be off at least a month, but obviously, that didn't happen. The kicker is he was told this would be a short job (a week and a half, MOL) and after her got there, found out it's only going to be 3 days. But you're right, this isn't a good time to fluff off a paying job, so away he went.

Next time, I'm going to be there.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor