SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
big_orange_vol_

Help Needed - You asked for it!

big_orange_vol_
17 years ago

Guys in an effort to make a few changes and help us become more organized I need your input on a couple of issues. We are going to form a MTPS Committee. Bec, as far as the webpage is concernedI really need you and Doug big-time for this too!

First, we are going to make some changes in our registration process. I'm going to suggest that everyone pre-register on the MTPS webpage and then print out your registration form and bring it with you to the swap. You will have an assigned number on the form which will correspond with your table and your area. No cheating! Even if you are the first ones there on Saturday morning you are still going to have to adhere to the number. So if you want spot number 1 then you had better pre-register when the page goes up. I understand that not everyone will be able to pre-register due to last minute stuff so there will be some flexibility. We can still register folks the day of the swap but this will help us to be WAY more organized. Allowances will be made for the elderly and the handicapped. I'm not going to make old geezers like Norm walk a half mile to their area even though he needs the exercise.

Second, I want you guys to take a few minutes and draw me up your most comprehensive list of swap etiquette. How do we want the swap process to run? I'll take all of these over my email address and when the Committee is formed, we will put it all together and make sure that every attendee has a copy when they pull in the driveway before they set up. It will also be on the MTPS website so there shouldn't be any confusion on what is expected and what is unacceptable. No throwing food at the Secretary will be rule Number 1.

Third, in order that I can actually visit, swap and eat (all other workers too)...we are going to have a rotation of volunteers that will work different shifts, different areas and have different responsibilities. That way we all get to enjoy the day and we don't end up with the same cranky (read me) dozen people that are worn to the nubs eight hours later every swap. Everyone gets a turn. I won't expect the same folks that volunteer to work the fall swap to work the spring swap either. If you really want this to be YOUR swap then you need to help bring that to fruition. No armchair quarterbacking. Everyone needs to pull their weight. Some of us have more weight to pull but thatÂs another story.

Fourth, we need help with lecturers! Marty is the best by far but it isn't fair to keep imposing on her generosity. She's done at least three and the last two in a row now so let's give her a break. If you have any suggestions for a speaker and have a contact or rapport with that person LET ME KNOW! I'm not the Amazing Kreskin. I can't read minds. There are a couple of hand signals that I understand but those arenÂt applicable here. I have my limitations as to who I can go after that will do this for free. You have no idea how many people have turned me down for one reason or another. We can't have speakers that mooch off of Jan and JimÂs hospitality and then demand money from them too. If they would grace us with their knowledge, they need to do so GRATIS! We don't have the funds to start bidding wars for speakers. They can be paid in plants but again, this is a cash-free swap for us and it needs to be so for the speaker as well.

So far those are the big four and if you have more constructive suggestions, other than where I can stick my ideas, please let me know via my email. This is going to be an ongoing process as all things are. Nothing is etched in stone and I'm going to try and accommodate you guys every way that I can but we are going to have to have some guidelines that everyone abides by or else we are back to anarchy and the current leaders always get shot in that scenario. So I ainÂt diggin that idea at all!

Instead of sitting around griping about what was wrong with the spring swap get off your can and help me fix it. Don't complain if you aren't willing to help. (I'm joking ok?) This is you golden opportunity. Grab the brass ring!

So!!! What are you waiting for? Start blowing up my dang email address with your suggestions. I KNOW you want to! Here's your chance to let me have it right square between the eyes. You snooze, you lose.

Comments (16)

Sponsored