SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

What are you planning to grow in 2009?

I have what I 'think' is my final list, might switch 1 or 2 around.

Medium-large:

Anna Russian

Japanese Pink Oxheart

Orange Russian 117

Teton De Venus- Obtained seed from source in France, great tomato shape

Thieneman's Austrailian Heart

Ukranian Heart

Brad's Black Heart

Carbon

Pruden Purple

Chianti Rose

Sugar Beefsteak

TeePee

Cherokee Green

Aunt Ruby's German Green

Anana's Noire

Indian Stripe

Cherry small-large:

Mirabell

Cerese Orange

Coyote

Ruby Pearl

Rosalita

Brandywine Cherry

Black Cherry

Italian Noire

Hawaiian Currant

Red Calabash

Anna Aasa

God Love

It might seem like I'm gonna be swimming in cherries, but I plan on doing what another tomato grower does. Just plant 2 cherry types together and let them duke it out. I'm not looking for quanity with the cherries, I just want to try all these types. I've decided to let mother nature take it's course and not prune. I do have more seed for different types (was gonna prune very heavy and plant more types in the same space), but decided against it. I have more than enough variety here to try with these choices and ....I SWEAR I AM NOT BUYING ANY MORE SEED, LOL.

I'm also gonna winter sow my tomato seeds this year and try for a mid May or late May plant out. Have also switched to organic fertilizer, Neptune's Fish/Seaweed liquid fert.

What plans do you all have here so far?

Melissa

Comments (86)

• tania_in_vancouver
    15 years ago

I will be growing fewer varieties in 2009 but more plants of each variety. Unfortunately my 2009 list is still too long to post here - so see the link below.

Most of the varieties will be new to me, the rest will be grown to refresh my seed stock.

I hope 2009 will be a better year for us, PNWers, as we had enough of these late and cold summers in the last couple of years.

I wish you all enjoyable and rewarding seed starting. :)

Tania

Here is a link that might be useful: My 2009 tomato list

• jll0306
    15 years ago

Okie-dokie, here's part two of my list.

I seeded these today.

Sun sugar Cherry
    Gold Nugget Cherry
    Husky Cherry Pink
    Orange Pixie
    Purple Calabash
    Green Zebra
    Jaune Flamme
    Italian Gold
    Black Sea Man
    Gregori's Altai
    Omar's Lebanese
    Manalucie
    Azoychka
    Amish Salad

As soon as these four arrive from Sand Hill, my 2009 spring season will be complete:

Red Star
    Danko
    Dora
    Ten Fingers of Naples

• Related Discussions

What are you planning on growing next season?

Q

Comments (10)
    Steve, that sounds glorious! Do you have any pictures? I bet you have cut flowers all summer long. Vases and vases full. Suzy, that's what happens when one has a blank slate! Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, zero. It's rather ugly too. But mostly, I thought I'd get going so when it's time to leave in a couple of years, I can take some mature plants with me. And I miss all those listed. You hardly sound senile dear lady, brilliant in my estimation. It's what gives you pleasure and income. Couldn't be smarter in my book! Krista, let me save you the google. Ilex decidua, sounds delightful! A real lovely for you and the birds. Cardinals love those berries. Wonder if that's what makes their feathers red? Tibs, I have to tell you, Penstemon is a very forgiving creature. Neglected, they not only lived on, but were in glorious bloom even years later when I left my home in Shelbyville (before they tore it all out?!). What is japanese wood grass? Sounds intersesting. Garlic is great to eat, but the flowers are actually something I like even better than the plant, along with eggplant (and the fuzzy leaves!), squash, and tomato plants. Speaking of which, I have some Mortgage Lifter seeds I've saved. I can mail you some if you want. I don't guarantee they'll germinate, but it'd be free to you. I think your grape arbor sounds sturdy and you know me, I love recycling, so good on ya for that too! West, I wish I had the space for veggies. We really only will grow one tomato and some carrots, with some runner bean on the fence. Do you can what you keep so you have it year round?
    ...See More

Seed starting 2009: what are you sowing/growing?

Q

Comments (10)
    Good luck with that repotting! Send us some "after" pics too. Those cigar flowers (Cuphea ignea) are great. I first started growing them when I worked just for fun at Tera's Garden nursery (now closed--I think it's an Italian restaurant these days) a few years ago. We had them in the inferno of a parking strip in full bore sun and they did great with just minimal irrigation. Easy from seed, easy from cuttings, and fully hardy here too. Several seed places are selling various cultivars with white, pink, or screaming red flowers; many of them are dwarf too. I really like them. I have some obscure Euphorbia seed to start this weekend, plus a few more aloes and cacti too. I love this time of year, even though it means the windowsills are very, VERY crowded. I noticed some of the datura seeds I planted outside in autumn are sprouting now too. This winter was so mild that the mother plant didn't even drop her leaves; some years she gets cut to the ground to resprout from the roots. Take care all, Grant
    ...See More

What are the new plans for 2009?

Q

Comments (6)
    Wow mr toad..pretty ambitious. We just put in a potager mid season last year after our raised beds were raided by a woodchuck. I'll be happy to get a couple of rain barrels in this year and then the hope is to connect drip irrigation to that. The garden is 16by18 and is fenced in. I still need to add post toppers (bought finials that I plan do paint) but that's more of a decorative thing to finish off the look. I'd also love to put something in the middle and was thinking of a obelisk that holds plants in tiers. Anyone have one of those? It's early for seeds here..but I plan to start leeks soon. Also got some wall o waters...so I'll be starting tomato seeds a little earlier than normal. Curious to see what others are doing as this will be our first full potager season.
    ...See More

My 2009 grow light setup and what I will be growing...

Q

Comments (11)
    You might not want to keep the best plants in the window for very long. The lights can actually produce a more robust plant than the window, that's one reason why a lot of people use them. If you don't have enough room under the lights and need to use the window for extra growing space, I would plan to rotate the plants every couple of days from one location to the other so that they all regularly spend some time under the lights. Rearranging them periodically will also help them grow a straight stem, since plants tend to lean toward the direction that the strongest light is coming from. For your window this will be the outdoors and for the light fixture it will be the center of the fluorescent tubes, because even though you may not be able to see it, the light intensity falls off dramatically as you go from the center toward each end of the tube.
    ...See More
  • archerb
    15 years ago

BrandyWine, Seed Packet (4 plants)
    Red BrandyWine (4 plants)
    Cherokee Purple (6 plants)
    Marianna's Peace (4 plants)
    Coyote Cherry (4 plants)
    Black Cherry (4 plants)
    Roma (Store bought seed) (4 plants)
    Sweet 100 Cherry (Store bought seed) (2 plants)
    Sweet Million Cherry (Seed from last year's plant) (2 plants)
    Bush Early Girl (Seed from last year's plant) (1-2 plants)
    BHN 444 (store bought plant) (1-2 plants)

Whatever else I see that looks good to replace any listed above that did not take or died.

• orchard_lambabbey_com
    15 years ago

My partner and I limit ourselves to a dozen varieties of tomatoes, although it's tough narrowing the list down. This year we've got a rather motley mix. We'll have 6 plants of every variety, giving us 72 tomatoes and 48 peppers. We grow everything with the aid of drip irrigation. Here are the tomatoes and peppers going into the garden for 2009:

Tomato  Bi-Color Mortgage Lifter
    Tomato  Carmello
    Tomato  Gary IbsenÂs Gold
    Tomato  Grandfather Ashlock
    Tomato  Granny CantrellÂs German Pink
    Tomato  Italian Tree
    Tomato  Paul Robeson
    Tomato  Porterhouse Beefsteak
    Tomato  Razzle Dazzle Hybrid
    Tomato  Solid Gold F1 Hybrid
    Tomato  Sweet Tangerine Hybrid
    Tomato  Tangerine Mama Hybrid

Sweet Pepper  Datil Sweet
    Sweet Pepper  Oriole
    Sweet Pepper  Quadrato d'Asti Giallo
    Sweet Pepper  Quadrato d'Asti Rosso

Hot Pepper  Bhut Jolokia
    Hot Pepper  Fatalii
    Hot Pepper  Mitsi Lea Hybrid (Giant Jalapeno)
    Hot Pepper  Tabasco Costa Rican

We're buying our peppers as transplants from chileplants.com because of limited space under our growlights, but are starting all of our tomatoes and herbs from seed as usual.

John

• mtbigfigh
    15 years ago

Tomato  Italian Tree
    What can you tell me about the above

never grown these - u must get seeds from TomatoFest or seed saving members as I thought they were the only comercial seed provide for grandfather ashlock

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Tomato  Italian Tree
    What can you tell me about the above
    never grown these - u must get seeds from TomatoFest or seed saving members as I thought they were the only comercial seed provide for grandfather ashlock

John I'm not but it's Granny Cantrell, or Granny Cantrell's German Red, not Pink, and a variety that Gary Millwood has sent seeds out to many places. Yes, it is listed in the SSE YEarbook but Gary sent seeds to Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Baker Creek, and I don't know where else without Googling and then not all places are scanned by Google. I have the seeds that Gary sent me but haven't grown it out.

A lot of us have Granfather Ashlock b'c Carl Ashlock offered seeds online to many of us and yes it's in the SSE Yearbook and no I didn't Google it to see who else might be offering it.

Italian Tree has also been listed for a long time in the SSE YEarbooks and I know elsewhere commercially as well b'c I spent time yesterday posting to someone that it wasn't a tree, or tree type, just a large pink fruited variety .

The two places I recommend you look for varieties that came from SSE listings or were sent to individual seed companies by some SSE members or gotten directly from the SSE Yearbooks by owners of seed companies who are SSE members, are Sandhill Preservation and Marianne Jones at mariseeds. And some at Baker Creek as well as Victory Seeds as well as TGS.

Carolyn, who sends the best of her yearly ones to Sandhill and TGS with whom she's been associated for many years as well as Victory Seeds more recently and formerly lots to Marianne, but she's a listed member herself, as are Jere at Baker Creek and Glenn at Sandhill. And there are other seed co owners who I wouldn't know about b'c they are unlisted SSE members. But I do know that Linda at TGS is an unlisted member.

• aclum
    15 years ago

Here's my list for the coming season (just started the seeds yesterday):

Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Marvel Stripe
    Carbon
    Black from Tula
    Cherokee Purple
    Aunt Ginny's Purple
    Earl's Faux
    Stump of the World
    Neves Azorean Red
    Dona Hybrid (still have seeds I ordered several years ago from TGS)

I'm cutting back this year from two 5 x 16 beds with 22 tomatoes to just one bed with 11 tomatoes. Last year was something of a bust due to high winds early in the season and an extremely hot summer - both things I'm not used to (having moved to a new location this past year). I'm hoping that with just one bed I can do a better windbreak and afford to put up some shadecloth during the heat of summer for better results. If things work out well this season, I'll try for more next season.

Anne

• noinwi
    15 years ago

I'll have even less room this year since moving to a different apartment building(same town). Everything will be in containers on the little green strips on either side of our walk(at least it's on the SW side). I'll be using seed from previous years:

Stupice
    Black Krim
    Black Sea Man
    Chocolate Cherry
    Oregon Spring(found a really old pack)
    Tiny Tim(the only new one, will try in a hanging pot)

...I have to have room for my pepper plants, too.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    15 years ago

My list for this year is mostly cherries:

Black Cherry
    Dr. Caroline Pink
    Galina Yellow
    Green Grape (our new variety this year)
    Sweet Thing Grape

Sandwich tomatoes:
    Estler's Mortgage Lifter
    Yellow Oxheart

And I am going to try a paste tomato for the first time, too. After reading Brokenbar's post, I've decided on Costoluto Genovese.

• suburbangreen
    15 years ago

Started these Jan. 15. I'll grow just one of most of these.

Eva Purple Ball*
    Stupice*
    Black Cherry*
    Rutgers*
    Giant Belgium
    Marianna's Peace
    Azoychka
    Super Beefsteak
    Yamal
    San Marzano
    Ponderosa
    Indian Stripe
    Cherokee Purple
    Burgundy Traveler

*grown before,

Which of the new ones will impress me?

• atascosa_tx
    15 years ago

my list and new one's added...last year I had two gardens with a total of 34 toms, 32 squash plants, and about 28 pepper plants...I got way out of control..
    So this year and still gonna be big, hopefully will curb my will to grow them all (ya right)
    1) BHN 444
    2) BHN 589
    3) BHN 640
    4) Black Krim x2
    5) Brandywine Sudduth*
    6) Carbon
    7) Costoluto Genovese x2
    8) German Red Strawberry
    9) Giant Belgium

1. KBX* x2
    2. Husky Red Cherry
    3. Kellogg's Breakfast
    4. Neves Azorean Red
    5. Olena Ukrainian
    6. Opalka x2
    7. San Marzano*
    8. Stump of the World*
      *= just added on

Squash

1) Golden Zucchini x4
    2) Straightneck (yellow)x4
    3) White Bush Vegetable Marrow (white) x4

Cucumber

Glorie de Paris x6

Pepper

Serrano pepper X4
    Habanero orange pepper x4
    Jalapeno M x4
    Jolokia x2
    Orange Bell pepper x4

Here we grow again...sheez!

Happy Gardening

• jjs7741
    15 years ago

Here is my "final" list as of right now. (It has already changed twice this week.)

Anna Maria's Heart*
    Arkansas Traveler*
    Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Aunt Ginny's Purple
    Big Beef
    Black Cherry
    Box Car Willie*
    Brandywine Red (Landis)
    Brandywine - Suddith
    Chapman*
    Cherokee Chocolate
    Cherokee Green
    Cherokee Purple*
    Cuostralee*
    Giant Belgium
    Earl of Edgecombe*
    German Red Strawberry*
    KBX*
    Kelloggs Breakfast
    Marianna's Peace
    Mortgage Lifter (from TGS)
    Mortgage Lifter - Estlers*
    Neves Azorean Red
    New Big Dwarf*
    Omar's Lebanese*
    Opalka
    Riesentraube*
    Stump of the World*
    Stupice*
    Sungold
    Super Sioux*
    Wes*

*new to me

Here to hoping that everyone has a productive tomato season.

jj

• gerald51
    15 years ago

My almost complete list. I have not grown any of these on my list, but I thought that I might give them a try this year.

Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red
    Aker's West Virginia
    Eva Purple Ball
    Liz Birt
    Cherokee Purple
    Creole
    Box Car Willie
    Marianna's Peace
    Early Girl
    Sioux

I still need to choose a couple from the following, because I'm moving my wife's hydrainas to another location and that has freed up a little more planting space.

Any recommendation would be helpful. My taste buds like a little more tang than sweet. Balanced is OK, but not just sweet tasting.

Aussie
    Brandywine Red
    Beefsteak
    Super Sioux
    TN Britches
    Marion
    Verja's Paradajz Red
    Homestead
    Mule Team
    Big Beef F1
    Stump of the World
    Mortgage Lifter

Gerald

• cabrita
    15 years ago

We are trying to sprout whatever sprouts. Many from trades here, some collected from random tasty tomatoes, some purchased. I do not always know the names or origin of the tomatoes since I save the seeds of the ones that taste good to me if I come across them. Tomatoes do not always come with labels....These have sprouted:

Neves Azorean Red (trade)
    Cherokee Green (bought from victory Seeds)
    Stupice (trade)
    Small vine clustered tomatoes *
    Medium vine clustered tomatoes *
    Dark napkin tomatoes **

* These two were form a food commercial job in early spring. The smaller vine ones might be from Trader joes, the larger ones no idea. Seemed early, productive and very tasty. I hope they are not hybrids and yes I am taking the chance, but if they are not hybrids I will really like having them (and saving seed, still of unknown name/origin).

** A dark (black?) heirloom tomato seeds saved on a napkin because it was too delicious not to save seeds. Might be a black Tula, or a Black Krim or a purple Cherokee? or anything black-dark really. 5 out of 5 seeds sprouted :-) so far, yum yum yum....why should I care what it is called?

Will be also trying to sprout the following:

Kellogs Breakfast
    Black krim
    Brandywine
    Mexico
    Druzba
    Stump of the World
    Omar Lebanese
    Giant Syrian
    Noir de Crimee
    Carbon
    Aunt Ruby German Green
    Creole
    Mango

Might also try to sprout some pretty old San Marzano seeds that a friend brought me from Italy a while back. They are old but there is a lot of them!

If I get momotaro seeds (or seedlings) I will plant those too, the only (known) hybrid on my list.

Probably not planting cherries since they 'plant themselves' quite prolifically. All volunteers in the garden are cherries. Sometimes I am tempted to uproot them and throw them in the compost pile but glad we saved some, the tomatoes we are eating now are mostly from tomato cherry volunteers. Actually, Campari hybrids offspring, second or third gen.

• kimnc7
    15 years ago

This is only our second year growing tomatoes; here is what we plan on packing our small plot with:

Isis Candy Cherry
    Black Cherry
    Opalka
    Cherokee Green
    Lollipop
    Flamme
    Gold Currant
    Green Grape
    Cherokee Purple
    Yellow Pear (yes, I actually really like them)

Good luck everyone!

• bigdaddyj
    15 years ago

List, as always, subject to change:

My Must Grow List:

Brandy Sudduth
    Marianna's Peace
    BrandyBoy
    NAR
    Chapman
    KBX
    Porterhouse
    Big Zac
    Big Beef
    Momotaro
    SunGold

New this year:

1. Gary'O Sena
    2. A few F3 plants from my favorite Brandywine/NAR cross plant of last season.

Nothing else tempts me. I wish I could find one or two more newbies to try but it is what it is.

• windclimber
    15 years ago

Would like to grow these this year and add to our seed library if I can locate a couple of seeds each.
    Hermans Yellow
    Dixie Golden Heart
    Lillians Red Kansas
    Andrew Raharts Jumbo
    Myona
    Cliostrale'
    Dr.Lyle
    Juanne Flamme'
    Manyel

Prue, Black and Brown Boar, NAR, and eight others from our collection should provide a tasting this summer extaordinair!!
    If it sounds like a who's who from the ledgendary book......................it is!!! I am unashamed to attempt to have the best tasting tomatoes in the world ;)

Tom

• horse_chick
    15 years ago

I've started over 150 plants last month. Most will be in their 17" brow pots before February ends.

I have:

Jellybean - a grape type I'm trying for the first time
    Black Russian - my alltime favorite
    Brandywine
    Black Brandywine - both have always done well for me
    Better Boy - my husband likes them and they have high yield for me
    Roma - for canning
    Purple Russian - a plum type that will be replacing Roma if yield and taste are good
    Eva Purple Ball - new for me
    BNH444 - another new one
    Rutgers - first time
    Super Marmande - first time
    German Johnson Pink Tomato - first time

• bdobs
    15 years ago

Here is my short little list...so far

Sungold
    Red Brandy RL
    Big Beef
    Lemon Boy
    Super Streak
    Early Girl

• corrie22
    15 years ago

My list is even shorter;

Champion II
    Margo
    Sun King
    and some wild tomato

• dave1mn2
    15 years ago

2009 Grow list.

Small Plants, Early Production.

Reds

Red Robin, There is no reason to ever be without this tasty, tiny, idiot proof variety. At least 2 plants **

Sprite, The Wife requires at least one. **

Yellows

Taxi, Only grown once with inconsistant results but some had exceptional flavor. Probably 2 plants. **

Mid season.

Carolina Gold, Workhorse, 1 plant. **

Mid Season, Mid sized.

Reds,

Jet Star, Another workhorse, 1 **

Pinks,

Missouri Pink Love Apple, A must have. At least 3 plants **

Greens,

Cherokee Green, Never had a green when ripe. 2

Multi colored,

Lucky Cross, 2

Golden Queen, 2

Tall, Early,

Gardener's Delight. Yes it is! Maybe 2 **

Tall, Mid-season.

Brandywine OTV, A least 2 **

Lemon Boy, Workhorse, 1 plant **

Yellow Pear, 1 **

Tall, Late.

Cherokee Purple, At least 3 **

Indian Stripe, 2

Huge, Late.

Black Cherry, maybe 2 **

German Queen. A fiincky plant but the taste is worth it. At least 3 **

Two versions of an un-named family red cherry. 2 each.

I'd like to try a couple NAR.

So much for keeping the garden smaller this yr :-)

• jll0306
    15 years ago

ah, to heck with it...there's always room for ne more container I say. Here are the part 3(spring) garden additions.

Tiny Tim
    New Big Dwarf
    Aurora
    Chudo Rynka
    Pipo
    Prairie Fire
    Tiger Like
    Principe Borghese
    Native Sun

Fortunately, I'm almost out of planting time. But of course, I have another twenty-mumble-mumble varieties waiting for the fall garden.

Jan

• simmran1
    15 years ago

Hybrids-

BallÂs Beefsteak
    Bella Rosa
    Best Boy
    Big Beef
    Champion II
    Margo
    Ramapo
    San Marzano Pomodoro Lunga

Open Pollinated-

Akers West Virginia
    Azoychka
    Big Bite
    Bradley
    Buddy
    Carmello
    Chapman
    Cherokee Purple
    Debarao
    Isis Candy
    Hard Rock
    Hazelfield Farm
    KBX
    KelloggÂs Breakfast
    Kalinka
    Kosovo
    Legend
    MariannaÂs Peace
    Moskovich
    Moscow Bush
    Neves Azorean Red
    Redfield Beauty
    Rowdy Red
    Sunsets Red Horizon

• daylilydude
    15 years ago

Chocolate Stripes
    Jack Johnson
    Absinthe
    Charlie's Green
    Malachite Box
    Grandma Oliver's Green
    Grub's Mystery Green
    Aunt Ruby's German Green Cherry
    Vorlon
    Spudakee
    JD's Special C-Tex
    African Beefsteak
    Pink Grapefruit
    TYW
    Top Sirloin
    Blagojevich
    Fantom Da Laos
    Berkeley Tie Dye Heart
    Uncle Charlie's Giant Italian Pear
    Pork Chop
    Green Bomb
    Potato Leaf White
    Indain Stripe
    Early Girl
    Tigerette Red
    Tigerette Yellow

• tee510
    15 years ago

BIG BEEF,BIG BOY,BEEFMASTER,JET STAR,BRANDYWINE PINK,LARGE RED CHERRY,SUPERSWEET 100 CHERRY.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I've already changed my list twice since I first made it up in January! I'm in another tomato seed swap so it might change a little once again. I'm planning on planting 2 plants of each. Anyway, here's the line up:

Abe Lincoln,
    Alicante,
    Azoychka,
    Brown Berry,
    Blondkopfchen,
    Bloody Butcher,
    Cherokee Purple (or Black from Tula),
    Carbon,
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian,
    Druzba,
    Green Zebra,
    JDÂs Special C-Tex,
    Lancaster Pink,
    Legend,
    Mule Team,
    Paul Robeson,
    Plum Lemon,
    Sarnowski Polish Plum,
    Siberian,
    Sub Arctic Plenty,
    TimÂs Black Ruffle,
    Tommy Toe,
    Ukrainian Pear

I have an "alternates" list which is twice as long. LOL! It's in case any of these don't germinate.

• bdobs
    15 years ago

Tomatoes :)

• catman529
    15 years ago

OK - I think I have my list complete. All seeds are started and I await their germination. This is what I'm growing, how many I'm growing and where I'm growing them:

{{gwi:1291467}}

I have room for 16 plants in the garden and will grow a few in containers as well. All the others will be given away to friends.

• the_tank
    15 years ago

Akins West VA
    Aunt Rubys German Green
    Black From Tula
    Black Krim
    Bloody Butcher
    Brandywine
    Charlies Green
    Cherokee Green
    Cherokee Purple
    Clint Eastwood
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian
    Dr. Wyches
    Evergreen
    Gold Medal
    Hillbilly and Royal Hillbilly
    Italian Tree
    Japanese Black Trifelle
    Kellogs Breakfast
    Mexican Midget
    Moon Glow
    Neves Azorean Red
    Sioux
    Sungold

• joecessna
    15 years ago

Brandywine - Sudduth Strain
    Cherokee Chocolate
    Cherokee Green
    Marianna's Peace
    Black Krim
    Giant Belgium
    Sungold
    Green Doctors
    Dr. Carolyn
    Flamme
    Kimberly
    Galina
    Bi-Color Cherry
    Black Cherry

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

With over 80 different varieties, and room for no more than 10 plants, I'm struggling to narrow it down. I'll post the list once the seeds are in the dirt.

Bonnie

• catman529
    15 years ago

80 varieties and room for only 10 plants? I thought I had too many with 15 varieties and room for 16 if I plant mostly 2 of each variety...

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

It's called S.A.D. (Seed Acquisition Disorder), LOL.

• catman529
    15 years ago

If I had an extra grow light and more varieties, believe me I would grow as much as I could and then would have to chose 8 or 9 varieties to put in the garden.

• indy76km
    15 years ago

San Marzano
    Moskvich
    Backyard beauties

I might get brave and try something thats not red lol

This is only my second year with a vegtable garden plus we just bought a new house this winter and I don't know exactly what the ground looks like under the snow yet.

• kkinal
    15 years ago

Quarter Century
    Sioux
    New Big Dwarf
    Ashleigh
    Aunt Ginny's Purple
    Eva Purple Ball
    Black Krim
    German Queen
    Aker's West Virginia
    Earl's Faux
    Hazelfield Farm
    Rutgers
    Manalucie
    Jetsetter
    Talladega

I really need to knock 1 or 2 of these off, but I can't decide! It was hard getting it down to this.

• mother_lode_mama
    15 years ago

Cherokee Purple
    Earl of Edgecomb
    NAR
    Old Brooks
    Prue
    Brandywine Red
    Super Sioux

New for this year

Break O Day
    Bulgarian #7
    Cuostralee
    Camp Joy

We have killer gophers here and everything--I mean everything has to go in wire baskets or raised beds with wire bottoms or large containers. It gets a little expensive, but if you want to see the fruits of your labor then this is what it takes. We had to fence the deer out too.

Good luck to all.
    Bette

• megadena
    15 years ago

Stupice
    Speckled Roman
    Anna Russian
    Brandywine
    Black Krim
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    Black Cherry
    Opalka
    Red Jellybean
    Better Boy
    Sweet 100
    Jersey Devil
    Zapotec
    White Beauty
    Blondkuchen
    Kellogs
    Sungold
    Nyagous
    Neves Azoran Red
    Green Grape

This will be my first summer at our first home. Last year we just got 7 plants in - 4 early girls - meh - 1 Cherokee purple - not productive enough - one Arkansas traveler - and one forgotten plant. So all new varieties for us this year after much studying Amy Goldman's The Heirloom Tomato and this forum.

• catman529
    15 years ago

I am jealous of these long lists I'm seeing. Someday I will have the room though...someday...

• duajones_gmail_com
    15 years ago

Summertime Improved in my above post is not correct, it should be Improved Summertime

• foundineyre
    14 years ago

To say I am planting in 2009 I guess is rather premature but I am planting a wish list in 2009. I am most certainly a novice and have been combing this and other websites for a wide variety of tomatoes. When I do plant it will most likely need to be a small garden with vegetables only for my own enjoyment and sustenance. Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My dream garden is awaiting in the future... an organic block style raised bed sort of thing.

The list (I keep adding but it needs to be shortened)

Yellow: Willard Wynn
    Hybrid: Mountain Pride F1, Ramapo F1
    Oxheart: Anna Russian
    Cherry: Black Cherry
    Orange: Kellog's Breakfast
    Bi-color: Hillbilly
    Beefsteak: Brandywine Sudduth's Strain, Marianna's Peace, Mortgage Lifter
    Black: Cherokee Purple

By the way I am a sucker for the cool names - I haven't actually tried any of these. I grew up with Big Boy tomatoes and other more "traditional" plain looking ones.

Thanks,

Rachael

• tammysf
    14 years ago

This is my first year gardening.

I have 2 raised beds and 12 tomatoes, 6 melon, 1 cuke, 1 zuke, 1 peppern arugala, beans. Garlic cives, herbs.

My toms (I am doing 2 of most of them)

Black krim
    Big beef
    Marvel striped
    Oaxacan jewel
    San marzano
    Sungold
    Sugar snack
    Sun sugar
    Stupice

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of my toms

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Tammy: Lookin' nice. :) How long did you have to wait for your Meyer to start blooming...1 year...2 years? I just got my lime today in the mail! Yay! Extra Yay because I made the mistake of ordering it from Spring Hill and I actually got a very healthy looking plant...lol.

Anyways, with my extremely limited container garden on an apartment porch space, I am only growing Cherry, Early Girl, San Marzano Organic & Yellow tomatoes this year. Of course, if I told you everything else i'm growing you'd think i'd need 4 pirches for it all. =)

• tammysf
    14 years ago

Steve (TN_VG_GDN)

We just bought this house and moved in thanksgiving and the meyer was here. My parents live 2 blocks away and have one as well. They are wonderful trees. The fruit are so juicy.

Our next door neighbors were given a potted dwarf meyer last june and it was flowering and had small but ripe fruit. Tree trunk about the width of my thumb and I thought the tree was abour 3 years but could be wrong.

What kind of lime did you get? I think I am gonna order a bearss soon. I love me some mojitos.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Dwarf Lime...not sure on the variety cuz it's late & i'm tired...lol...Meyer maybe? It's only about 10 inches tall, but looks very healthy. I'm hoping for maybe a handful of limes next year then a good bit the year after, but I guess i'll wait & see. I have plenty of raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, maters, peppers (hot, sweet, bell, etc.), herbs, etc. to keep me satisfied for this year. =)

- Steve

• lantanascape
    14 years ago

I'm jealous of all of you who have the time and space to plant so many varieties. My 13 plants will certainly give me plenty of tomatoey goodness, but there are so many varieties I'd like to grow - ones I've grown in the past and loved, and ones I've heard great things about and am intrigued by. Anyway, here is my short list:

Opalka (4 plants for some canning)
    Isis candy
    Red currant
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Giant Belgium
    Stupice
    Earl's Faux
    Orange Russian
    Black from Tula
    Bush Goliath (a plant I bought hoping to get some early fruit)

• dkmarsh
    14 years ago

In the ground on May 16:

Black Krim
    Cherokee Purple
    Dixie Golden Giant
    Ilse's Yellow Latvian
    Stupice
    Yellow Pear (freebie from TomatoFest)

Not quite big enough yet:

Zarnitza (supposed to be early and prolific; ironically, these were the last to germinate)

- - - - -

In a fantasy world, I'd have the time and space to plant many more varieties, but in this world, I kind of like the challenge of fitting blacks, yellows, and reds; early, mid-season, and late; big, medium, and small; and salsa, sauce, salad and slicers into a total of 7 plants.

• jeremyjs
    14 years ago

pink brandywine
    big beef
    delicious
    better boy
    mortgage lifter

I think next year I'm going to choose a couple of my favorite of these 5 beefsteaks types and then fill the rest of my space with different types. Like maybe a black/purple variety, a paste and an oxheart or two.

• vtguitargirl
    14 years ago

2 Prudens Purple (a family favorite)
    1 Cherokee Purple (a very close second)
    1 Jaunne Flamme (delicious & early)
    4 San Marzano (new variety for me)

All transplants went in the ground 2 days ago using my adaptation of Earls hole method.

• llaz
    14 years ago

Weather cooperating,I'll be putting the seedlings in the ground during the week coming up. I'm trying a bunch of new varieties this year, including a bunch from Brad Gates Wild Boar Farms.

Here's a list of the new ones:

Wild Boar Farms:
    Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye
    Dino Eggs
    Haley's Purple Comet
    Large Barred Boar
    Black & Brown Boar
    Pork Chop
    Beauty King
    Brad's Black Heart

Other new one's:
    Aunt Ruby's German Green Cherry