SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbest123_gw

A SFG rookies assessment so far

jbest123
15 years ago

A SFG rookieÂs assessment so far:

People that say that you cannot grow vegetables in 100% compost have never tried it.

MelÂs suggested plant spacing is too congested. A plantÂs roots will usually extend in all directions as far as the foliage. If a plantÂs foliage is competing for space, then the roots from both plants are competing for the same nutrients. Also nobody told the plants, they were supposed to stay inside the box.

Cabbage, Cauliflower and Broccoli; were planted one plant per square. Harvest was ½ size compared to my conventional garden. Also with abundant rain every cabbage split, I had this problem before but not to this extent and not with heads this small.

Cucumbers did fantastic with conventional spacing exceeding 10# per plant.

Zucchini is doing even better; I have picked about 35# per plant.

Potatoes did very well exceeding 1.5# per plant at one plant per square.

Eggplant did well at 1.5# per plant planted one plant per square.

Bell Peppers did ok with less than 1# per plant, at one plant per square.

Tomatoes have patches of beautiful fruits scattered thought the vines. The Supersteak seems to be more sensitive to the night temperature and we have had some chilly spills off and on thought the summer. Spacing was at five squares per plant.

Cantaloupe is too early to tell but some nice fruits on the vines. I cannot remember the spacing; I will check when the vines die back.

Salad greens did only average.

Weeds were virtually nonexistent. I pulled less than a coffee can full all year, previously it would have been several 5 Gal. buckets.

My biggest contribution to the garden this year was installing an irrigation system.

Will I continue with the SFG next year? You betchaÂ

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Comments (13)

Sponsored