SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamecock43

Do realtors know we are in a housing slump yet?

gamecock43
16 years ago

My soon to be husband and I have been planning to buy our first home in an out of state city for the past few years. Finally we think we are good to go and in July plan to fly out for the first time to personally look at listings, and ideally purchase in Sept/October.

I have gone ahead and contacted a few realtors about listed properties on realtor.com in their inventory. I am trying to become familiar with the housing market and buying process, and develop a realistic list of wants based on what we can afford. But I have gotten...nowhere. No one is getting back to me. Its been 3 generic "yes the property is available, call to set up a showing" and 1 no responce.

Ironically I am using this step as a chance to test the realtors so I can find a realtor to use. My criteria is finding a realtor that responds to my email promptly, asks questions, and runs with it. So far I have not found that.

Whats even more ironic, is we have been desiring to buy for many years now, and secretly we are both very impatient to get started, and I am trying to draw out the process to buy us time to come into home ownership really prepared. However, I KNOW if a realtor shows us a house we LOVE it would be all over. Negotiations would start right away.

So are the realtors not getting back to me because:

1) is asking for information through email a 'tire kicking' method and not taken seriously?

2) because i am a buyer and not a fellow realtor asking questions?

3)because I live out of state?

4) because I do not plan to buy till the fall (I state this so I do not get the realtor/owners hopes up)

5) am I asking rookie questions? I ask to see more pictures, and get information about the nieghborhood

I guess maybe I should be more agressive. When I dont hear back from the realtors I cross off the listing as a dead end and move on. I thought that realtors were supposed to chase me, not me chase them.

And one last final question...I found a listing that I loved..but it has sold. Is it ok to ask the realtor the final purchase price of the house? I would like to better understand the asking price/purchase price differences in the area too.

thanks in advance!

Comments (17)