SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Really basic question...

sweeby
17 years ago

I'm embarassed even to be asking such a 'Rookie' question on a board with so much expertise -- but maybe I'm not the only idiot out here wondering... I've seen plants that like:

- Full sun

- Sun

- Part sun

- Light shade

- Shade

- Full Shade

OK - So full-sun and full-shade are pretty obvious, but what about the finer gradations in between? And when you have fences and structures that block the light for parts of the day? How do you know whether you have 'part sun' or 'light shade'? And I've seen loads of plants that like 'morning sun' but nothing that seems to like afternoon sun...

We're about to start selecting plants for a 4' x 22' raised bed we recently hardscaped. It's located along the west wall of our house at the base of some full-length windows. Part of the bed is under a 30" deep eave, the rest is not. There's an open patio on the other side of the bed, and some tall trees on the far side of the patio. The entire bed is fully shaded by the house until just before noon, at which point, the front edge gets full sun for 2-3 hours. As the afternoon progresses, the sun reaches almost all of the bed for 1-2 hours, then falls behind the trees which provide (I think) light shade for the rest of the afternoon.

So would that be 'part sun' for the front of the bed? And 'shade' or 'full shade' for the back? We're in Houston, so our sun is pretty hot. Any specific plant suggestions for our particular sun/shade combinations? I'd like the plants to be fairly low to the ground (under 24") with some color and texture interest, and more 'woodsy' than 'tropical' in flavor.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• catkim
    17 years ago

My understanding is 6 hours = full sun. You need to check on the (I think) part of the post -- do the trees provide light shade or not?

Afternoon sun, especially reflected off those full-length windows, is going to be quite strong. I doubt shade plants will tolerate those conditions. So my semi-educated guess is to stick to the "Full Sun, Sun, Part Sun" section of the plant spectrum.

Sorry, don't know about woodsy plants for Houston, but somebody will have some ideas for you.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

You'll get more responses on the forum that corresponds to your region, or the Shrubs or Perennials forums, you don't say which type of plant you are looking for.

I would say that you would be safe selecting plants that are classified "full sun or part shade" which means they will do well with less than a full 6 hrs. of sun, but won't fry in the hot afternoon sun of the site you describe.

I've never gardened anywhere as hot as your location, so can't help with specific plants.

• Related Discussions

Basic questions?

Q

Comments (6)
    .. >Are grains, e.g. bread, cereal, flour, etc greens or browns?I don't have anything that addresses whole grains except maybe brewery waste which is green. Hulls are brown. I assumed the old bread I chucked was brown. Not sure anymore. >What is the C:N ratio?The link below is the best list I've found for C:N ratios. >Also, are clippings from grass/shrubs/flowers that have dried for a few week or overwinter still green?On the green side yes. Not as green as fresh. I expect the nitrogen value to degrade with time. >Finally,is compost made from grass clippings and a variety of yard scraps from shrubs and spent flowers, etc, as beneficial as fruits, veggies and other edible kitchen scraps?The greater the variety of ingredients that go into the compost bin, the greater the variety of nutrition that comes out. two cents .. Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell list of ingredients
    ...See More

Questions from a yard rookie

Q

Comments (1)
    Grass needs about an inch a week. Water in early evening hours or around dawn. It is best to water every 3 days or so during periods of no rainfall for a green lawn. Water deeply when you water so it will get to the roots and keep them moist on the days you are not there. Shallow watering is quickly evaporated. Keep sprinklers on for at least an hour or two. It would be ideal to be able to water mid week once but you can manage to keep it alive by watering weekends, it will not be as green as more frequent watering however. Winter watering should not be necessary in your zone. Just make sure the ground has plenty of moisture in it before it freezes. Clematis like a lot of water, otherwise they will sit there and go into dormancy. Ideally you might invest in underground sprinklers timed to go on when you are not there, especially for strawberries and zuccini.
    ...See More

Really Stupid Newbie question

Q

Comments (3)
    First off, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. And this one is far from stupid, because lots of people are confused by it. The reason you haven't found a clear-cut answer is that there isn't one. Generally speaking, days-to-maturity are counted from the time of transplant. But don't take those numbers too seriously as anything but a relative indicator. There are an incredible number of variables than affect maturation dates. What you really want to use them for is comparisons. If one variety is, say, 65 days and another is 90 you know that the first will come in earlier. And the second may or may not have enough time under your conditions. But don't count on mature fruits from the first in exactly 65 days, as they could mature earlier or later.
    ...See More

Questions about developmental Toys

Q

Comments (1)
    Let's get this post off the top.
    ...See More
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

The 30" overhang is going to prevent rain from reaching that portion of the bed that it covers, so irrigation is definitely in order.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much Saypoint and Catkim for your responses.

By "the trees which provide (I think) light shade" I meant that the amount of shade provided by the trees would probably be what growers mean by 'light shade' -- so dappled sun and shade. There's definitely shade, but also some sunlight...

As to the sun reflected off the glass -- Would the amount of sun that goes into the room through the windows correspond? Because, amazingly, we seem to get very little sun into the house there because of the eaves and tall trees. Even before we replaced the windows with energy efficient ones, the late-afternoon summer heat in that room was not too bad.

Saypoint - I've never gardened anywhere this hot before either -- Yuck! Between the heat, the humidity, and the bugs, this garden is one we'll be enjoying mostly from inside the air-conditioned comfort of our home... And yes, we will definitely hook up an automatic sprinkler system.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Just a thought: in a bed close to the house, you want a drip system, not an overhead sprinkler. Avoiding wetting the foliage of plants cuts down on fungal diseases, and you don't want to wet the house.

I gardened in central NC for three years, and ended up staying indoors from July to September while my CT-style flowerbeds filled up with weeds. You have my sympathy.

• vicki_ca
    17 years ago

To complicate matters a bit more, I have found that full sun is not the same in all parts of the country. My friends in northern climates (Calgary, Quebec) can grow things in full sun that would fry in my climate. Instead, I plant those same things in morning sun or filtered sun. That's because the intense heat of my summer sun (California), and perhaps yours too, is much harsher on plants than in other parts of the continent.

If you want specific suggestions for your climate, you may be best advised to ask local gardeners. You could also ask here:

Texas gardening forum:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/txgard/

Louisiana & Mississippi Gardening Forum:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/lagard/

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Gardening Forum

• Brent_In_NoVA
    17 years ago

Are full-sun and full-shade pretty obvious? I have seen the "6 hour" definition for full-sun but what does that mean for the places that get 16 hours of hot summer sun? Full-shade also has degrees. How about "mature size" and "well drained soil". Anybody care to define those? Compared to a swamp, my soil is well drained but compared to pure sand or the side of a steep hill my soil is not. Also, if I go for 3 weeks without rain, I say it is "very dry" but how does that compare with areas of the country that can go for 6+ months without measurable rainfall?

This is where regional expertise and hands on experience comes into play. You probably have a general feeling for your site conditions, so try out different plants and see what works. Most sun plants won't die in the shade; they usually just get leggy and/or don't bloom well. A lot of shade plants do okay in the sun if given adequate mosture. If all else fails, there is always daylilies...those things seem to thrive in just able all conditions. ;-)

- Brent

• chelone
    17 years ago

I don't think your question is a rookie one, at all. In fact, I think it goes straight to the heart of successful gardening.

And I absolutely agree that the definitions will vary markedly from region to region. In my area, "full sun" means 6 or more hours/day. And I definitely think there is a distinction between "partial shade" and "partial sun", though friends tease me about making the distinction. Even shade varies; there is deep, dense, sunless shade. There is "dappled" shade and there is "light" shade. How do you distinguishe between the latter two? I can't really answer that.

I know I struggle with certain plants that are supposed to be "easy" (Shasta daiseys, Achillea, Perovskia) even when I have the full sun sites. The soil is perpetually moist and rich... but I can't miss with Peonies, Baptisia, hardy Hibiscus, ornamental grasses, and Echinops.

Use the forums most suited to your geographic location, this is the surest way to narrow down your "beginner" choices. If you catch the "bug" then you'll know better how to massage the conditions you have to accomodate things you'd like to try to grow.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Brent and Chelone! I'm glad to know I wasn't the only person wondering about these definitions -- Especially when the 'Rookie' thread popped right back up top! (And I actually am very fond of day lillies -- had about a dozen varieties in our old house.)

I'll head over to some regional forums to see what works well in our climate. But I gotta start off with a whine -- There seem to be very few good garden centers here in Houston. I can only think of three nice ones in the whole darn city, and those are all very expensive, and not very close...

• chelone
    17 years ago

Eh! eh! eh!

There are a ton of very good nurseries in your area. Don't you fall into that "not very good" mindset! It's an EXCUSE. It's not easy to find the greenhouses/nurseries that best suit your "style". Don't lay that "cry-baby" s--t on me.

You begin ANY planting with an assessment of the soil and the conditions. You amend as required. You then interr the plants that will best prosper in the beds you've amended to ensure their survival.

You need to really do your "homework". Lay off the "there are no good places" chorus. Houston is a big place with many handsomely landscaped and planted homes. If you think I'm buyin' that all the LAs are going "out of town" or "out of state" for plant material you're kidding yourself.

Homework time!

• rusty_blackhaw
    17 years ago

Having gardened in the Houston area, I can tell you that the conditions you describe will be tough on plants - but that there are many selections that should do well, given half decent soil (yours will need amending if it is typical gumbo clay).

For plants that can handle the transition from no sun to afternoon broiling sun in your climate, look at both Texas/Mexican natives and consider some of the plants on this list. There are a number of ornamental grasses (Gulf muhly is a fine one) that should do well for you.

And you have two very good nurseries within a few blocks of each other in the Heights (Another Place in Time and Buchanan's, both of which have a nice mix of natives and exotics). A side trip that takes in Yucca Do Nursery and the Antique Rose Emporium will also give you plenty to work with.

• louisianagal
    17 years ago

sweeby, i spent my whole life (before Katrina) in coastal LA and loved gardening there. It's year round! I'm scared up here in north MS becoz of winter and not having any gardening to do for several months! On the Gulf Coast, instead of having down time in winter, you take your down time in July and August. Don't plan any major stuff during that time, it's best to garden in the evenings when the temps and humidity are lower. But spring, fall, and winter are great! Some great gardening books that should help you alot are Southern Living Garden Book, Southern Living Landscape Book, Tough Plants for Southern Gardens, Tough-as-Nails Flowers for the South, and Passalong Plants. I hope you adjust to gardening there as I am adjusting to a more northerly zone. Just make sure to evacuate for hurricanes, don't leave your pets if you have any (I took mine), and take family heirlooms and pictures with you.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll have to check out those nurseries Eric -- They're not in any of the areas where I've lived in Houston, so I didn't even know they were there... Any suggestions for the near west/Memorial area?

I'll have to give early-morning or evening gardening a try. Outdoor work during the mid-day hours is enough to knock you over...

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Sweeby, where are you from?

First, check out the Texas Superstars. They are a group of plants that are endorsed by Texas A&M as being superior for our climate.

I am about 100 miles south of you, but I lived in Houston for years. Great city!

I can recommend 3 great nurseries off the top of my head. They are all in the Rosenburg area. One is the Enchanted Forest, one is Caldwell Nursery, and the other is the Enchanted Garden. I drive 100 miles to visit these nurseries, and they are well worth a Saturday trip. The Nurseries that Eric recommended are all great too!

Janie

• sweeby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Guess I just got spoiled while living in Dallas, and had two really fabulous nurseries within 15 minutes. And when I lived in Houston before, the Teas in Bellaire was really close. I kinda thought that's how every place would be...

Since I really like the idea of using native plants, I'll head over to the Heights and check out Another Place in Time and Buchanan's.

• chelone
    17 years ago

I zapped myself. I sometimes presume too much latitude. Common sense tells me there are likely countless really great places to buy plants in your area; yankee directness too often overrides the politesse so many presume; I calls 'em as I sees 'em. I hope New Englanders won't be deemed "persona non grata" for all time; at the least I hope you'll be prepared for regional directness.

I also know it takes time to develop the "rounds" that will enable you to locate the sorts of places that suit your personal aesthetic or be able to understand it. I can tick off about a dozen local nurseries (in an area a lot smaller than Houston), and I visit only 3-5 on a routine basis.

I know I can buy the cheapie, filler s--t just about anywhere. I know who has the more unusual plants and who has the really "tastey" plants. With some practice, and some repeated trips you will be better able to distill your "rounds", too.

Hang in there... you asked a seemingly simple question that really has no simple answers. The fact that you asked it implies that you have more than a passing interest in success in your plantings.

Attempting to be "attitude-free" (yeah, as IF ),

Chelone

• sweeby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I enjoy your attitude Chelone! And you're close to home with the "It's an EXCUSE" comment -- I'm Busted! Most of the folks in my area pay to have their yards done, so the good nurseries I've seen near me are all wholesale only. Bet there are some others that I just don't know about though -- I'll just need to look. Or else, just maybe pay someone else to do it... I'm just a DIY'er at heart, and really enjoyed the creative process of designing and planting our old yard in Dallas. And this place has so much more potential!

• mjsee
    17 years ago

Chelone--

Don't worry sweeby isn't a dainty flower--she can take the best (worst?) this forum can dish out--she's a KITCHENS forum vet. You think WE get heated--you should check out one of the "corian vs granite" threads over there.

Sweeby--I will second the advice to find a decent (relatively) local nursery. And cultivate their staff. If you like "tasty" plants--and have a friend "on staff"--they will sometimes CALL you when something cool comes in. At least--I had a list of folks I would call when something "unusual" showed up and looked really good.

If you think you'll want to include roses in your mix--be certain to check out the rose forums---Antique rose forum has some great folks who contribute.

On the "what does best with morning shade/afternoons sun"--I know NOTHING about your area--but look for plants whose tags say "sun to part-shade." That means they will do well in the sun--but will TOLERATE some shade. And familarize yourself with your heat zone, as well as hardiness zone.

melanie/back from the beach!

Here is a link that might be useful: good info on heat and hardiness zones

• chelone
    17 years ago

huge sigh of relief...

Lol, kitchens... we have the bare-bones here (galley style, formica, no dishwasher, a white 'frig. w/o door dispensors/TV, and a 24" gas stove, shelves, no "cabinetry").

... feeling better now, thanks! ;)