SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mister_gin

Is a 12' trellis too long and/or too much to manage?

18 years ago

My new 4'-3" x 10' raised garden is all filled up and ready to go. Now I'm second guessing my layout. The 10' length runs parallel to a north south wall and is only 2' from the wall (on the east side). I laid it out this way so I wouldn't have to deal with the blazing afternoon sun here in Arizona. Also, my thinking was to put the taller plants against the wall so as not to block out everything else during the morning and early afternoon. I never took into account the use of a trellis.

I hadn't heard of square foot gardening until I came here. I was originally going to stake or use cages which meant less plants in my small area so I decided to go the SFG approach. I plan on putting six tomato plants (6') plus 4' of cucumbers, which I take to be 8 plants at 6" spacing. This means I would need a trellis which is about 12' long. My thinking was to use 1/2" pipe and tee it with 7' on one side of the tee for the tomatoes and 5' on the other for the cucumbers. This approach would give me an almost centered supporting leg instead of one long 12' span. Basically my questions are:

1) Is this trellis too long? Should it be broken up?

2) Do you think I should cut back on the number of plants?

3) Is it OK to have the tomatoes and cucumbers so close together?

4) Finally, pipe seems to cost a little more than I thought it would. Is there another approach/material I can use?

I take it I'll be pruning a lot but I guess thats what it take when working in a small area like this.

Thanks,

Wade

Comments (3)

Sponsored