SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gianne911

Help ID a Home Depot Nep?

Gianne911
19 years ago

I was walking through the greenhouse of Home Depot when a tray of dying plants shoved underneath a display shelf caught my eye. Kneeling down (and, aren't I the smart one, got the knees of my jeans wet because they just watered) and pushing aside the vining plants I saw an almost dead nep with two leaves, half scorched, the rest of the sorry plant eaten by who knows what. Since Im a softie, I just had to take it home.

Well, it recovered and its growing...and growing...and growing!! AAHHH! I had it in a little terrarium but it outgrew it so I stuck it on my bedroom windowsill. I think its a highland nep because it likes it better there. It hasn't reached full size yet (I hope it does....soon...) because each leaf keeps getting bigger.

THe leaves are an olive, bronzy green, foot long and 1/2 a foot wide, and has huge wavy margins. The pitchers are still immature, and the latest one was 3in tall. It has an olive green background, liberally splashed with bright red streaks, and has huge, wings in relation to the pitcher. THe wings have long fingers tipped with red. The peristome (lip) is medium in width, ridged, and candy cane striped with red. The lid is slightly vaulted, with a little spur on the connection of the peristome and the lid. It has red streaks too. Sorry no picture (stupid comp won't let me).

Thanks for looking! :)

Comments (15)