SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sail2371

Unidentified Plant from Home Depot is dying. Can anyone help?

sail2371
13 years ago

I've had this plant for about 3 weeks (see picture below), and it's proceeded to lose probably 70% of its leaves already.

{{gwi:116872}}

A lady in line with me at Home Depot said that the plant should not be watered often. She told me to take it home, give it a good watering, and then water every 1-2 months after that.

We are pretty good at killing plants for one reason or another, but this one just started dying immediately after bringing it home. We really like this one too, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also noticed a few sort of fuzzy balls (probably 1/8th inch across) forming on 1 of stalks/trunks/stems (whatever you call them). The almost look like salt deposits, and flake off pretty easily when touched. I tried to take a picture:

{{gwi:116873}}

Could this be some kind of cocoon for a bugs? Maybe a fungus or something? I count about 8 of these little balls on the plant now. 6 on one stalk, and 2 on different leaves of another stalk. Actually, looking at it again, there's quite a few of them. I'll see if i can get some better pictures. Here is one of a bunch of 3 white spots in the middle of the stems. Best my camera phone can do:

{{gwi:116874}}

Hoping someone here can help! Thanks all!

Comments (5)