SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl34_gw

new: mnf: there's no place like home swap

flowergirl34
13 years ago

~~~~Click your heels 3 times and say, "There's no place like home...there's no place like home..." lol! :) ~~~~~~

There really is no place like home. We all live in different areas of the country, different zones and have different gardening styles. And we are all brought together by our love of gardening and Making New Friends :)

So this swap is to share a little bit of YOU with your fellow MNF'ers. (sorry, that sounds a little dirty :0) )

This swap should include:

~plants and/or bulbs from your garden. OR if your like me and everything is still frozen to the ground...your local garden center can come through in a pinch ;)

~something about YOU~~~pictures of your garden, fliers about your town...Personalize it in your special way...even post cards or something from your local chamber of commerce might be great! :)

~and anything else you would like to add. Something you think your swapper would like...I don't know why but Chocolate always comes to mind :)...but, it could be anything... a cute little somethin' somethin' for the garden works too...be creative.

Shipping is a med. flat rate box, with delivery confirmation. Please post your d/c here when you mail.

Sign-ups are until April 12th.

I'll post swap partners on the 13th.

And you'll have until April 23rd to mail.

When you receive your box please post here so we can all enjoy your box with you :)

****This swap is open to ANYONE who wants to Make New Friends. This is a year long swap group that anyone can join at any time. You don't have to be a member...you can be a newbie or veteran...all you need to do is want to make a new friend or two****

And just to sweeten the deal...there will be GAMES! with PRIZES!!

How can you resist???? :) So sign up...

Thanks so much!

vina

Comments (150)

• rosemctier
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i love the daylily auction! i ordered most of my plants and all of my seeds from there this year. i've only received a few of the plant shipments so far but am very pleased :) most of the sellers i've dealt with are happy to wait and let you add to you order as long as you let them know. and so far everyone has sent bonuses! the generosity of plant people in general is really restoring my faith in humanity :) you guys seriously give me hope for the future :D

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Vina, who are the Headricks that you order from? There are so few of us with that particular spelling (with the a) that they are probably related! Would be neat to find out! :)

Still haven't heard from Faye, and I was hoping to have her box out within the next day or so. I have flowers dug already from having to move a bed (replacing some plumbing that runs directly under my best flower bed! UGH!!), so I *need* to get these sent! I already have a box going out to someone else, so if I don't hear from Faye, I'll get some more dug for her later on. Still....Hope she's OK! Hopefully just really busy like the rest of us! :)

Thought I'd post some pics of what opened up today! Loving the iris!!
    Bountiful Harvest

Not sure on this one, since the closest tag is Time Traveler, but that's clearly not it. It's not Red at Night, either, since that's in a different flower bed. Hmm. Gonna have to research it! :D

And now back to the plumbing! Oh, I can not WAIT to have a functioning bathroom again! :P

• Related Discussions

new: mnf: dreamin' of a green spring swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Oh, it's "Bad Impressions" night on the MNF forum!! LoL YAY!! :O) Well, first things first....My Boss's husband is Ok, the guy he hit is OK, just a broken ankle. The pedestrian was drunk, and ran out between 2 cars, and hit the side of his car. So now the ped. is in the tank, charged with public intoxication & playing illegal touch tag with moving vehicles. Or something to that effect. :O) So thanks for all the prayers. They've helped. My boss's husband's brother was killed in a hit and run 5 years ago, so that's why he was so shook up last night & not thinking straight. Just brought back so many horrible memories. Can't blame him a bit, honestly. That WOULD be a pretty horrible experience. Yikes. Okay....Now for the fun part. :O) Becki, Medo & Tracy..I am laughing my tail off, thinking of you perty young girls charming the pants off of those fellers!! :O) Oh My!! LOL!! *evil grin* Well, I can tease...yes I can. Because, after all...I HAVE given the mailman a few peeks, haven't I?!? I'd much rather be caught stinky & dirty...than nakie & wet!! LoL Wooo-Weeee!!!! Oh, that reminds me! I could just KICK my husband. He's done the same thing yours has, Tracy! (last week!) He told his buddy that he could borrow a tool, and "just pick it up at the house on your way through". (!) Oooookay. WITHOUT telling me!! Soooooo, wouldn't ya know it, right as I got out of the shower, I heard someone stick their head in the back door and say "helllooooooooo!!" YIPES!! So I wrap my hair up, put on hubby's shirt...and go see who is invaiding my house. To make matters worse, he couldn't find the tool, it's not where hubby said it'd be...so I have to help him search for it!! OMG!! Meanwhile, he's laughing behind my back. Geeze. AND this is the same buddy that knows about the SEARS/VACUUM episode!!! UGH!!!! *blush* But ya know what, ladies?? WE ARE BEAUTIFUL & SEXY no matter WHAT we smell like or are wearing!! AMEN??!!!! And we can reassure our selves with the fact that...One of these days....Our men WILL get their comupance. Oh yes. :O)
    ...See More

new: mnf: april fools swap! - sign ups

Q

Comments (151)
    A-Hem. Well...since you asked.... *grin*.... A VERY long time ago- about, oh, 18 years or so - I was at a slumber party with a couple of friends. We were roasting marshmallows on a bonfire, out in the front yard. And, since this was out in the sticks (and I mean...WAY out in the sticks, the closest neighbor was 5 miles away, and the closest neighbor to THEM was 5 miles away......ANYHOO....pardon, too many brownies, My mind tends to wander....) SOOOO....this was out in the sticks, and there were chickens running around in the yard. Poor, helpless, defenseless chickens. Lots and lots of chickens. So there we were, using old wire coat hangers (unfolded, of course) to roast marshmallows. Then, the unthinkable, un-avoidable, and totally a waste of good marshmallow happens. My marshmallow caught fire. And I don't mean *fire*. I mean....FLAMING, INCINERATING, little-ball-of-DEATH type fire. Yay. Naturally, I'm calm and collected....while the other girls are screaming their fool heads off. "YOUR MARSHMALLOW'S ON FIRE! YOUR MARSHMALLOW'S ON FIRE!!!!" Yeah, duh..... So, I react in an appropriate manner, of course. I start waving the coat hanger/marshmallow fire ball in the air, hoping to fan out the fire. Next thing I know, the marshmallow goes flying off the end of the wire, whizzing through the air.....ZOOOOMMMM!!!!...... And smacks a poor chicken RIGHT ON THE NOGGIN. Still flaming, with marshmallow-ey goo going everywhere, the poor chicken runs around bock-bocking all over the place. We all run for the water hose, and put the chicken out... But she didn't make it. :O( Guess what we had for supper the next night? Yep, roasted chicken!
    ...See More

new: mnf july swap: letting freedom ring

Q

Comments (145)
    Got the hubby home tonight and the first thing he did was start watering the bushes. Thank goodness. That is a job I find too overwhelming. It is so hot and dry, I am going to have to start regularly watering the flower gardens now. Thanks for the drink Celeegra. I had a long day. Hubby and I took his brother home to Kalamazoo and stayed overnight. Found out there are tons of greenhouses there and some are retail but most are wholesale. Of course, I had to stop. One was having their famous "cart sale" and they have those two shelved carts and you can load all you can get on it for 45.oo. I would have done it if it weren't for the fact we had already bought 8 huge bags of peat moss at Walmart for 2.50 a bag. I saw a lady with 5 flats on the bottom of her cart and a huge selection of gallon plants on the top. I settled for 4 for 10.00 perennials of which a Pow wow echinacea was included. Too excited. I then stopped at another place and they had 1.79 quart size perennials. I bought 3. It's a sickness I tell ya, a sickness. Margo
    ...See More

new: mnf october swap - u pick the theme

Q

Comments (150)
    Iris, you're coming in under the wire, but you made it! And what a cool theme! E-mail your address to Wendy, okay? Here's an update on who is playing, and what their theme is... Dan/dan_the_mailman.......... ALL THINGS YELLOW Becky/proudgm_03............. CELEBRATE FALL Carmen/gardencraze........... CURIOUS CONTENT BY ME Linda/lindaruzicka........... ON A MISTY MORN Leah/dancingrabbit........... ALL THINGS WILD Melissa/hazelnutbunny........ I DON'T WANNA GROW UP! Joan/ejmoore510.............. JACK-O-LANTERN JAMBOREE Wendy/sassybutterfly_2008.... MOONLIGHT SERENADE Kamil/kamiljablo............. A LITTLE BIT OF THIS N' A LITTLE BIT OF THAT... Amelia/amelia_pepper_lady..... BAYOU BLUES Heidi/bhnash ................. CHOCOLATE & VANILLA (yum!) Annie/canyonwind.............. GIRLS (AND BOYS) JUST WANNA HAVE FUN Laura/lilangel1181............ ALL THINGS BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL Daisy/Margarita10............. MARGARITAVILLE Margo/smitties................ AROMATHERAPY Alana/poisondartfrog.......... VAMPIRE SLUMBER PARTY Deb/debbya.................... FOR THE BIRDS Tery?/tergrov................. WOODSTOCK Jess/jessied.................. WARM COLORS, COOL TREATS Iris/rane_grow................ SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW And I believe that makes 20 players, if everyone has stayed current. Cool!
    ...See More
  • bigmama4ever
    13 years ago

im not paking this box until i get an addy, comon grace shake that booty..it would be in its way.....

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

All this talk about iris and daylilies, I had to look up some of the sites I wasn't familiar with.

I've always ordered from Wild Iris Rows and Blue J Iris and then I get my daylilies from a local daylily 'farm' right up the road from me. I use the daylily auction for seeds.

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Oh Boo Hoo I got left out and partners have been assigned.

I thought my post might have gotten lost but no there it is on April 5th.

Don't worry about it maybe I can catch the next one.

Shirley

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning everyone!!

Bunny, if you search HisIrisGarden on ebay all of there auctions will come up. They also have a website that I think is connected to ebay??? His Iris Garden. I ordered from them last year and they sent huge rhizomes that I'm pretty sure are going to flower this spring (in about a month).There iris farm is in Southern California. They are also GW'ers. :) Big bonus in my book! :)

Shirley, I AM SO SORRY!!!!!! Sending you an email. :)

Have a super Monday everyone!! Kiddo's are on vaca. for the week. Lord help me...2 play dates, 1 luncheon and getting ready for Easter.

vina

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I plan to mail sjc48's box on Wednesday-will post DC then.
    Alana

• sjc48
    13 years ago

Gardencraze/Carmen - your package is on the way! DC# 03103490000176820727. Hope you enjoy it!
    Alana, will be watching for it!
    Shirley!

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

Omg!!!Omg!!!Omg!!! I won!!!!I won!!!I won (jumping up &down
    Thank you vina!!!

You girls need to stop this Daylily- Iris talk it's making me crazy that I can't grow irises, but now DLs they do well in my zone
    Love those pix of Irises keep em coming

Shirly I can't wait to get my box I have lost so many plants with these Florida freezes I even lost a bunch of Dls.

Jennifer I'll mail your box on Tues.
    I won I won I won WoooooHoooooo!!!!!

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your win Carmen!

Melissa, I love your iris pictures. It seems hard to believe that in a month or so the iris here in my garden should be in bloom. It's around 38 degrees in the evening here. Old Man Winter has overstayed his welcome if you ask me. Where is spring? I thought it was supposed to be early this year. All of you with snow, I am so sorry, I know you must be sick and tired of it already.

Vina, you'll survive Easter break. One day when the kiddos grow up you're gonna miss these times, really you will. Unfortunately, our spring break will just be Good Friday and Easter Monday this year. I work at a preschool that is very academically oriented and doesn't believe in R & R for the kiddos or the staff, lol.

Sue N.

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Happy Tuesday everybody!

Shirley, I sent you an email yesterday, hoping you got it. I would love to swap with you!! And I'm so sorry I missed your name on the sign-ups list :( Your such a sweet lady, you should not be over-looked!

Alana, I should be mailing your box Saturday...there a couple of things I'm trying to find for you :)

Carmen, please send me your addy and I'll get your prize mailed right out to you :)

Melissa, I want to add to what everyone else has already said...MORE PICS PLEASE! It will be at least a month before I see an iris, and these pictures are great therapy. They keep me from surfing the iris garden websites and accidentally clicking the "add to cart" button, lol!

Sue, I know deep down I'll miss these days when the kids grow up...but when they are acting, let's say "special" whoo boy! :) But, I guess I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I can't believe we have break this week. I think its a little weird for the kids to be going back to school the day after Easter (they'll be sugar filled zombies after Easter Day). But, I guess that's my 2 cents. It is nice that you the Monday after Easter off...a little time to recover, and maybe the weather will be nice enough by next week to work outside.

It's a high of 38 today! And we had some disgusting wet snow/rain most of the day yesterday. At least its not those horrible tornadoes that have plagued the south, I feel just horrible for those poor people. Makes me just want to cry every time I turn on the news.

I noticed that we have been posting what our area of the country is about with all there wonderful traditions and such. LOVE THE IDEA OF A COOKIE TABLE!! I have never heard of that!! We have Italian wedding cookies placed on each table at receptions. My mother in law made ours for our reception. She made over 700 cookies. crazy lady :0)

I live in Upstate NY (weedsport) My town is actually a stop on the Erie Canal. We have canal walking/bike trails. The closest city is Auburn (about 10 minutes from me). It was voted "nicest small city" to move too, I think last year. Harriet Tubman and William Seward both lived in Auburn. What's funny is there houses are right down the road from each other. One is a mansion the other an incredibly modest home...guess who had which? Sarah Palin stopped at the Seward Mansion last year. And Sigourney Weaver was the guest speaker at the Case Museum last year. William Case invented the first sound camera. His carriage house (which is a theater) and mansion still stand.

And I can't mention Auburn without mentioning the Maximum Security prison right in the middle of the city. It is the only city in the US with a prison in the center. It is also the first prison to have the electric chair and to use it. The original electric chair is on display at a historical/pub bar downtown. What's funny is that if your from here you don't think anything about it...but, when my SIL visited from Tampa she started to hyperventilate a little when we went by. Its a VERY large and imposing compound. 30 foot tall cement walls within steel walls. One way in/ one out. And a minute man statue (from the Revolutionary War) stands on the very top of the building. It is said that when a person gets out of prison he better not turn around and look at the minute man, if he does, he will be back in in less than a year.

We are surrounded by wineries, apple farms, horse farms, dairies and the Finger Lakes. It seems just about everyone around here has a boat. You can go on the Seneca River (about 4 minutes from my house) and access the Finger Lakes all the way to Lake Ontario (about 25 minutes away).

I live in a small town, where everyone just about knows everyone else. The seniors get together for coffee every day at the local diner (Arnolds). In the summer they all drive there scooters and even a couple of golf carts. :) It's pretty neat to see.

How about you all...I bet there are some wonderful things in each and every town! So lets hear em :)

I'll be posting a new game later today...as soon as I think of one :)

Have a super day!
    vina

• celeegra
    13 years ago

Bigmama, I'm not sure why you're not getting my emails. Did you check your junk box?
    Anyway you can contact me at celeegra@yahoo.com

Em, your package is flying today! I threw a little packet of something from your wish list in at the last minute so careful when you open it. Most of the other seeds are in the envelope. Hope you like everything.

I'll have to check out the iris/daylily sites. Thanks for the leads, ladies!
    Grace

• celeegra
    13 years ago

Em: DC# is 0496 9002 0340 4323 4203

Ladies, you are terrible enablers. I went to Wild Iris Rows & clicked on the first picture ALICE GOODMAN & fell deeply madly truly in love. So who's my sponsor for Iris Addicts Anonymous? Grace

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

Oh Grace... I don't know about being a sponsor, but I can be your 'enabler' if you'd like?!?! 8-)

They are sooo addicting! As if I haven't bought enough already, I continue to buy on eBay as I find ones I want.

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Vina, your area sounds just beautiful.
    Shirley so sorry you got missed on the partners. Like Vina said, you are a sweet lady AND a great swap partner.
    The area here in Nevada is beautiful too. Wish I knew how to post pictures. It looks like scenes from old western movies.
    Still quite cold with snow on the mountains. I'm loveing it but I'm mostly inside. The men, on the other hand, are working long days out in the cold. They really appreciate their nice hot dinners when they get back.
    Counting down to Easter
    BB

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

Jennifer, your box flew out of florida today...YEAAA
    DC#0310 3200 0000 3654 6230

I hope you like what I sent, I had a ball puting it together.

Grace I suppose I could be a sponsor since I have been clean of irises for a few yours Or maybe not, I'm afraid I might fall off the Iris wagon and have to move back up north.
    I must say the road to recovery begins by admitting that you have a problem.LOL :o)

hugs, carmen

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Hi Vina....I did not get your e-mail but don't you worry a bit about it. Very interesting about your home town..alot of history there. I can catch next months.

Shirley

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Wow Vina, your area sounds so nice. I'm sure it must be just beautiful with the finger lakes and all, in the summer especially. I can see why you put up with all the snow in the winter.

I'll have to put your area in my travel plans as well, maybe in 2012 as well, since you are only a few hours away. I must say, making travel plans is more exciting than all that remodeling I've been doing, lol!

Sue N.

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning!! :)

Sue, So sorry you didn't get my email...but if you still want to swap, just let me know. I can put a box together lickity split :)

Beth, I would love to see Nevada...maybe someday. The "old west", just sounds wonderful. It must be so exciting to be a part of it all.

Carmen, thanks so much for your addy. :) I'll mail out your prize on Thurs.

Sue, we'd love to have you :)...the more the merrier! What kind of renovations are you doing?? Would love to hear about them...might give me some ideas. :)

Come on everyone! I'd love to hear about where y'all live...

And I think my 57 iris' for the year is down the tubes. I discovered another site...anyone heard of Bluebird Haven Iris Farm? Prices are too good to pass up. ***click, add to cart...click, add to cart...click, add to cart***

Grace, I don't think I can help you...I can't even help myslef. As Carmen said, the first step is admitting you have a problem...I'm not even at step one.

My hubby tells people, "hey, she doesn't drink, she doesn't smoke...she just has a plant problem" LOL! plant problem, he makes me laugh every time I hear it. Another good one is when he sees me come home from the garden center with more plants and he says, "where are you gonna "tuck" this one?" (Man, he has my number...TUCK! :) )

GAME TIME.....GAME TIME............GAME TIME................

Okay, so since its so close to Easter, I figured we could play an Easter game. My daughters class did this one and she liked it...so hopefully you will too.

How many words can you make from the words:

HAPPY EASTER

These have to be real words, not (as my daughters teacher puts it) nonsense words.

Please DO NOT post your list here, please email it to me.

The deadline for receiving your list is Monday April 25.

Whoever can come up with the most words WINS!! :)
    And...since this will be our last game for the month I'm doing a SECOND PLACE as well.

I'll post the 2 winners list here when its all over.

Good Luck and Happy Spelling!!

Have a great day and talk to you later,
    vina

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

Are we using al the leters in happy easter or with just happy and just easter????

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Both words, Happy Easter. :)

Ex: paste (p from Happy and aste from Easter)

Clear as mud right? :)

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

OmgosH got my box from Shirly!!!!!! will post pix later

CAN'T WAIT TILL I OPEN!!!! YIPEEEEE!!!!!!!!

• nottougly
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I am running way behind with everything going on. So it will be next week before I can mail out my box. So sorry for the delay.
    bigmama4ever I need your mailing address so I can mail it to you.
    Faye!

• bigmama4ever
    13 years ago

send my box out today, will post dc tomorow 134 central ave sierra vista az..85635 i live an hour away from mexico, 30 minutes from bisbee, 20 from tomestone, 75 min from tucson, 2 hrs from phonex, 20 from kotchner caverns, so my visitors usualy get a tour of the neighboorhood, they get to see the wall between mex and az, the hole in bisbee, doc holladay in tomestone hes a hoot he really gets into character..im mexican so my traditions are pinatas like i was telling my partner, we basicly do the pinata for every ocacion, quinceaneras, weddings , b days, and the hughe goody bag filled with mexican candy and chocolates. we dont go into mex as much as we used to , you know the situation isnt as it was, but i still get my coffe and cheese from over there..no i dont wear boots and hat, but i get a kick from all the people that visit and or stay in these parts, at the store sometimes i hear indians speaking their language, yea all kinds, from india or from around here..french, well just about everyone, we also have fort huachuca, lots of soldiers, lots of people from everywere..come on over parner, weather today 80, que mas quieres...

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

Received my box from Jennifer today... Jennifer you did good girl!!!! What a wonderful box she sent.

She sent. clumps of Valerian,Woodruff,and feverfew
    2 Gerber Daisys a daisy growing kit, beautiful hand made greeting cards,Jennifer did you draw the flowers and buterflys??? they are beautiful I love those, great job
    also an awesome yankee candle in a candle holder.. love it!
    Oh soo good jelly beans and chocolate eggs ...yummy!!!
    a whole bunch of literature from her hometown including a newspaper and an absolutely adorable photo album with pix of her garden and other wonderful pix that she has taken.

{{gwi:1255848}}
    I love it all... thank so much
    Hugs, Carmen

• sjc48
    13 years ago

OMG! I can so see me doing something like this! Carmen, not to worry-life gets crazy. I am really glad that you got THIS package-it was so goofy here this weekend with packing everything up to mail out for Easter, you could have just as easy got my granddaughter's easter baskets,or my niece's B-Day earrings, or the phone bill!
    I'm glad you liked everything. No, I didn't draw the pictures on the cards. I used one of my softwares to turn the pics into sketches. I enjoy creating them, and I'll use any excuse to get out and take pics!
    Shirley aka Jennifer!

• veeja11
    13 years ago

Beth your box flew out this morning, found two things later that should have been in the box conf # 03110240000106391490
    hope you enjoy it.my new dog is a real lap dog think she is a snoodle, she is really happy to be here, got car sick in sons semi so he left her for me name is tisha, was sophie but we changed it. hugs to all my bloomin friends

• jshipway
    13 years ago

carmen-Thank you so much I will let you know when I get it and I will have fun opening it up.

I had sent out to easter basket
    rosemctier- you will be getting yours soon your tracking number is 420153709101010521297967943114
    Sue- your tracking number is 420444719101010521297967953809

Jennifer

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning everyone!

The boxes are flying and look amazing!!

bigmamma,where you live sounds very exciting! So close to so many different cultures, just sounds nice. What kind of cheese do you get in mex.?

Carol, awesome name for your new snoodle :) I had a tasha when I was growing up...super dog.

I've received one word game entry so far, and its a doosy...keep em coming...you have till monday.

Carmen, your prize box is in the mail :) I hope I found something for your Florida weather that you can enjoy.

Have a terrific day!
    vina

• jshipway
    13 years ago

Sorry I had posted in the wrong group Sue I am also working on other box for you for this swap.

Jennifer

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Shirley's box went out yesterday morning-DC 420481619101969010383092280245.
    I hope you like it!
    Alana

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

LMAO!!! OMGosh..... Shirley I just got it!!!! I could not understand your post this morning so I came back in to see if I could make heads or tails out of what I was reading...I was very confused about your AKA LOL and viola I got. Stress will it all the time.

Thank God we are among friends,

Have a blessed day, Carmen (still laughing)

• sjc48
    13 years ago

Carmen - my friend Rhonda and I are still laughing too! When I told her what happened, she said "OMG! She's just like us!"
    Also, just wanted to let Rosemctier know that I got her package this morning, and all I can say is "WOW!!" Rose and I had a private trade arranged, for 2-3 kinds of plants and Rose sent me those plus 3-4 more! Thank You!! Rose, I'll email ya later!
    Okay, off to re-arrange my garden plans!
    Shirley!

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I am running behind... I was hoping to have your package out the beginning of the week Vina, but that didn't work. I'll get it out either Saturday or Monday.

I just emailed my word list to you.

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Hi Melissa,

I sent your box yesterday. It is scheduled to arrive on Saturday. Here is the DC#03100480000371740884. I hope you like it.

Sue N.

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Happy Good Friday!! Happy EARTH DAY!! :)

So far, I have received game lists from Shirley, Sue and Em. All very impressive. I never knew you could come up with that many words from Happy and Easter :) Keep sending in your lists :) you have till Monday.

Anybody doing anything for Earth Day?
    For the last 7 years on Earth Day we go buy a tree. Most of the time its like 40 degrees and we'll even have wet snow...but I take the kids and we go buy a tree, stick by the back deck and plant it later in the month. We have 4 of the original 7 left...3 of our peach trees bit the dust with some kind of fungusy grossness.

But I still have a Dutch Elm, Flowering Pear, Ponderosa Pine and Sugar Maple. Since we have just about zero shade in the yard they have really helped :)

Hope everyone is having a nice Easter...any plans for anything special?

Alana, I'm sending you an email :)

Have a great day everyone and go plant something,
    vina

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

I received some of my daylilies that I ordered on the Lily Auction that I will be planting today.

Have a happy Earth Day everyone, and like Vina says, go plant something.

Sue N.

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Vina, you asked about our renovations. We bought a century home that we are really gutting out and redoing completely, from the electrical to the plumbing to new drywall. We are doing the whole second floor, two bedrooms (foremerly three) and a full bath. The first floor is more modern, so we just have cosmetic work left for the most part, thank goodness.

This picture is what the demolition looked like. This used to be two small bedrooms, 9 x 16 each, now one bedroom 18 x 16 feet.

And here is how it looks so far, almost done!

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

Hey guys does anybody know who is doing May swap??

Vina I planted 4 blueberry bushes today Happy arbor day

Sue what a great job you are doing it looks like you have your work cut out for ya

Jennifer you should have receved your box yesterday i hope it's not lost.
    Hugs, Carmen

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Faye's box went out today. DC# 0310 2010 0000 4416 8648
    Hope she enjoys everything!

• sjc48
    13 years ago

I got my package from Poisondartfrog/Alana today, and without ever seeing my "GOTTA HAVE THAT" plant list, she sent me 2 from that list!
    I got a Purple Volcano Salvia (I love the decorative salvias) and a Blue Mouse Ears Hosta! The BME is one of only two hostas that I really like (sorry, Hosta people!), and could never find for the right price.
    Okay, checked those two off the list!
    She also sent a Huechera Mocha, a Canna Vanilla Ice, an Arum italicum, a Salvia nubicola, a Daylily Artic Snow, a Daylily Elizabeth Salter and a Buddleia Lindlana! WOW!
    Also a pretty little Easter bag with chocolate eggs and a package of seed envies! Also a pair of flip flops and a copy of her hometown newspaper, and a nice, chatty note! Alana, this was just great! The Blue Mouse Ears Hosta will keep me smiling for a long time!! Thank You!
    Shirley!

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

Happy Good Friday everyone!

Sue, your renovation work is coming along nicely!

Shirley, I'm one of those 'hosta people' but I don't take offense! Everyone has their own taste in plantings... :-) There are tons of hostas that I would never plant because I don't like the look of them! LoL

I received my package from Grace yesterday... it include a lovely card explaining everything and what it means.

I'm at work so I hope I don't leave anything out:

Highland Lord daylily seedling
    Jasmine Stephanotis seedling
    Heuchera (Do you know the name Grace?)
    Asiatic lily Blue Eyes
    Paper heart with seeds (TOO cool, where do you find something like this?)
    Little glass rooting vase that suctions to a window (I needed a new one!)
    Seeds: hosta mix, clematis, hippeastrum, coneflower, zinnia, hellebore mix
    Stickers
    Tattoos

Thank you very much Grace!!! I'm sorry I didn't post last night but I was too busy planting everything. 8-)

Em

• sjc48
    13 years ago

Okay, I'm done doing the happy dance over the Blue Mouse Ears Hosta, and I called my SIL back in PA to tell her to cross it off the list-we've got each other's backs when it comes to plants!
    I decided to take a more "in depth" look at my package, and OMG - the chocolate eggs were Dove/coconut filled! WHOO!
    And, did some research on the salvia nubicola, and again, OMG - it is a rare form of salvia, it looks like the cocchineas, which I love, and it is yellow with brown spots! Have never seen a yellow salvia!
    And the flip flops fit!!
    And the buddleia will go a long way to solving THAT problem-long story!
    Okay, I'm done now!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I am glad you enjoyed the box, Shirley. It was fun putting it together.
    Have a good weekend everyone,
    Alana

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

oooo spotted yellow-- sounds very tawny, like cheetah fur or something LOL i too love the unusual weird varieties of things! and i totally get the hosta thing-- they all look alike to me! i imagine people say that about daylilies too. i think it's a good thing that we all have different interests or we'd be fighting to the death over plants LOL

what an amazing renovation Sue! looks amazing. when you are done you can come help renovate this cabin. seems like we never quite finish whatever job we undertake LOL

my local tidbit-- waynesburg pa was actually a stop on the underground railroad!

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Norma, I meant to post that your area sounds very nice, and culturally very diverse, and did I mention, warm!? Being only half an hour from Mexico must be so neat. I hear that the best pure vanilla can be purchased in Mexico too. A friend of mine brought me some about twenty years ago, and it was the best vanilla I ever used. Of course, being in Ohio, I haven't visited, but my husband used to go and buy horses when he lived in Texas. Of course, that was a long time ago, before we met. I did visit San Angelo TX with him about five years ago in April, and it was 93 degrees. It didn't feel that warm since there was virtually no humidity. I loved the people especially, very friendly. The lakes had pretty much dried up, but I guess that happens now and then according to the locals, and there was sand and cacti everywhere.

Rose, how neat about the Underground Railroad stop in Waynesburg, I never knew. Here in Ohio, Cleveland and Sandusky are known for being ports for the UR, but here in the Youngstown area there is no mention of it. I am learning so much from all of you sharing your info about your home towns!

Shirley, I imagine you doing cartwheels in your new flip flops, lol! You have great enthusiasm for your box, as do we all, but for some reason when I read your post, I couldn't help but laugh imagining you receiving your package.

Great boxes are flying around. Everything sounds wonderful.

It is raining here for the past few days, not a heavy rain, just a steady annoying kind, sometimes a drizzle and sometimes a little harder rain. If this continues, I will have to get out the old rainsuit and go do some weeding and move a couple of things around. My DH says I crazy, but I would rather be out there tending to things in the spring before things grow out of control. So tell me, do any of you have rainsuits that you wear to garden in the rain in too, or am I really "special", lol?

Have a great day ladies.

Sue N.

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

I forgot to say thanks to all of you for your inspiration regarding the renovations. I am getting a little tired of it at this point. DH just woke up and said he needs me to help him with the trim today so we can get the carpet installed. It's almost done, so I guess I won't be weeding in the rain, boo hoo I have to work in the house. Oh well, I am off of work on Monday so maybe I can garden then.

Rose, you are only a couple of hours away, so if you need help tackling that cabin, I think I can convince DH and we can have a home improvement DIY weekend or something like they do on HGTV. I'm sure he'd love to work on a cabin. He has always wanted to purchase and live in one. I call him "Grizzly Adams", lol.

Sue N.

• sjc48
    13 years ago

Sue - I'm 63 now,and even when I was 12, I couldn't do cartwheels! But, mentally, yes, lots of them! My friends all tease me about my "instant enthusiasms"! And I was really excited to see so many nice plants in my swaps. 3 of which I didn't think I'd have for a while, because of the expense. Alana and Rose are really generous folks!
    I got some of the swap plants in the ground today, also cleared another bed. None of the kids are coming for Easter, so if it's nice tomorrow, I want to do some direct sowing.
    Hope everyone has a nice Easter!
    Shirley!

• jshipway
    13 years ago

Carmen I had got your package today and I want to say what a great package it was. A lot of plants I would say. I got bleeding heart vine, Golden Chalice Vine, Chines Hat Plant, Queen Ena Lily, Walking Iris, Red Amaryllis, Yellow Flower Spikes, Iris, Gardenia, Flowering Ginger, Mock Orange, Mexican Fine Vine. 2 Garden Rocks, White Bird, Mini Storage containers, Water Crrystals, Bird Houses, Hand Sanitizer, bubble Eggs, bugs and lots more.

Thanks, Carmen

Sue I am working on your other package now.

Jennifer

• veeja11
    13 years ago

Beth, are you and your pkg in the same state ?