SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

new: mnf july swap: letting freedom ring

dan_the_mailman
12 years ago

First, the usual rules:

You must be at least 18, a trader in good standing, and wish to have a fun time.

Secondly, dates to remember:

July 8th: Last Day to Sign-Up

July 9-10: Choosing of Partners by Players

July 18: Send by day, NO EXCEPTIONS

What You'll Be Sending:

At least 5 different types of perennials

1 item that'll make noise in the garden, possibly bells or windchimes. Get creative.

One issue of your local newspaper.

NO cuttings (they tend to not travel well in the heat)

Seeds are optional, but don't count towards your 5 perennials

General stuff: This group is about making new friends, and as an old member I can vouch for the group. I've made some great lifetime friends by participating in these swaps, and want to encourage any and all who'd like to participate to join in!

The idea behind the newspaper is that it would be great to see what is happening locally for the person who sent you your box.

The idea behind the 5 types of perennials is that it's always nice to share our gardens with someone who will appreciate it. (Remember, send multiple plants if possible of each type so they can be established in their new home.)

One of our basic freedoms which we all enjoy is the Freedom of Speech. So, this time around, I'm going to do more than just encourage you all to talk...lol! After all, the more we each talk on these threads, the better everyone gets to know us, right?

When you decide to sign up for this swap, I'd like you to each e-mail me with your address AND a list of the plants you'll be putting in your box. It doesn't have to be a final list, just a few names of some of the plants you'll be sending will do.

Then post, talk on the thread, post some more, and when you've run out of things to say, get creative and talk some more!

On the morning of July 9th, I will post a list of the boxes and their contents, but not who is sending them. Sort of like the old lunchbox social idea. I will also post a list of everyone playing, in the order they get to choose from the boxes which are available. And how will I be deciding that order, you ask? Lol, this is where your posting is going to help you. The more you talk/post on this thread (and any further ones if need be), the sooner you get to choose which box you want sent to you! The gabbiest person gets first choice, the second gabbiest gets to choose second, and so on until all the boxes have been chosen. If there is a tie, say 3 people have 9 posts each, then it'll come down to the order in which they joined this swap.

So, join the swap, take a walk through your garden and decide what you'd like to include in the box you send, send me that e-mail by the night of July 8th, and GET TALKING!!! (if there needs to be any judgement calls about number of postings versus length of postings, Bump and Stella will be called upon as judges. And since I have to live with them, their decisions will be final.)

HAPPY JULY!!!

-Dan

Comments (145)

• wispfox
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Steven King's Dark Tower series was actually pretty neat. I was glad that I started that one, although I don't recall why I did.

It's just that _any_ scary movies (or books; Heinlein's puppetmaster still gives me nightmares) are bad for my psyche.

Silly psyche!

No really, off to be productive. ;)

Suzanne

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

So many posts, so little time! I will never keep up.
    I am a King fan too, but none of it is very scary. I guess IT comes closest.

• Related Discussions

NEW: mnf: k~i~s~s (keep it simple & sweet) feb.swap

Q

Comments (141)
    Hello and thanks so much for this fun swap!!!!!!!!! Shirley & Craftie2 & Corrine & Vina thanks for the congrats. It felt so good to win that I actually jumped up and did a dance. My significant other, Noel, went running for his camera so I calmed right down lol. No need for documentation... but I am so in love with all things garden and gardening that the idea of a "supa prize" got me up into the air. Corrine, thank you for your thoughts on attitude -- I think you've got that absolutely right and I'll be filing your examples in the back of my mind and pulling them out when necessary and applicable....probably tomorrow lol!!!! Have had a lot of fun and enjoyed meeting you all -- looking forward to sharing and hearing about everyone's gardening exploits and experiences in the coming season. Thank you so much Vina for brightening each day with your stories and wonderful pictures, games, etc. and for all your organizational effort!!! Best wishes, Barbara rhodes145
    ...See More

UPDATE: mnf July swap: letting freedom ring (part 2)

Q

Comments (146)
    wow the coneflower rage is still on! I have to tell you I'm loving the blanket flowers & think I need to do a little hunting. I know I got some seeds in trades last year. Margo, sounds like you got some really sweet deals! I'm neck & neck with mamasllamas! I'm not really competitive. I just wanted an excuse to say mamasllamas. tee hee. Love that name! :) Shirley, I was in Milford PA / Lake Wallenpaupack area. Nice because it is always a few degrees cooler there, higher elevation, more dense forest & waterfalls than NYC. There's also a raptor rescue center that always has some amazing events. There was one including a golden eagle, peregrin falcon & snowy owl, with a surprise cameo from a wild bald eagle that happened to be around. Crazy. Also the most amazing sugar baby watermelons & local raspberries. Yum. I love summer fruit. Suzanne, I had a black goldfish that used to play with me. I would stick my hand in the water & she would swim into my open hand until I lightly pulled on her tail & she would swim away & then swim back into my hand for more! It started with an especially hot summer where I kept sticking my hand in the water to check the temp in there. She also loved it when I added "air conditioning" (aka ice cubes). I know it's not supposed to be good for their scales, but she *loved* it & would swim around in the cold meltoff. Holly, Suzanne, send some of that rain my way, because my garden is suffering. Unless Margo wants to pawn her hubby off to me in this trade to water my plants (will he fit in a large flat rate? I'm assuming he's considered a perenial) :0 stay cool, folks. grace
    ...See More

update: mnf july swap: letting freedom ring (part 2, 2nd try)

Q

Comments (1)
    IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...
    ...See More

update: mnf july swap: 'letting freedom ring', part 4

Q

Comments (20)
    notougly sent me a very generous box :) On top of the 5 plants she also sent nice clumps of wandering jew, spider plant, vinca minor and the wind chime is sooo beautiful. She also sent some yummy trail mix, 2 key chains, one is an angel the other is a lucky penny from Tennessee, computer cleaner,gardening gloves, Tennessee playing cards, hand sanitizers, a pen and pencil holder in the shape of a watering can (so cute!) AND seeds!!! Faye you out did yourself. And just getting over double pneumonia. It was very worth the wait and I'm so happy. Thank you thank you! :) Laura
    ...See More
  • sjc48
    12 years ago

There is an old saying: "be careful what you wish for, you might get it" Very True. I was so happy that it rained all week, so I couldn't do any weeding. Today? I wanted to take a run up to Howell, MI for the Hot Air Balloon Challenge, and guess what? It's calling for T-Storms this afternoon and evening, when the first launch is. Drat!
    I might try Battle Creek, if I haven't missed it. Would really like to take pics of the balloons.
    Xiangirl-where are you? Get talking, girl!
    What Dan and bunny said about SK is what I was trying to say.
    I haven't had homemade sauce since my MIL passed. Miss it.
    I have to go get some more potting soil too.
    I think the screen was turning red because of the Sherwin Williams ad's proximity to the side roll bar, or whatever that's called. I bumped it with the arrow when trying to scroll down, and my screen turned red, turned everything off and it was gone when I came back on
    The sun is coming out-decisions, decisions!
    Shirley!

• mamasllamas
    12 years ago

well it stopped raining but now the it's the wind!
    I have a daylily named creppy crawler, i bet there's a ton of clown named daylilies out there? i would kind of like to personalize my swap box so i'm going to be looking at the name i get and see their want list! holly

• celeegra
    12 years ago

Margo! Good to see you back!

Shirley, between this thread & June�s, you have me literally fall out of my rolly office chair, on the floor, I was laughing so hard. Yes, oh wise one, squirrels do not partner.

Kathie, I got Olive as a rescue & have been thinking about fostering. Can�t do cats since my dear partner is allergic, but our home is welcome to dogs, birds, fish. Oh no squirrels. I work full time right now, so I don�t know how it would work out, but I�d love to hear your thoughts or advice on it.

Dan+, anyone with too much makeup scares me, clown or no. I did enjoy reading Carrie, but never been a huge fan of his other works or the movie adaptations. It does remind me though that Edgar Allen Poe actually started as a romantic poet & ended up writing his creepy stuff because it was so much more successful & helped him pay the bills.

Dan, I think I'm now at 2. (but who's counting) :)
    grace

• sjc48
    12 years ago

I was wrong-I finished reading Carrie, but it didn't scare me, it made me cry-that poor little girl.
    I cried when I read "Remembering Blue" by Connie Mae Fowler,too; got really angry over "Fall On Your Knees".
    I've been upstairs pricing stuff for my brother's Gigantic Yard Sale, back in PA. I started cleaning out attics and closets back in January. Everything was downstairs in the living room. Didn't want to live like that until July, so carried everything back upstairs. DUH, DUH, DUH. Can anyone else see the flaw in this system?
    Linda-did you have your root canal done today? how did it go?
    Shirley!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Holly, lists are due before we do anything about partners, and there will be no changing them after someone chooses your box. You can always add to your box afterwards, but to participate in this swap, you must turn in a list of at least 5 perennials you'll be putting into your box. That way, when I announce the order in which we'll all be picking our boxes, everyone will know what to expect.
    No exceptions.

Today has been a full one. My roomie has been put on insulin and spent the whole day at the VA getting educated on how to take care of himself. He's got to go back on Monday for another day of training. ***sigh***
    While he was there, I got the grocery shopping done, which is MUCH easier with two people...lol! Then it was time to pick up Joe from the VA, head home to unload the car AFTER putting the cats in my room so they wouldn't escape, put everything away, and make the sauce. My house is now beginning to smell garlicky and cheesy, which is simply my most favoritest way for it to smell! I'm thinking dinner may end up being domino's delivery. I really don't feel like doing any more tonight.
    Well, I'm off to check the sauce and do some serious relaxing. I'd tell you all to behave yourselves, but, what's the use in that??? LOL!!! JUST DON'T INVOLVE THE POLICE, THAT'S ALL I ASK!

TTFN
    -Dan

• wispfox
    12 years ago

Hello all!

Got a bunch of potting soil, and filled one of the containers (the one for cucumbers) with it. Good thing I got two bags of soil! Planted the seeds, got it a little wet, and put it over with the tomatoes and peppers.

Tomorrow, there will be planting of peas, I think.

We've got squirrels, chipmunks, bunnies - although I think a damn cat got one of the babies! :( - many birds, butterflies, and goldfish. Also, at least in theory, my tadpoles should be frogs soon. They're protected from the goldfish by some mesh. :)

Shirley - oh no! Now everything will have to come back _down_ in July. I do hope you have some help?

grace - I had no idea about Edgar Allen Poe (mis-type "Pie") originally being a romantic poet! That's really fascinating. I wonder if his poetry is any good?

I have _so many_ orange daylilies in bloom right now. I often think that the previous owners really liked just letting the garden do what it wanted, since we seem to have an awful lot of basically everything in the garden. Not so fond of orange, though. Or pink. Alas! We'll slowly make our changes, oh yes!

Oh! I have a link to the garden, actually. :) In case anyone wants to see, go here!

I do like this garden. :)

Suzanne, off to dinner

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

okay guys, I survived the root canal.."flopping on chair with a big sigh". She had an emergency so it didn't get started till about 10:30 instead of 9:30 so I sweated an extra hour. I have a temp cap on it for about two weeks then I'll get the real cap. I'm glad I had it done but I don't ever want to have another one! Rash is almost gone too!

I'm hoping to get to my gardens over the weekend unless I decide to go to Altoona to visit my family. The weather is supposed to be in the upper 70's instead of how hot it has been. Perfect weeding weather. The reason why I'm not sure about going to Altoona is in case I have unexpected trouble with this tooth. The tech had trouble finding a temporary crown to fit it because the one she made from my tooth impression was too thin and it's an extra large tooth. So she sorta had to rig something up.

ANYWAYS, "whipping up a batch of cookies, putting on more tea, slapping down some tequila and tossing a few beers on the bar",,what's everyone else have planned for the weekend?

• auntyara
    12 years ago

I don't read many books any more. The last book I read was," American on purpose" by Craig Ferguson, Funny guy, but quite crazy! I used to watch his late night talk show and some nights I would laugh my head off. Too bad it's on sooo late.
    Talking about crazy...
    I taught myself "via the internet" of course, how to root cuttings. It's so addictive :) It's so much fun, I feel like I can do magic. LOL
    Linda what did you say was in the tea again?? Mines all empty, can I have another please? :)

Anyway here's a pic of my craziness!

they are under a misting system that sure wasn't cheap, but heck I'm worth it.
    I was telling my DH summer comes just once a year, I wanna enjoy every minute of it!... He just rolled his eyes :) he's so cute! lol, but you all know what I mean.
    Dan- I'm starving.. is the lasagna done yet?
    :) Laura

• auntyara
    12 years ago

I really do type too sloooow.
    Dan that looks amazing! (Wiping drool)... I will be as good as gold while you are busy, but I can't account for the others heehee!
    Susanne- so lush and green, I love the cottage garden look!! I'm trying to have that too. I bought and old farm house and they farmed cows, not so much into the landscape. They did have privets, forsythias, and lilacs, not much else but weeds. I've been here 18 yrs and I still don't have it the way I want it. soon though, I hope :)
    Linda- root canal.. ouch! but soon you will forget you ever hurt, and you can chew normal again :)

• mamasllamas
    12 years ago

my new rose label markers arrived today that was fast 2 day shipping from paw paw labels 100 for 40., the p touch machine hasn't been used this much, it's been rolling out the tags. I've got all my daylilies but 3 tagged with the new markers, asking for ID's on daylily forum. somehow it feels good to know everyone has got their correct name on them........
    and i've marked where the new variety coneflowers are, i've been wanting to share some of the fancy ones but didn't know who was who till they started popping open. i'm done for the day the horses have been feed, early thought it was going to kick up another storm but it's passed by holly

ohh stopped at lowes today they had a new petite butterfly bush called futterfly white I got a few broken stems of it and they're in the garden now.
    they had no new coneflowers except that old tall prairie splendor. i was looking for a yellow maybe i should look at the rudabeckias. i'm looking for something with the cone on top and the petals going down in yellow.

• wispfox
    12 years ago

Laura: _WOW_ that's a lot of plants. I thought I was bad!

Linda: I'm _so_ sorry to hear you had to have a root canal! But at least it should mean that your tooth should be happier soon enough. Kind of odd that the one they made you was too thin! I'm not even sure how that would happen.

auntyara: So what that means is that anything you get through this swap will have somewhere to grow and spread, right? :)

Dan: now I want lasagne! Also, I should be more sure about what I'll have to put in the box after Sunday. Will update my tentative list that I emailed then!

Suzanne

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    12 years ago

I'm not a Scare Fan. I prefer a good murder show. I tell people I like the shows that start with a murder and for the next hour you dig up the clues and find out who and why.
    Besides, I was traumatized as a child when I saw Bambi and the hunter killed Bambi's mom. ha

• smitties
    12 years ago

Oh my, go to work for the day and these posts become numerous. I have been reading through them but had to move forward to post because my dog is eyeing me due to the fact that I promised her a walk. We missed our morning walk due to rain. If I don't get going, who knows what little goody she might leave on the floor for me.

I will have to come back later to catch up.

Dan, glad I just ate but your lasagna is a sight!! Great job.

Catch you all later, Margo

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Bunny-not to worry-photobucket hates me!
    Wisp-Yeah, I know, every one of those boxes back down in the living room. I'm taking some stuff back to sell for my neighbor, and she might help me. If not, I'd better start hauling stuff down tomorrow, to be ready for July 8th! I'm taking some of the big stuff back this weekend. I loved your gardens! Especially the pond and the astilbes. What was that big, red, fluffy tree?
    Laura-Very Impressive! I'm going to try petunia cuttings this fall. Not much luck growing them HM/GL, WSing really wasn't that great either.
    Margo-my cats sit and stare at me if I don't get them their treat right on time! Un-nerving!
    Xiangirl-didn't the hunter kill the father? I can't remember-I never read that story to my kids. Remember the shlemeil over the Lion King?
    Linda-glad it went well!
    Hey, nite all!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    12 years ago

Ok, Shilo is happy. We took our walk and when we returned to our house, she began to go crazy running around the front yard. She then proceeded to run circles around one of our cats totally freaking the cat out. Shilo has been with us for just over a month and the cats have been slow at accepting her but they are coming around. I suspect her behavior tonight set Peanut back a little in trusting Shilo. It was pretty funny though.

Laura, you sure have a great garden going.

Linda, glad that job is done for you. I hate, hate dental work. I end up with a headache and my whole body aches after because I am so tense. I don't hold the shots very well and they wear off quickly. Becomes quite painful at times.

Laura, tried to look at your pics but my computer is acting up and was playing too many games so I will have to check it again tomorrow.

Thanks for the cookies and drinks Linda. I don't have any plans for the weekend because I have to work. I do have to get out and mow Sunday as soon as I get home. It's been two weeks since hubby mowed so it is getting a little long out there.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Good night. Margo

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh No!!! Did someone actually use the words "damn cat"? Shame, shame, shame on you Suzanne!!! I just hope Her Royal Highness or His Majesty don't catch that! I don't know what they'd do. Of, His Majesty is spread out across the office floor, snoozing and snoring. There's no telling where Her Royal Highness is at the moment. But, given time, she'll be in here, telling me her opinion about something...lol!

Linda, you've got to go back? OUCH!!! I'm the guy who they have to gas just to clean my teeth. Yep, I'm a biter, and there've been a couple of dentists who didn't believe me at first, but they do now...

The above picture of a lasagna was something I found on photobucket. I haven't actually made mine yet, just the sauce. And let me tell you, instead of visions of sugarplums going through my head tonight, it's going to be visions of spaghetti, canolli, stuffed shells, lasagna, you name it! I've already warned Joe that, if I get up early tomorrow morning, there just might be lasagna for breakfast, fresh from the oven! Ya think I should go ahead and put the wine in the fridge now, just in case???

G'nite all!
    -Dan

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Good morning serial posters!
    Lasagna? That sounds fantastic and I think it sounds like a great breakfast. I could use some right about now.I've been at the hospital all night with Allie. Poor baby has Strep and got dehydrated.

Here's a picture of us at Cumberland Falls, which is a short hop from her home.
    I know. Her eyes are closed and I am barely there, but that is pretty much how we roll all of the time, lol.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Meowr! Alana, Allie looks like she just created that waterfall behind her - too kewl! Good picture! Tell her Bump and I send her lots of purrs and belly scritches, will you!

Dad is in the kitchen, singing (offkey - OUCH!) along with the radio while he makes something called lasagna. Bump says the sauce will taster really good! (Bump LOVES sauce!) So, since Dad's busy, I thought I'd help out and make a list of who has sent in a plant list, and who has sent in their address information. Remember, it ALL has to be here by 8pm on July 8th so we have time to put all the boxes in a list for you all to choose from, and figure out the order you're going to do your choosing, for this all going to work. Here's your list...

Shirley.....have list, have address
    Holly.....have list, have address
    Darrin.....have list, have address
    Alana.....have list, have address
    Melissa.....have list, have address
    Linda.....have list, have address

Margo.....have list, need address info
    Sue.....have list, need address info

Laura.....need list of 5 plants, have address

Suzanne.....need definite list of plants(not maybes), have address

Everyone Else.....need definite list of at least 5 plants you'll be sending AND need name and address information

On July 8th, sometime after 8pm, Dad will be making a list of boxes for you all to choose from. Each box will have at least 5 perennials. On the morning of the 9th, Dad will post this list, and the order in which you all get to choose your boxes. As he's said before, the order will depend solely upon the number of postings you've made for this swap (you all certainly talk about a lot of things, meow!). Once you've all chosen which box of plants you'd like to receive, Dad will e-mail all of you with the mailing information so you can promptly send your box out.

Have a good weekend! I'm going to go check on Dad's progress and see if he's opened up the wine yet!
    -Stella

• smitties
    12 years ago

HI Stella, my kitties Peanut, Joey, Miss Kitty, Webber, and Bump give you a big Meow and are fighting to get a glimpse of your great shot. They won't be posting cause there is no way I allow them to use my computer. You're a lucky critter.

Tell Dan we are looking forward to hearing how that lasagna he has been making all us of ruin our computer keyboard drooling with turns out.

I will also be sending him my address.

It is actually chilly here this morning. It's great. I love that the air is off and I needed extra blankets last night.

I am heading to work and then to a Toledo Mud Hens game tonight so if I get home too late I am getting up early tomorrow to catch up on the posts here. It is quite an active place.

Good day to all, Margo

• auntyara
    12 years ago

Ok I got my list in, sooo hard to make decisions! LOL That's why I'm constantly rearranging my gardens. One day I plant like crazy.. next year I'm ripping it all out. :(
    Alana- such a cute little one!!! I miss my kids being little.
    Suzanne-yep I've got lots of room for all kinds of things and I'm compulsively making more plants every year.

:) Laura

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I made my own lasagna noodles and had some extra dough, so here's a shot of what the pasta rolls I made with it...

And here's that lasagna I made today...

the spinach made it healthier, and the bacon gave it a little of a smoky aftertaste. I'm rather proud of myself!
    I'm going to freeze half of it so we can get a couple of meals out of it later, and the other half will probably be gone after breakfast in the morning. Aaaaaah, life is good!

• wispfox
    12 years ago

Shirley: It's a smoke tree/bush! I only know because there was lots of research. :)

Dan: I did. Sorry to your kitties! But the (very friendly, mind you) cat _did_ hunt and kill one of the baby bunnies we'd been watching. Not really a fan. I know, it's what cats do! This would be part of why NSPy is an indoor cat (the other part being because he has FIV).

poisondartfrog: Oh, no! Strep is the worst. I had my tonsils taken out when I was a kid because of too many bouts of it. Mostly, I just remember the sherbert that I got to eat after.

Stella: I promise I'll have a definitive list after tomorrow! Tomorrow's company will help with identification and with determining what makes sense to send.

Laura: Well, I'm very impressed. :) So many plants! It certainly helps to have lots of spaces to fill in, for sure!

It's been very wet here of late! It's making it difficult to keep my compost bin from smelling foul for reasons of anaerobic bacteria. On the plus side, most of the plants like it! Except the peppers and tomatoes, the first because it wants to be a little less wet, and the second because it wants sun!

Just planted some cucumber seeds and some pea seeds. I suspect that the peas may be too late in the season, but figured it couldn't hurt to try. Especially with the recent weather!

It's very funny: if I've been weeding, and go to rinse my hands in the pond before I go in and wash them, the fish come over to investigate. I can typically almost touch them, and sometimes they either brush against me or try to see if I'm food. Of course, the fact that I tend to feed them after probably reinforces this behavior! I'm happy enough about it, so I'll keep it up. ;)

There's sparrows chasing each other in circles on the deck outside. No idea why! Perhaps there's bugs they are fighting over? Makes me think perhaps I should put a feeder there, though, if they'll come where I can see them from the third floor!

Ok, enough for now.

Ta!

Suzanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Purple Smoke Tree

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

It's a beautiful day here. I just took time to look over the posts and I am very impressed with the cuttings farm! What a wealth of plant material.
    Dan, your lasagna looks fantastic!
    I am getting ready to go back to the hospital to stay a few hours with Allie. Her mom is 7 months pregnant and I think she needs a break. With luck she will get to go home tomorrow and life can get back to the normal amount of chaos.
    Enjoy what's left of the weekend,
    Alana

12 years ago

We just survived the birthday party of my 15 year old daughter. It was all a surprise. Well, she knew the party was going to happen, but she didn't know what we were planning.
    1. Charades-top 10 movies and pop songs
    2. We divided into teams and made tiny catapults from skewer sticks, masking tape, plastic cups and rubber bands. Very fun.
    3. Scavenger Hunt. Divided into 2 teams and each team had an adult driver. The driver can't break any laws. The team has to tell them where to drive-go straight, turn left at the corner, etc. They had 7 places to go and find their own color flag which we hid earlier today. They whole group had to stay together. There were 7 clues to read to find the flag. It was so much fun and my goodness they are competitive! We made good memories they will remember for a long, long time. They had to go to 5 parks, a community center and the boarded-up old middle school. Now we're eating grilled hotdogs, chips and birthday cake (and bottled water that's COLD 'cause we're HOT.)
    Heidi

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Suzanne, don't worry. I've been known to call my kids a few colorful names occasionally. When Stella wakes me up early in the morning, usually about 1-2 hours before I need to wake up for work, she has a name which is NOT Her Royal Highness...lol!
    That's just sad that NSPy has FIV! My cat Jason had FIV and FLV, which I didn't know about until the day I had to have him put down. Then it was an intense 3 months before I could get Bump tested. Luckily he tested negative, which allowed me to bring Stella home from the shelter. I sometimes visit Jason still. He's out in the family pet cemetary on my parents' place, right next to the family dog. You definitely have my sympathies!

Alana, thank you for the compliment! I had a lot of fun today making the 'sagna. After I put it all together I mixed the meat, sauce, and ricotta which was left over and froze it. There's enough there for two more meals, maybe three. I also was able to put enough of the lasagna for two more meals in the freezer. And I still have enough left over for breakfast in the morning, imagine that! Too me, that's a job well done!

Heidi, it sounds like you've had a long but fun day! I'd pour you some of this wine to enjoy, but the bottle neck just isn't long enough.

I've received some e-mails with some much needed info in them, which is great to see! Margo, if you've sent your address this afternoon, try again. I haven't received it yet.

And with that, I think I'm going to call it a day. I need to do some farming on farmville still, and then we've got a movie night planned starting with Battlefield: Los Angeles. You all take care, and I'll be back tomorrow. I may check back on things before going to sleep tonight since we're starting to approach the end of this thread, and I'll need to start another one soon.

Good Nite!
    -Dan

• smitties
    12 years ago

Dan, just sent the email with my address. Sorry about that. Totally forgot to do it earlier.

Went to see a Toledo Mud Hens game tonight and while driving down I75 home, nearly had a run in with a deer. I have never had such a close call and I am still shaking. Came home to find several deer in the field next to us. I have seen prints but never the deer. Now I am afraid they will find my gardens and devour all my hard work. I have heard many horrible garden stories from friends about deer damage. Our cats take care of keeping the bunnies out but despite our big black cat watching those big deer this evening, I highly doubt he can take one down.

Having a glass of wine hoping it leads me to a good nights sleep which has not been happening lately despite the melatonin.

Good night all, Margo

• cryptid
    12 years ago

06-24-2011

Boy howdy but I'm tired. Busy day, and tomorrow will be even busier, much earlier, with the Rooster Crow. Personally, and the way Elly thinks as well, if we actually had our `druthers we would only go over there for about 45 minutes to an hour, long enough to stroll through the vendor booths then split, basically. Can't do that, though, because Elly's elder sister, Sharla, for decades now, has entered roosters into competition and this year is no different. Whether or not she actually wins the crowing contest, with all the fancy crochet work she always applies to her rooster's cage (anymore, looking like a great poly-chromatic pinata,...or else a crazed, psychedelic Muppet), she *usually* wins for best decorated cage, for which she receives a fairly kewl trophy and a smallish cash prize ($15.00). Thing is, though, Sharla needs Elly and I to assist in transporting the various cage components, etc., and to help reassemble them. Y'know, those vendor booths better have some good stuff! Oh yeah,...and there's a (-yawn-) parade. - Should mention too, I guess, a few years ago Sharla and a bird called "Just A Rooster" won the crow two years in a row (`93 & `94) with 96 & 68 crows, respectively.

=====
    06-25-2011

Okay,...we're back home from the Crow,...finally! LOL! Once again Sharla deservedly won for best cage, while her rooster, "Hot Wings", alas, apparently was in such groupie-like awe of all the other roosters he failed to utter even so much as a cluck. No harm, no fowl, though,...while tiring and sometimes tedious, we made it through and actually had some fun as well. Best thing was it wasn't as hot-n-humid as it's been in the past (one year, not all that long ago, it hit 113-deg). Elly and I snagged some kewl pewter pendants, a Missouri Sassafras wooden whistle, and we got our son, Roy, a collection of kewl souvenir goodies as well. Sitting beneath a bird infested Redwood, I kept my hat on at all times during the actual half-hour crowing contest (2:30 pm to 3:00 -). The kewlest, best thing of all, though, actually, was our heading back home, so far as Elly & I were concerned. Bottom line: Fortunately, a good time was had by all, although with our autistic son, things could have easily skewed considerably less positive. Fortunately it didn't. - G'night all! Pleasant dreams! :)

• cryptid
    12 years ago

I'll post Rooster Crow pictures tomorrow!

• lovesherflowers
    12 years ago

Wow! I sure missed a lot. We adopted a little kitten and we are trying to teach her that at her size she should not climb into the Macaw cage (the bird is 10 times her size lol).

Dan- That lasagna looked amazing! I love making lasagna and I can never make only one tray...I think my brothers smell it on the other side of the city when I make it lol.

Cryptid- I can't wait to see the pictures from Rooster Crow, It sounds like a lot of fun!

I also had a cat with FLV, we never even heard of it until we took him in to the vet because he wasn't his happy go lucky self one day. Dan your right, waiting to test the other cats in the house was the longest wait period we ever had, out of the 4 cats, 2 were positive and we miss them everyday since they passed.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Margo, the only thing I've ever found to work for keeping deer out of my garden was when I mixed a full, quart-sized bottle of insecticide with two cups of chili powder. The deer had been eating my morning glories and cosmos every night, so I mixed that up and doused my small flower garden with it. The next morning I only had one blossom missing, but there were a bunch of deer prints, so I knew they'd been there. I didn't have any deer in my garden the rest of that summer, or the next one. I think they spread the word that there were tastier gardens elsewhere, and no belly aches...lol! If I could've legally done it, I'd have shot the whole mess of them. When it rained, the mix got knocked down to the ground, but the chili powder smell stayed, which probably helped a lot!

And now it's time to to get into the garden. There are peas to pick, coneflowers to transplant, and herbs to plant in an herb garden.

Have a great day everyone!
    -Dan

• lovesherflowers
    12 years ago

SO, today I have all the fun.... I am going to my Aunt's house to help thin out her flower gardens that have not been thinned in 15 years. So this evening I will have hostas, 4ft tall daylilies, Sweet pea vine, and Irises to transplant into my garden :D I remember as a kid thinking her flower gardens were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and wishing I could move them all to my house, so it's nice to be able to bring some home with me. Have a great day everyone!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, today I knocked two things off of my to-do list for the garden! All of my coneflowers are where they need to be, even the ones that came out of the greenhouse, AND I've got my herb garden planted! (wiping sweat from brow) My next garden project is to put a level floor in the greenhouse, and I'll be doing that in a couple of weeks when I have a 2-day weekend again.
    The greenhouse is one of the 5'x5' models, so I'm going to dig a little into the ground, pour sand, and then lay down some of the 12"x12" cement stones. I'm not going to put any grout in between them, but will instead fill the cracks with more sand. Then my shelves and table will be level, and not sinking into the dirt. I was putting some clay pots in the greenhouse today and saw that I have a bunch of mint, phlox, and even some painted daisies growing out of the dirt! Surprise!!! I'll be putting some of the phlox and all of the painted daisies into my Perennial Mound before construction begins!
    Here's a pic of the first coneflowers of my growing season...

And here's a picture of part of the Perennial Mound...

Don't you just love gardening?
    See ya!
    -Dan

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Okay, here are the city of Rogue River "National Rooster Crow" contest pictures I promised:

Sign at the end of the parking lot, taken from the rear of our car, where we were parked facing the street so we could watch the parade in comfort. Lucky we got there early enough to claim the space (smack next to Elly's mom and sister).

Here's a shot of the crowd surrounding the roosters (on planks, on saw horses). In years past there would be 2 or 3 times this many people. There weren't as many booths this year, either, even compared to last year, and no booth at all selling mostly toys. Wound up getting our son, Roy, a pewter dragon pendant and a black-furred, tanned, actual "coyote face" (kinda like a raccoon tail,...only not)

Cute, huh? I thought so, too. Mini horse, mini cart, mini passengers. Rooster Crow parade.

"The cage!" Yup, this be the critter. Waddaya'll think?! I mean this is a rooster-thing made up, partially, of other small roosters! You can see "Hot Wings" in there, too (ought to rename that bird "Silent Sam").

Elly's sister, Sharla, with her winning psychedelic-rooster-muppet-thing cage and the trophy she received. Actually, last year's cage was similar, but even wilder/weirder, if you can imagine. :) - My wife, Elly, made the plastic canvas Foghorn Leghorn pin Sharla's wearing. In fact, Elly made Foghorn pins for all of us, in varying color combinations,...all back in 1995.

• celeegra
    12 years ago

That is too cool! Funny, we went to our cousin's engagement party yesterday. Mr Bojangles the cat hosted, & we all brought our dogs excep 12 year old Ruthie brought her 2 month old chickens! One of the dogs kept chasing the hen around until she got stuck in a briar patch. Meanwhile our dear pacifist Olive was trying to help me intervene so the hen Lucy wouldn't become dinner for Tonka. Needless to say, Ruthie's father was not pleased with this fiasco & i think this is helping him solidify his plans to donate the chickens to a local educational farm. Too bad we can't take her. it seemed like Olive & Lucy could become fast friends. And i always appreciate a good fresh egg in the morning. ;)
    Suzanne, i *love* smoke trees & hope to have one in my garden somday.
    Dan, lasagna looks amazing. what time should we come over with the cocktails? I just got a mean recipe for lvender lemonade that i've been meaning to try.
    grace

• smitties
    12 years ago

Dan, no deer damage so they must have moved on. Thanks goodness cause I just couldn't deal with that.

Cryptid, great photos and that was one colorful cage to say the least. Did sound like you all had fun.

Mowed the lawn today, well some of it. I was out there for about three hours. I don't know how my husband does it, manuevering around all the trees and bushes is an art for sure. I was going nuts. I was stirring up bugs so the swallows were darting all around me enjoying the buffet I was serving.

I want to get a picture of my coneflower garden to share with all of you. I don't have much technical skill so will have my daughter help me. I think I will wait til I weed it and my coconut lime blooms.

Have a good Monday everyone. Margo

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Grace,...girl, seems like you had almost too dang much fun, there! :D Interesting you should mention Ruthie's 2 one month old chickens, because Sharla also has a pair of one month olds,...both big, bad rooster wannabes. One's an Ameraucana, the other a Buff Orpington. She keeps them indoors, at this point, caged-up in the livingroom. She also let's them out, periodically, and it's really funny when she does! First thing they do is get all aggressive with each other, jumping on each other, trilling angrily,...then they scoot on over beneath the parakeet cage and chow down on seeds that have been kicked out onto the carpet,...then they run around a bit, attacking each other every so often, till Sharla scoops `em up and plonks `em back into confinement. What really makes me chuckle, though, is the fact that as much as they seem antagonistic towards one another, flock oriented critters that they are, they also need to be with each other. :)

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Margo,...yeah, Elly's sis is totally into polychromatics. Not all that long ago she was, like, totally into the most brightly colored britches I've ever seen on anyone, ever! Elly and I think it's great, particularly since she's a crocheting/tatting fool (as it were)! :) Every year, at our Josephine County Fair (mid-August), Sharla unfailingly wins multiple ribbons and cash prizes for her prolifically produced crochet/tatted projects. My wonderful wife, Elly, OTOH, is basically a newbie,...although she's won a few prizes on her own, even beating out Sharla in one instance. Proud of my family, proud of my wifey I am! :)

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

The Rooster Crow looks like lot's of fun! I have 4 roosters and I would not object at all if they decided not to crow, but I guess they would have to retire as competitors if they were aspiring Crow Kings. Hot Wings is a beautiful animal.
    Have a good week, everyone.
    Alana

• sjc48
    12 years ago

WOW!! seems like I have some catching up to do!
    Alana-Allie is a darling little girl-is she out of the hospital yet? (loved the waterfalls too!)
    Suzanne-I LOVE peas-can't seem to grow them tho! I don't think they are a good container plant, which is the only way I've ever tried to grow them!
    Heidi-that party sounded just great!
    Margo-I've never seen a dead deer on I75-probably because I avoid that road whenever I can!
    Lovesherflowers-What did the Macaw do?
    Cryptid-loved the pics-especially the mini pony!
    Dan-I try to grow a new kind of coneflower each year-last year's WSed yellows are getting ready to bloom-did double deckers, and whites this year-the whites didn't make it.
    Grace-Too funny about your cousin's engagement party-at least I think it was supposed to be funny-maybe not!
    Hey, I'll be back later-gotta go weed out front (YUCK) but at least it's a cool day for it.
    Shirley!

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

Spent the weekend over in Altoona visiting my family..what fun!! I sure have missed them!

Glad to see everyone is doing well! "making some lemonade and passing around lemon cookies"

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Dan~ I'm going to have to drop out this month. :( We've had near 100 temps for a few weeks now, and this week is going to be over 100, so there is no way I can send or receive plants right now.
    y'all have fun! Hopefully I can play later, after the weather cools down.

• wispfox
    12 years ago

So. Warm. My office is in the attic, and I don't yet have a shade to keep the sun and warm out from the sliding door. Warm!

Cleared the area around the stones by our pond for easier access to the bench back there. Silly enthusiastic plants!

Sent Dan a list of definite plants. Some of the uncertain ones will have to wait for fall!

Dan's photos of coneflowers made me say "oh! Is that what that is? I think we have some. :)" Funny finding out what I have!

celeegra: Yeah, I've been quite delighted by the various things in this yard! And also dismayed, sometimes, but you take what you get! (Bishop's weed, not so good)

Dan: We knew NSPy had FIV when we got him. Figured it was worth it, as he is a delightful cat. Does mean no more cats until he's gone, though.

Sz

• celeegra
    12 years ago

Cryptid, that is too funny about the roosters! It's true of people too. Some people - can't live with em but it just feels like there's something missing if they're not there. Which reminds me, it's time for me to call my Harry Potter buddy for our annual catch-up.

btw, what does OTOH mean? I can never keep up with all these acronyms.

Bunny we'll miss you.

Dan I'm pulling my list together. Will let you know by end of the week. I'm hoping I'll be able to add one special little plant in the mix. Maybe I'll just make the list & add it as a bonus if it's ready. Oh, I'll have to try that soap/chili powder trick on the d@#& squirrels!
    Happy monday, y'all! grace

• wispfox
    12 years ago

sjc: I guess I will see if the container plant method works for me, then. That's what I'm trying to do. ;)

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Shirley, thanks for inquiring. Allie went home yesterday afternoon. Poor little mite is weak, but is returning to normal. Tomorrow I am going to spend some time with her.

Bunny, I am sorry you are dropping out. You keep things hopping!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

NO BUNNY????? AWWWWWW, SHUCKS! ***sigh*** (dang high temperatures anyway) We'll miss you Melissa!!!

We're getting awful close to the end of this thread, so I've started a new one. Here's the link...

I was having some trouble, so there are actually 2 threads. Don't use the 2nd Attempt, 2nd Try one. If you do, your posts won't count towards your totals.....

Yep, you've been warned...lol! I'll post some current totals in the next night or so. See you soon!!!

-Dan

/================================================\
    .THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED. USE THE NEW ONE PLEASE.
    \================================================/

Here is a link that might be useful: GO HERE

12 years ago

Grace: Now that sounds like an engagement party my extended family would love. They are all animal lovers-chickens, goats, sheep, horses, rabbits and they always have some kind of new exotic dog the rest of us can't remember the name of.
    I went to a party once where 1 lady brought her puppy in an infant carrier. She was on the edge of "loopy" or "cute". We didn't take a public vote. ha

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket flowers

• smitties
    12 years ago

Got the hubby home tonight and the first thing he did was start watering the bushes. Thank goodness. That is a job I find too overwhelming. It is so hot and dry, I am going to have to start regularly watering the flower gardens now.

Thanks for the drink Celeegra. I had a long day. Hubby and I took his brother home to Kalamazoo and stayed overnight. Found out there are tons of greenhouses there and some are retail but most are wholesale. Of course, I had to stop. One was having their famous "cart sale" and they have those two shelved carts and you can load all you can get on it for 45.oo. I would have done it if it weren't for the fact we had already bought 8 huge bags of peat moss at Walmart for 2.50 a bag. I saw a lady with 5 flats on the bottom of her cart and a huge selection of gallon plants on the top. I settled for 4 for 10.00 perennials of which a Pow wow echinacea was included. Too excited. I then stopped at another place and they had 1.79 quart size perennials. I bought 3. It's a sickness I tell ya, a sickness.

Margo