SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Just discovered newbie mistake- can I fix it?

bananastand
11 years ago

Three years ago I built my first raised bed with help from all the advice I got here. I dutifully bought and screwed together cedar boards, rounded up the ingredients for Mel's mix, and began to plant and enjoy my garden bed.

The bed has always been extremely quick draining and I was surprised at how quickly it would get dry even after long, soaking rains. I chalked it up to the fact that I plopped the bed on top of a pre-existing sand patch that the former homeowners had put down for a swingset.

Well today I figured it out. It is not the sand below the bed. It is my stupidity. I just finished building my second bed. While at the landscaping place, the guy told me "one thing with peat- make sure you wet it REALLY well before you mix it up with the other stuff." I thought about it and did not remember getting this advice or doing this step with the first beds. I asked the guy what can happen if you don't wet the peat before mixing. He told me, "oh, well if you mix it in dry, the particles of peat in there basically repel water, FOREVER."

Hmmmmm. My "quick draining" bed is starting to make a lot more sense now.

Here's my question: is this fixable? My bed has settled some, so there's room to amend. It's a 14' x 4' bed and I'd say there's like an inch or two of space to the top of the boards I could play with. Trouble is, that bed is for all my early crops. So it's full of lettuce, peas, radishes, swiss chard, kale, and spinach.

I had some leftover wetted peat from the project I just did with the new bed. I used some of that to top dress between the rows of little seedling plants. Do you think that will help? Essentially I feel like it's like I just put a little sponge down between all the rows, to hopefully help the mix retain more water. But I'm worried it will just be at the surface and not do any good.

Help or advice on how I might fix the situation would be appreciated! Feeling like a big dummy!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations