SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zadams20

Advice on terrarium lighting

zachman
14 years ago

Hello all!

I have had moderate success with terrariums for the the past six months, when I first got them for christmas. Until now I have had no artificial light source, but I know they need more light. (and I want to see things grow faster)! I recently purchased a 100 watt daylight CFL from home-depot because of some advice from a friend who has had great success with dart frogs and vivariums. The locations for the terrariums are very temporary as I only put them here because I had a good lamp that could test my new lights in this location.

I am looking for general advice on how to make these plants flourish instead of drop dead. The resurrection ferns have been slowly dying off, but once and a while they will open up when the humidity is particularly high. Even then only some ferns open... I know these are epiphytes but I don't have another solution for hanging them anywhere. The branch they are growing on was found on a sidewalk near my house, so these ferns have never been removed from their original rooting location.

Some mosses have stayed green, some have turned brownish. Should I give up on the browning ones? Are they dead or just unhappy?

Now that I have a light, condensation seems to leave much faster and the humidity falls faster as well, so i have started misting more, around once a day... Just trying to keep the mosses moist enough.

Should I allow any standing water at the bottom to regulate humidity?

Without lights it is usually around 80-90% but it has been around 50-80 since I got the light.

Any advice is welcome.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996