SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sahoyaref

I'm getting a new tank!

sahoyaref
19 years ago

Finally made up my mind to sell the old one. I've just been so disatisfied with it lately, and I know that the long skinny shape is a big part of my disatisfaction. I really want more space for epiphytes, and I want a better waterfeature, so that I can get some Fire-Belley Toads! So I've decided that once I sell my old tank (with stand and maybe light hood, but not plants or anything like that), I'll get my DH to build me a corner Delta tank. It'll be 40" tall (4" allowed for a false bottom), 28" for the back two walls, 12" for the little side pieces, and 23" for the front, which will be a sliding front door so that I don't have to open the hood every time I want to do something in the tank! I found that that was a real deterrent to me. The hassle of having to lift the lid, move the lights without catching them on the fan cords, etc. caused me to not want to do regular maintenence as often as i should, and if I want to keep frogs, I'll have to open it every day to feed them, so I'll want the easy access! The shape from the top view will be like a typical diamond. You know, the gemstone, not the geometric shape. Like a cube with one of the corners cut off. It will be about 112 gallons (if I figured that out right), which is actually bigger than my current tank, but it will take up less space, being vertically oriented, and tucked nicely in a corner. Another catalyst for this sudden decision was that my husband is upgrading his 54 gal reef tank to a 120 gal, which will take up a LOT more space in our little apartment, and I don't want two big rectangles in the same room.

I plan on making it into a sort of paludarium, but I'm still doing a false bottom, because I want to be able to easily convert it into a PDF tank someday (by just filling in the water part with substrate), and it will also help the land part from becoming too soggy. The water part won't be that big, since FBTs aren't really aquatic, and not very deep, either. I'm also thinking that I will make a large fake tree to sit left of centre, with it's roots going down into the water. I'll attach a bunch of epiphytes to it, and it will be good practice for the monster tank I want to build someday. =) I'll probably light it with High-Output T5s, which DH says are better than compacts, and he can get them for me cheaper than the average person (because he's an electrician). I'll need a lot of light, since it's so tall, so it will also be an experiment in growing plants farther than 2 feet away from fluo's. =)

So, if anyone has any neat ideas, or cautions about paludariums, or anything, feel free to tell me! =)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County