SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noobtoterraiums

General questions and terrarium help

18 years ago

Hello I am new and in the process of building a tank heres what I have so far a 20 gallon tank that is tall 2/3 of it are land and 1/3 of it is going to be watter. I have a divider that is plexiglass that I cut and siliconed in. The reason I did this rather than having the enitre bottom being water is I was afraid even with the screen divider for the substrate it would leak and clog my filter... anyways

I have 1 inch of pvc pipe for a false bottom and a plastic grid that sits on top and then fiberglass mesh screen liner. I plant on running 1/2 inch of rock on the 2/3 side and 1 inch of rock on the water side. I have a waterfall that was on from eco terra that stinks that I took apart and modified and I am going to be running a new canister filter that will go to the bottom layer to pick up the water and then pump it to the waterfall.

I go that great stuff foam expander and today I did the background, I got about 3 pieces of wood sticking out or it then im going to use my black silicon and use that cocco bedda beast stuff for the background. Oh by the way I plan on having this be a poision dart frog tank later one

my questions are I have an aquarium tank top with flourescent light. How much ventelattion is required in a terrarium? next question is I have 2 heating pads I plan on putting under the tank so it would heat an excess water and have it evaporte back up the main layer and also keep the tank at 80 degress... I imagine a tropical tank should be warm for tropical plants? now for the substrate I am going to use that cocco bedda beast stuff but I dont think it will grow anything theres no nutrients in it but it has good drainage properties and doesnt rot so I was going to mix it with eco-complete is this a good idea? and one last question where can I get exotic stuff for my tank like plants and fungi and flowers and mushrooms that have the roots that I can plant I checked everywhere and I cant find anyone even the nurserys that have mushrooms like shirobi or portobello

Thanks =)

Comments (7)