SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drummrgrl

newbie itching to garden!

drummrgrl
17 years ago

Hi All,

I am new home owner just itching to be a new gardener!!! Except for house plants, I have very little experience.

I live up in Cosby, Tn. And my property is mountainous. I have a east facing mountian (great sunrises) and a north facing mountian (maybe a mushroom farm, lol).

We just got the place and I'm just itching to get into it. I started our composting as soon as we moved in and just started some seeds a couple of weeks ago. (way too early but I couldn't help myself:)

So far I have just started a few plants of each of the following: variety pack of slicing toms (purple, red, orange, green, yellow), variety pack of cherry toms (sweet 100, orange, and yellow pear) the 6 levels of heat hot peppers, 5 shades of bell peppers, two salad blends, basil, cilantro, and mint!

I know that it sounds like alot but really only 3-4 of each to get started. Some will always be container plants (herbs, cherry toms, small pepper plants and lettuce) Has anyone tried to grow lettuce indoors???? I saw a flower pot at the grocery store with the spicy mesculin mix that gave me the idea. I have a long window box style already started. Not sure if it will produce enough lettuce for a salad but maybe for a sandwhich now and again.,lol.

My plan is to keep starting plants every few weeks and give the extra to some friends then swap the fruits and veggies when the plants produce. That way hopefully we'll get to try different types.

Does any one else have high iron??? You can see red stripes in our soil. Our well water is 7.5ppm if anyone is familar. I have yet to test the soil. Not sure how or if this will affect our plants. The flowering type seem to be doing well.

The last owner had planted LOTS of flowering plants: roses, crab apple trees, flowering pear (beuford I think), snow balls, and lots of others that I'm not sure cause they were already down for winter. While I appreciate the flowers (and will need some help with them) I really want to have edible plants (too practical for my own good).

Well I just wanted to say 'hi' and introduce myself. Glad to have found a regional forum to share and ask questions.

off to read . . . . .

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!