SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mickee311

Question about native soil under my compost....

mickee311
17 years ago

Okay. I finished my raised bed yesterday and put compost in. Not enough just yet, I didn't have that kind of space to get it all in. My beds are 9" high, it only made it up to about mid-way. Anyways, I put it on top of my native soil, which was hard as a rock. Light brown, cakey, like chunks of rocks, but that's just because we haven't had rain lately. My question is, since my native soil is so hard, with the compost on top of it, will it soften up for roots to go down into, since there is all the compost on top? I'm worried about this because I couldn't mix it all together, since I am too light and kind of a weakling, so I couldn't shovel up the native soil to get it loose and my mini tiller wouldn't work. I'm hesitant to put my plants out (I hope to get the rest of the compost today to fill it up) for fear the roots won't go through the cakey soil. Not to mention that since I couldn't shovel into the soil, I've got some of it up to almost 5 inches, give or take a couple, from the top of the beds. So, in some spots, it's a shallow layer of compost, some it's deeper. I am going to need to get a hand shovel to dig the holes quite deep to transplant my tomatoes out in the garden above their current root lines and some of my plants are kinda large, so they need a deep hole in that cakey stuff. This might not be making sense, I'm just anxious and rambling.

Comments (6)

Sponsored