SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dustin2100

My compost is high in P and K with a Mehlich 3 soil test.

dustin2100
6 years ago

Hi, this is my first post on this forum and it looks like a good amount of people are composting. I might be in the right place then!!! I started composting in 2016 but my plants were always showing signs of stress, so I started testing my soil. All of the numbers looked great except for Phosphorus and Potassium, they were sky high. I mean like 10x the amount.

Here is what I was using for compost: Rabbit bedding, oak leaves, grass clippings, rock dust, egg shells, kelp, and fish meal... I started to read about leaf compost more specifically and I now understand that leaves can be used for trace elements and it is high in P and K. I also read that rabbit manure has 2x the amount of P and K compared to other manures like horse, cow, and chicken. Maybe, I am getting more P and K from the leaves and manure than I realized? I am starting to think that I don't need to add dry amendments to my compost.

I guess that I am here to confirm that rabbit manure and leaf compost will test high for P and K. More importantly, how can I make this compost usable, because I have a nice system going. I made a worm bin out of plastic pallets and I put a screen between each stall so that I can have a side-migrating bin.

I also have a 8'x8' concrete slab that I use for composting. I got a Geo Bin to collect grass clippings while the compost on the slab finishes. Here is some steamy grass clippings, I just turned the pile and I could feel the heat... Here is the big question though, why is it bare next to my compost? I thought that I was going to have to fight to keep vegetation away...

In the summer, I get both composting worms and black soldier fly larvae. The BSF ravage the compost!

Comments (43)