SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moselle_gw

Can organic (compost & compost tea) really change my soil?

moselle
17 years ago

Hi,

in the garden of our house we have a very special soil: very fine silt that has been brought up to the top from deeper layers while digging the hole for our house.

Rainwater easiy builts little "rivers" eroding our backyard. A guy from the construction company explained me that the grains of that sand are so small that their is no more air between them and therefore water has a hard time to get into the soil. However I managed to get a lawn growing - so far using standard fertilizer. The lawn is now one year old and I keep it to 6,7cm height, using mulching mode on my mower. However, after three days of rain, the whole yard is soggy and flabby to walk on so you leave deep footprints on it. The best cure would probably be to peel of 30cm- 50cm to find the natural topsoil but that´s over my budget.

Now I read a lot about the organic way of gardening and I´d like to apply it. In my garage a bigbag of Alfalfa pellets is waiting to get spread and I ordered 8 tons of compost from a compost factory that will deliver next Monday.

Worms are there, I can see the little heaps they produce allover.

My plan:

- Progressively cut my lawn short - let´s say to 3cm

- Spread 10 Liters of compost per square meter onto the lawn which makes a 1cm cover. At the same time fill some holes (footprints from walking in the soggy lawn).

- Re-seed as my lawn has empty spots from water washing out the young plants last fall/winter.

- Kick 5kg of Alfalfa pellets per 100 square-meters out there

- a couple of weeks later: start to regulary water the lawn with compost tea.

Questions:

Does my promgram sound ok? Is it a big disadvantage that I already have the lawn and cannot work the compost INTO the sand?

Does appying the compost once and regulary compost tea makes the impermeable, compacted silt become a higher quality soil (saw a picture on captaincomposts no-till-page that was quite impressive changing clay to perfect soil in only 6 month). How often water with compost tea ?

Cheers from France,

Dirk

Comments (18)