SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmaellis

Square Foot Gardening - With a twist

jmaellis
17 years ago

Hello all. I started a very small garden last year and enjoyed it so much that I decided to do it again, but with a little more volume this time. I'd like to share what I have done thus far and get some feedback/thoughts/comments.

I like the idea of using containers for gardening. I decided to elevate the "raised beds" about two feet off of the ground to make it easier to work with. Last year I constructed a 2'X6'X18" elevated bed using 4X4 redwood posts for the legs and cedar fence boards for the sides and floor. I made my own trellis using cedar. Last year I grew a cucumber plant, 2 bell peppers and 3 Anaheim Chile plants. I used regular potting soil and fertilizer. All in all I thought I did pretty well for a newbie.

This year I want to try the square foot method, hereÂs how I intend to go about it.

Instead of cedar IÂm using redwood, but only because the redwood fencing (untreated) was on sale.

HereÂs the materials list (per bed):

1 Â 2ÂX4ÂX8Â rough cut redwood board

6 Â 5/8"X8"X6Â redwood fence boards

2 Â 1"X2"X8Â trim material (I donÂt know what kind of wood this is, probably fir)

Lots of 2" and some 1" 18 gauge brads, or wood screws

Staples

Landscaping fabric

Equipment:

Circular saw or chop saw

Air compressor and finishing nail gun or a drill if using screws

Jigsaw

Staple gun

I cut the redwood board into four equal 2Â lengths.

Next I cut 4 of the 6 redwood fence boards into equal 2Â lengths.

I created the ends of the bed first, connecting the 2Â pieces of redwood fence boards to the 2Â pieces of redwood boards using 2" brads; next I connected the two remaining 6Â redwood fence boards, also using 2" brads.

I had to create a ledge on the inside of the frame for the floor to sit on. Using 1" brads I connected the trim material to create a lip that the edge of the boards will sit on.

I used a jigsaw to trip away the corners of the end pieces so that they would fit around the legs.

I then stapled landscaping fabric onto the inside of the bed.

The beds will hold just under 6 cu. ft. of bedding. I didnÂt follow MelÂs Mix to the letter, this is what I did:

1 cu ft of Paydirt

1 cu ft of steer manure

1 cu ft potting soil

2 cu ft Mix and Mulch

As the bedding settles IÂll add more of the Paydirt.

The Paydirt, potting soil and Mix and Mulch all contain peat moss. The Paydirt and Mix and Mulch have a variety of composts and the steer manure adds to what is already there. It doesnÂt get too hot here (Central Coast of California) so IÂm hopeful that the potting soil will suffice (it contains Vermiculite and Perlite). If it looks like the bedding is drying out too fast, I will add additional Vermiculite (that stuff is expensive).

The total cost of one bed was $43.

Go here to see some pictures of my project.

ellis3.spaces.live.com

Oh, by the way, please excuse the condition of the backyard. We are in the process of killing everything off. Redoing the yard is the next project.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!