SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristal_gw

I am ambitious, What are your opinions??

kristal
18 years ago

I have spent the winter studying lasagna gardening, intensive gardening, companion planting,winter sowing, indoor seed starting and organic methods of pest control.

Here's my plan.

The area we gardened in last year had not been worked as a garden before, and was horrible. We didn't get a chance to do any work on it last fall, so we'll go about things a little different.

1-I'll let dh till the existing soil just to let him use a big tool, and then lay down cardboard in the square foot areas. I may put down some organic material, peat moss and half-composted chopped leaves first. Then we'll get some good compost from the neighbor for free, and pile it up to 12' on each area. No boards to hold it all in place, but we'll see if that changes...

2-The Beds

-one 4x8 raised bed for corn only. May possibly incorporate the three sisters - squash and beans, or maybe just beans for their ability to lock in nitrogen. May use sunflowers at the corners for the fun of it.

-one 4x4 bed for melons and squash, two 4x8 feet tall trellises and let the pumpkins sprawl

-one 4x4 bed for trellised gourds, sunflowers, cucumbers, kohlrabi

-to all of these beds I may add some nasturtiums, marigolds, any beneficial flowers to add interest and help crowd out the weeds.

-I have one 8x8 bed near the house for the peas on chicken wire,then beans, staked tomatoes, carrots, herbs, radishes, and many companion flowers that I've winter-sown. This is the garden I want the kids to pick and eat from and help plant the flowers and enjoy as thiers.

3-I'll be winter sowing or starting indoors all that I can to help them along and black plastic as mulch in all gardens to help heat up and extend the short growing season.

My only quam is with my dh. He's not too crazy about building things since it is just a borrowed piece of land from the neighbor's farm. I say I should do what I want, but once he sees how difficult it is to keep raised beds neat without boards, we'll be off to Home Depot!! He tries to be helpful, but he is stuck in the stone-aged way of gardening in long straight rows and wasting the space in between them. I'm looking forward to getting the most out of it with the least amount of work. Hopefully, when I can get my hands on that book, he'll do some learning and give in to my way, and we'll have a successful family project.

Comments (5)

Sponsored