SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbmoore_gw

Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap...February check in

lbmoore
19 years ago

I recvd a package from my secret pal today! YEAH YEAH :0) I wasn't worried though.

She/He sent me a pretty windchime, and two packs of flower seeds that I have never tried before. Cant wait to plant, will more than likely plant at my new home after we move....Yippy!

Thanks Secret Pal, youre GREAT.

Lisa Moore

Comments (100)

• Eliz33
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Darlene sounds like a very special story to me. I am married 4 1/2 years and boy is it work. We married after dating for 6 months and he is 9 years younger. It has been very interesting. Have a great day everyone!

• cassiet
    19 years ago

veeja11,
    I think this might be from your Valentine Pal

Cassie

• Related Discussions

Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap...January check in

Q

Comments (77)
    Still haven't checked my email but will be checking in the next day or so. I'll reply to all emails then but since I will probably have hundreds (lol!) it may take some time to get through them all. Please be patient with me just alittle longer. I'll be sending emails to the Secret Pals who haven't sent anything. If anyone wants to sign up as a second SP (& you haven't already sent me an email) let me know. I may start a new thread with this same information but as of January 31st, here's my list of not received/received: Not Received for January 2005: Judgemarykali Kathy547 Suzydaze (didn't post rec'd/Dec) Diene (second month/nothing) Eliz33 Norma_az (didn't post rec'd/Dec) lbmoore SandysGardens CompostChick Abitodd (second month/nothing) WindsurfGirl(2nd month/nothing) KnoxvilleGirl(2nd month/nothing) Tropicalfreak Cassiet (2nd month/nothing/SP says sent, maybe wrong address?) Received for January 2005: Soaprah Ggwrn Theresan Kimskreations Everafter Sunshine123 BecksterCA Nitenut Gulliblevolunter Veeja11 Booster1 Darlene 87 GardenHits DaWiff PlantladyJan Gardnwatch Rudybacon MudPlayingFamilysMom Leann2800 If I have missed someone, or gotten you in the wrong list, please let me know!
    ...See More

UPDATE: Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap...April check-in

Q

Comments (53)
    I received a lovely package from my pal. Pal I loved the little coca cola plaque and the seeds. I so enjoy coca cola items and grin with each thing that someone finds. To answer your question. Coke items are always cool. SMILE... so are Tweety items. I collect these so I find somewhere to put them. Thank you for the very sweet notes you always include in your items, they brighten my day and make me smile. Yes, I'm doing better now. Although our spirits are battered and bruised and our family a little smaller we are adjusting. Some days are hard and some are easier. Spring has let me and my daughter get out and do things. My mother is still having a very hard time with all the deaths and that is expected, she is very ill as well and has been hospitalized a couple of times .... when she is better and her health improves both mentally and physically we will be all much better..... don't think I can deal with ANOTHER loss.... 3 has been enough... it has been a rough few months.... Thank you pal very much for asking. Cassie
    ...See More

UPDATE: Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap....May check-in

Q

Comments (38)
    Hello, All!!! I hope none of you have sent me an email becauce I haven't been able to check my email (if I don't hurry up & get another computer of my own I'm going to scream!). The sister's boyfriend's computer had to be worked on due to the 500+ viruses he had (he blamed email but I told him downloading music could open up a computer for viruses too). Anyway, I'll check it soon, I promise! I received the following from my pal: A very pretty card with "Handmade" on back. SP, did you make it? There's a black & yellow bird on a tree or shrub & it has a red flower. It's very pretty, in fact, I'm putting it in a picture frame. Pal, if you made that yourself I am impressed! I also got a package of dianthus 'Arctic Fire' seeds, which were on my want list. A cute little ladybug magnet, an iris plant, & some floating candles. She also sent a battery-operated, handheld fan, which is most appreciated since it's been so hot here. I wasn't thrilled when it got tangled up in my hair, although it would have been hysterical if it would have happened to someone else (say, my husband or one of the kids!). I also got a box of 50 incense cones with a ceremic incense holder "to keep insects at bay" printed on the box. Again, most appreciated since this is the South & we're plagued by all sorts of insects (& the husband's chickens obviously aren't doing their job). Thank you so much secret pal! I loved everything! Here is who has NOT received for May: Theresan Veeja11 GardenHits Gardnwatch Rudybacon Gulliblevolunteer
    ...See More

NEW: New

Q

Comments (2)
    I am hosting a swap called Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap. I started it in December 2004 & it will run until December 2005. I have one person who would like to join but so far I don't have anyone to match her up with since everyone else already has a "pal". If you would like to join, I'll match you two up so you won't be secret unless I can get a couple of others involved. Here's a rundown on how the swap works - Each month you will mail something to your pal. This has to be AT LEAST a card or letter. You can also send plants, seeds, books, etc. Little trinkets, coffees, etc. Your pal will send you something each month. When you get your box/letter, post on that month's thread that you received from your pal. It's also nice to mention what all you get so that your pal has some idea if you liked it. I have a "sent" list & a "received" list that I check your name off of. If after 2 months you don't send your part without a good excuse (& I mean a good excuse!) I email you & politely take you out of the swap. If you see that you're going to be late that month, email me so I get a heads up. Please feel free to look on some of the previous months' threads to see what kind of swap we're having & to also get ideas of items that have been sent. If you decide to join, post on the May or June thread.
    ...See More
  • PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Just a qick note to say I just received my package. I wanted to let my pal know that I just got it today!! I noticed the post mark of 2/8. I haven't even opened it yet but I will soon!! Thanks so much I just knew you wouldn't forget me!!

• lbmoore
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I HAVE THE BEST SECRET PAL.........

In my package I recvd today there was all kinds of wonderful things that is just right for me, (the wood vase is very interesting) along with...........chocolate........ DOVES that is ........YUM YUM, they are my favorite! :~)

My box was decorated with Valentine cards also making my package even more fun!

Secret pal you made my day, I've been so upset and having a bad day the last couple of days.... the home we thought we had bought fell through, now we have to start the search all over again, :+( I HATE HOME SHOPPING, IT TOTALLY SUCKS! It's the only thing I know of that is so difficult to buy and takes patience, something I don't have a whole lot of and what I do have I save for my two sons!

• sunshine123
    19 years ago

i just wanted to tell my s/p i loved everything i will use everything thank you thank you i will plant the seeds and let you know if they make it and how they are doing

• leann2800
    19 years ago

Bump

• KnoxvilleGirl
    19 years ago

I swear I posted this before work one day (perhaps before coffee as well and that may be the problem) but scrolling back thru I realize it is not there - so here we go once more!

I GOT A NEW PAL AND SHE ROCKS - far makes up for the months of no pal stuff in the mail!! Here is what I recieved last week:

A bag of DOVE DARK CHOCOLATES and some hot choclates - the dark choclate is simply WONDERFUL (and gone) and the hot chocolates went to the lake with me this weekend. We rented a cabin for me & Chad, my brother & wife and Chad's mother came from Memphis. It was a cool place with a big deck to sit out and enjoy hot choclate and coffee each morning and evening. The Dove chocolates went with me, too!

A beutiful FABRIC JEWELRY CASE that is stunningly beutiful and very beutiful - did you make that? I have placed this on my dresser and will be moving some things into it soon. It will also be great to take traveling for my jewelry and hair things. Very nice - awesome dark burgandy colors and designs.

My favorite candy in the whole world is REESE'S PEANUT BUTTER CUPS!

A great stationary set/notepad in a cute matching box with a pencil to match.

HERB SEEDS for my favorite variety of BASIL (dark opal) and three varieties of dill. Thank you so much for these because I grow herbs each year & these are two kinds that I would definately have been purchasing for myself anyway. You are WONDERFUL!

TWO KITCHEN DISH TOWELS - my secret pal MUST have known that I have bought a home in a historic district and take great pride in any home stuffs because I love being here and improving here. These are in use as we speak!

I know there was more in this box - and I if I have failed to list an item it is because I quickly unwrapped and enjoyed each thing and so they are no longer all sitting together here on the table. Please know that it was greatly GREATLY appreciated and I have disagree with everyone on this board - MY NEW SECRET PAL is the best secret pal there is on this whole exchange. The best. Hands down.

Thanks so much for making me feel included and loved in this trade!!!

• cassiet
    19 years ago

I have not received a package from my pal for the month. I have received a valentine card.

Cassie

• theresan
    19 years ago

I didn't receive a Vday card but I did get a package from my WONDERFUL secret pal! The maillady delivered it while I was out sowing seeds so I took it as a sign to take a break. The rose scent was terrific when I opened the box! I got a wonderful hanging planter, rose sachets, rose bath fizzes, doilies, an adorable little angel, and yummy candy. Thank you so much secret pal!!

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Hi I wanted to share with all the special box I got from my special pal!! She sent the most beautiful card....handmade which makes it even more special. Yes my amargllis bloomed in time for Valentine's day!! Great timing!! I have so enjoyed it! Also I received a pretty planter with roses on it, a lovely scented candle (ooh I love my candles) a cute heart box filled with seeds, incense matches (how cool) and some lovely bath and shower gel. When I opened the box I could feel the sunshine and friendship come out!! I think I have the very bestest for my secret pal!!! I thank you so much for adding something special to my day!! I am sorry for my late posting.I hope you are well and also have the enjoyment of a very special secret pal!! Thanks again!! Take care!

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

I am so excited!!!! Today I received some luffa gourd & stevia seeds (on my wanted list) from my secret pal. I also received stripes & splashes mixed colors morning glory seeds. These are going to be planted at my butane tank with my big plastic flower windmills I got from Big Lots (my husband said they scream of white trash & wouldn't let me put them up in the front yard). I also got a large bar of Symphony chocolate candy (which is gone, thanks to the kids & husband). I also got a really nice card from my SP & a Burt's Bees gift bag with cremes, cleansers, soaps, lotions, & balms in it. Thank you SO much Secret Pal!!!!

• GardenHits
    19 years ago

FYI
    I have 2 secret pals. I have received a package from one (see above for the thank you) But nothing yet from the new one.

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Kathy, I'm excited that your package arrived, too, and excited to see you posting. The adult in me is just like your hubby & knows those pinwheels are tacky, the parts of me that view the world as a playground loves them. What could be more appropriate than a giant kids' toy to bring a smile to the giant kid's heart in us? When he says, "Tacky", you can say, "Whimsical, fanciful, playful".

Everybody else: We're down to the wire for this short month of Feb. & there are still a good 10 who haven't posted receiving. Tiny February seems like it just started, but March will be here in less than a week. If you haven't mailed it's time to get scurrying off to that post office. Someone special is waiting to hear from you! How can your pals join in the argument over who has the best pal if they don't hear from you?

• darlene87
    19 years ago

I have an interesting story why I did not post receiving my birthday gift box from my s. p. It came on Thurs. I think!, and today is Tue., when I post. I just got it today. We have a locked mailbox for our neighborhood, everyone has a mail slot, and then there is a locked box for packages. Every day we would get a key for the package box. None of the keys fit,everyday we always left a note in the mailbox regarding that. Then we had Sun., and Mon. a holiday. Finally today, we got the right key to open the box! Hubby was more agitated than I was, you would think it was his secret pal. In fact, he is enjoying this as much as I am. My first impression of my s. p. besides that she is very generous, and on time, is that she is the Queen of tissue paper, and owns stock in a company that makes tissue paper! Wads of it in every box! Lots of fun though. First, a lovely card, with a sweet note from her. Then, a hardback book, "From the Ground Up", which is a story of the garden...not how to grow things. Looks like it will be fun reading. Next, a page a day calender on Audubon Birds, which I will love. (only have 52 birdhouses outside now, got a few for my b.d.). Then a real cute flower pot with flowers & bees painted on it. Will use this week, as I am repotting inside plants. A nice canister of tea from England...drinking it now, and love it. Also a lovely coffee cup with flowers on it...that I will use and think of how sweet a lady she is as I drink from it. I save my "special" cups to bring fond memories of people. BTW, the amarylis that was sent at Christmas time, bloomed, and is still blooming, so pretty. I can't thank you enough for all the sweet lovely things. Just don't break the bank while sending things to me. I am not against used books, or used interesting items to transfer to garden projects, just no used tea! Thank you again secret pal, I think I have the best one there is, and may you enjoy the coming spring.
    Darlene

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

It's raining here & since my sister's boyfriend's computer is on satalite & not dail-up, I can't email anyone nor can I check my email. I really wish the library would allow email, I mean they're government funded so shouldn't they have some heavy-duty virus protection? And, I love the rain - just not 10 gallons all at one time!

Here's who hasn't received anything for February by my records:
    Soaprah
    Ggwrn
    Everafter
    GardenHits - has rec'd from one pal but not the 2nd pal
    Eliz33
    SandysGardens
    Gardnwatch
    Rudybacon
    WindsurfGirl
    KnoxvilleGirl
    Cassiet

I've got the emails already written out as to what I'm going to say just reminding the above people to post if they're received from their pal & have just forgotten to post. One of the above is my secret pal & I'm so sorry but I just today mailed it off to you (bad Kathy!!!). I really hope you like everything, it was really fun & exciting to go shopping.

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Darlene, WOW!! Your pal sent you that box as a SECOND one for the month because of your b'day. That is so thrilling! What a good pal. I hope your b'day was wonderful!

Kathy,
    Knoxvillegirl made a really nice post about how impressed she was by her new pal. Cassie got a card. I haven't noticed any posts from Judgemarykali or CompostChick, but they're not on your list.

• KnoxvilleGirl
    19 years ago

Kathy-
    I did recieve my box from my very generous pal - you can read the contents posted somewhere above.
    Thanks!
    Heather

• KnoxvilleGirl
    19 years ago

And i realized that my member page info for my secret pal was pitdated - it still mentioned that I had a dog, who has been put to sleep months ago now. I updated and thought I would just put a reminder on here that it is nice to update your likes for your pal who may be running out of ideas. Ahem. Like me. COuld everyone maybe add a few more details and/or wants and/or likes about yourself?

• sandysgardens
    19 years ago

My package is packed and will be in the mail to my pal in the morning (Thursday). I have been out on business travel so my apologizees to my pal for mailing so late in the month.

• KnoxvilleGirl
    19 years ago

I mailed my package to my pal a few days ago - should be recieved very soon... Hope there are no hard feelings. I figured as long as it was recieved IN February it would be a FEBRUARY secret pal gift, right? I will try to get on a better schedule...

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Knoxville, your right that just needs to get there during the right month. I think Kathy's just forewarning those she's sending notes to. They might not be the type (like some of us) who enjoy reading how much everyone else is enjoying their pal, and so might not even read the thread. Then again, some of those on her list may have already received but didn't post.

• kimskreations
    19 years ago

I'm getting ready to send out my March box today (It's been wrapped and ready to go for over a week *lol*). I will also be wrapping the April box at some point today. I'm always afraid of running late so I like to stay ahead of the game *lol*. Besides that, I NEVER know how long Parcel Post is going to take and my pal lives on the opposite side of the universe from me.

I need to take the time to update my page and list the plants that I already have but this is a whole day process which I have been putting off since I signed up. Maybe at some point today I will be able to do that (can you tell this is my day off and I'm going to do 100 things or more *lol*).

Kim

• kimskreations
    19 years ago

PHHHHHEWWWWW my fingers are numb *lol*
    Just updated my profile a little (much more to come but documented the IMPORTANT plants *lol*).
    What a chore that was. Now at least I will be able to add here and there instead of waiting and doing it all in one day.

Kim

• becksterca
    19 years ago

I received a nice letter from my Secret Pal yesterday.
    It's really fun getting to know my paleven though I can't answer back right now.
    Maybe after this is over we can be pen pals? My Secret Pal is a great letter writer!
    I could learn from herLOL!
    I want to thank you pal for making my day. Just knowing what you're up to is really interesting.

I must admit that I have a lot of outstanding "Spring" orders for flowers also.
    I have quite a few daylily's coming to make their home with me .in the spring.

I just got my portable greenhouse set up and tomorrow night I'm going to dump all my veggies packets on the table and start sorting them out. Hopefully by this time next week I'll have my seed trays in the GH.
    If you lived closer to meyou might be buying your veggies from my farm stand. My DS and I are planning to try our hand selling at the Farmers Market this year. We are increasing the garden/yard area by almost 5000 square feet. YIKES!!! That's a lot of garden!
    I'm planning to put in a cut flower garden as well as the veggies and herbs.
    It will be a busy spring and summer here in No. California!

Thanks for the letter SP and I hope you'll consider keeping up the correspondence once this is all over.

Becky

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Hummm I hope my secret pal posts soon!! The package should be in her hands! I sure hope so!! I'll keep a watch out!

• rudybacon
    19 years ago

Hi, just a quick note to say I received my goodies from my secret pal yesterday, Wednesday. I haven't opened it yet because I have been ill and in bed all week. I just wanted to tell her I received it and will post again (hopefully tomorrow) as soon as I feel up to it.

rudybacon

• KnoxvilleGirl
    19 years ago

*bump*

I was afraid this was gonna fall off the bottom, so I bumped it up to the top again!

• Eliz33
    19 years ago

I received my Secret Pal package today. Once again I have to say that my pal makes the most Beautiful cards I have ever seen. I go a great hand kit. Seeds nad some of the stuff that you put on the top of your planters to make them look pretty. I just love getting things in the mail. Thank you Secret Pal you always manage to brighten my day.

• rudybacon
    19 years ago

Today I felt well enough to open my secret pal stash. There is a calendar that features paintings of Shelly Reeves Smith. The pictures make me long for Spring. Also a scented sachet, Strawberry Fraise, a magnetic photo frame, a handmade card, and the cutest little stickers. I know just where to put the stickers, they will go nicely with a project I'm doing.

Thank you secret pal, it made my day to have a package waiting for me when I felt better.

Kathy

• ggwrn
    19 years ago

I'm afraid that my secret pal isn't going to send me anything for the rest of the year. Because she sent me enough this time to last for the whole year LOL! I received a fabulous box in the mail yesterday! I'm sure I'll miss something, but here are at least part of the contents: garden gloves, a knee pad to use while gardening (my poor sore knees thank you), an adorable hummingbird whirlygig decoration, a beautiful spring flag, a birdfeeder, a large photo album, a weather center, planting bags (I can't wait to see flowers hanging in these), and my very favorite: coasters that you put your own photos in. I have already printed out some of my bird photos the right size, I just have to put them in the coasters now. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will post one when they are finished.

Thank you Secret Pal!!!!

• KnoxvilleGirl
    19 years ago

wow! ggwrn - you racked UP on february loot!!
    I am going to send my pal an extra special march package because she may feel slighted after reading that you guys are getting ten pound packges full of joy!!

• Lynn
    19 years ago

Well, here we are again. The end of the month and no Feb. box for me..... :(

WindsurfGirl

• veeja11
    19 years ago

Bad sp, send to windsurf girl, we want to see her smile, are you out there just receiving ?Smile WSG it is her karma. we all love you. bad sp doggie is coming to get you

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

I think I've emailed everyone who hasn't posted receiving something for February & their pals with a reminder. Here's who hasn't received for February:
    WindsurfGirl
    Gardnwatch
    SandysGardens
    GardenHits - rec'd from one pal but also has another pal
    Everafter
    Soaprah

• sandysgardens
    19 years ago

Kathy,

Just read your Saturday's email to me, thank you. You were checking in to see if I have gotten anything from my original pal or my second pal. You said to email or post you back on the RR site. Thought I would post back here, on the RR site, since you don't always have ready access to email.

Answers to your questions -

Again not a single thing from my original pal. The only time I received from original pal was in December.

It's also news to me that I have a new pal, for there hasn't been a single thing from that pal either.

I have mailed out to my pal each month, and do believe they are nice monthly presents. I did send late this month (Feb), for I have been away from home for 3/4 of Feb on lots of business travel, but I did get it out. My pal should have her Feb box anytime now if not already!!

Some thoughts

I do understand that people get busy, sick, financial problems, life takes unexpected turns, etc. However, we all chose to do the secret pal thing and if life gets too rushed or whatever and they just cant do the SP any longer or not at all then they should be gracious enough to bow out. I hate thinking this way, for I do love the thought of a secret pal that could turn into a life long friendship, but the way this is going I have lost interest. Some people are now thinking hey wait a minute, havent you been taught that its good for a person to give and they shouldnt expect anything in return. Yes I have been taught that and have (hopefully) instilled that into my daughters as well, but when you sign up for a SP it does means you get something in return. I also dont believe that Kathy or anyone else should have to send to those that havent received from their pals. Kathy did start up the SP but she and others should NOT be feeling they need to nor doing other participants responsibilities.

I am going to send my pal her March box (have it bought and ready), but I will be dropping out after that. Sorry Pal. I hope to join another SP club in the future, but at the moment I just dont have the desire to continue. I have had GREAT luck, fun, and excitement on all my other adventures on the Garden Website, (i.e. - seed exchange site is 100% satisfaction, the WS is my all time favorite) so I will stick around, you can bet on that, however I just dont have the fun and excitement in me for at this time any longer.

Good luck and wishing you all, even my pal, all the best that life can offer and many blossoms!

Take care,
    Sandy

• KnoxvilleGirl
    19 years ago

Sandy-
    I would be right there with you if it hadn't been for my NEW pal actually sending me a box this month. I still don't know whatever happened to my "original" pal who chose to go three months without sending anything at all. I am very thankful that my new pal is fantastic and I am very dorry that yours is not. I know that had i not been reassigned and if my new pal was not sending me anything, I would have dropped out this month, too. Three months is a long time to be sending and not recieving anything.

I wonder - are these people (like my original pal) making excuses or just not even responding to emails?

I also agree that nobody should feel obligated to send sympathy packages (although they sure are nice to recieve) because it is the original pal's obligation.

Just my two cents. Mean pals stink.

• gulliblevolunteer
    19 years ago

i've worked out the technical problems i was having with my internet access. think maybe my (relatively new) provider recently moved me into the post-honeymoon, low-priority crowd. but it's sunday morning and everyone else is at church rather than online so page-loading is pretty quick right now :-)

it's rotten that some participants in this SP are getting the cold shoulder. i've been very fortunate so far. but i wonder a couple of things.
    first of all, since this started for christmas, maybe some participants thought it was just a christmas swap. noticed that sometimes people don't read the instructions/rules very carefully when signing up for a RR, which leads to confusion. not everyone answers their e-mail promptly either, because it's become just another modern chore, like the phone machine.

there's something else. up here in puritan New England we have a folk joke known as the 'giving war': somebody gives you something for no formal reason, and you are naturally obliged to give them something back. but it has to be more than they gave you, so you aren't beholden to them. then they, naturally, must do the same. and so it goes, back and forth, escalating into resentment that somebody started this whole chain of obligation, with nobody knowing how to make it stop. like i said, it's regional humor. but it's only half joking.

the original intent of this swap was to find something in your mailbox every month other than bills - a card was to be enough. to be honest, a little bit of competitiveness seems to have crept into this whole swap. sending a christmas/birthday box every month can become a little strenuous on the sender, especially those with families and budgets. and honestly - and not being a pollyanna - i am delighted after a lousy day at work just to come home and find a card in with all the junk mail. everyone loves to receive personal snailmail, and almost no one bothers to send it any more. sure we all love to get the odd seed packet too, but a card really is enough.

lets be careful not to let this well-intentioned Secret Pal swap escalate into a giving war.

hmmm, this posting sounded shorter in concept than it came out in print. sorry for the length. gulliblevolunteer

• gardnwatch
    19 years ago

Hello everyone..
    I am going to first acknowledge receipt of my February gift from my secret pal. Thank you so very much for the thoughtful items. I was away for a week and while away the box came, so i just got to it. I appreciate all of the great items in the box.....something for all of my senses.
    Secondly....I agree that this secret pal swap seems to have escalated into a giving war. I've been very fortunate in receiving a pal who sends to me on time,and always sends great things intented just for me...but would hate to think if she was sending me things above her budget just to keep up with the "Jones" . I think listing each and every item received is unnecessary. When someone reads what others get and then goes out to buy more items for their pal because they think in comparison to what others received, their gift was small, the original intent of this swap is gone.
    One or two thoughtfully selected items are wonderful to receive. I'm glad to see more of us think that way.
    I'm very appreciate of my pal and I hope she knows that.
    Bonnie

• kimskreations
    19 years ago

Now this is just my two sense (if no one minds as we seem to be sharing thoughts on this round robin this morning *lol*).

First of all, NO ONE should feel that they are in competition as this wasn't meant to be a "buying war" in any way.

With that being said, we must all realize that each one of us has a different family structure and that each month is different from the month before. Example, my Secret Pals birthday may be in February so I decide that February I'm going to do a little something "extra" for that month only. Your Secret Pal's birthday might be in June and you may do something big that month where as I might just go out to the garden and dig something.

Right now with winter being upon most of us, it's hard for Northerner's to just go "dig something up" so we are faced with having to purchase "items" instead. I love reading what people receive. I am thrilled to read their enjoyment and it gives me little ideas for my Secret Pal. Also know that depending on where you live, each of us has a "discount" store or get "unbelievable" deals on E-Bay etc. and maybe some people have more time to "shop around" for "a bunch of little things" which sound like a lot when listed but were actually on the "clearance" rack last week.

As mentioned above people just want to receive "something" in the mail. So get a pen and paper and tell your secret pal about your day. Tell them what you may be starting from seed, what you are planning on for spring, vent about your boss......anything.....when that envelope shows up in their mailbox it brings just as much of a smile as a box would.

I have found some months I send a "bunch of little things" other months I send "1 special thing". Try to budget it out to be what fits into your family the best, don't try to compete or feel like you need to as it's the thought that counts and what is more touching than a letter sharing a bit of yourself?

As I tell my children, when you sign up for a "team sport" you are part of a team. They are expecting you to be there both for practices AND games. Just because you don't feel like going to practice doesn't mean the whole team isn't counting on you to be there.

Also take into consideration that some people have signed up for multiple robin's which means their months are stretched between different activities whereas others may have only signed up for this one and can do things a little differently than others. For some people this may be the first robin they have ever done and they just enjoy "spoiling" a little. That's OK too. Just like plants, we are all different and come from different family structures. Keep this in mind but most of all HAVE FUN.

Here is a bouquet of flowers for each of you to smell this morning which hopefully will bring everyone back to what this robin is really all about. Sharing gardening. For Northerner's it's coming soon girls!

Everyone is someone's special pal!

Kim

• abitodd
    19 years ago

Hi all,

I would like to chime in on this discussion. I sent out 2 boxes to both my secret pal on this robin and to another on another robin. I never saw a post on the December package I sent. I did put a good deal of thought into the December box. I tend to go overboard on some of the things but not to bad. My feelings where really hurt that I never saw a post that my SP had gotten her box...she did infact post a response that was later copy and pasted to me for the wrong robin. I am disabled and can not afford much but when I am out shopping and see something cute and tacky I sometimes get it. When I say tacky I just mean something cute that I like and most others dont but I know very little about my 2 secret pals and would like a bit more feed back on what they would like to recieve. I may know a bit about my pals life but that doesnt give me much to go on. After never knowing if my SP recieved her December box which I did spend a good bit more on I would not mail my second box till I knew they had gotten it. I wanted to be a special box for Christmas. I did finally find out that they did get it so I mailed the January box as well as the March box at the same time. Well again I heard nothing and have waited for a 2 minute post just saying I got it and through it in the trash or I got it and I liked it...I have not seen a post at all. I did get an email from Kathy that they had gotten the boxes. I really wanted to let my SP know that I recieved my package and the fact that she/he is sending me things that appear to have been picked up on their own makes them all the more special. I want them to know I appreciate them and there efforts. My boxes have not been huge and I like that. They are more personalized. I am actually on pens and needles waiting to see what personal touch they will be adding to the next box. On the other SPRR I am in I got my first box this month a few days ago. It was a great box. It was not over done but very nice. I am fortunate enough to be back on track I hope. For all of you that have not recieved anything I feel bad for you. I really wish I knew how to change this. What I really feel appauld about is are the SP's that are not sending...are they recieving? If so that needs to stop now. I do not know who is whos SP but I would be glad to fill in for someone if they can not send for a month. It may not be much but I am one that enjoys giving as much as recieving. I will not stop sending to my SP just because mine is not sending to me. If I can give a smile and brighten someones day I have gotten something. With my illness it sometimes is difficult to get things together to send but I do my best and try to get it out as soon as possiable. Sandy, Please reconsider staying in. It is not your SP's fault you have not recieved it is your SP's fault. Maybe these bad apples can be weeded out and you will get a super box this month. My fingers will be crossed for you that everything will work out for you. I was very down that I as an adult made a commitment to brighten my SP once a month and I will do that as long as I can. For any of you who are reaping the rewards of a great SP and laughing the whole time you are opening it knowing you have not done your part just remember what comes around goes around full circle. So grow up and stick to your commitment and send the people you are suppose to what they deserve and that is any thing you owe them for the month of March and the months you have missed. It would have only costed you the plice of a card and a 37 cent stamp. I am now going to step down of the soap box and say to everyone I how you are enjoing this robin and to always remember one day you will be judged by your actions and not your good intentions.

Deni

• cassiet
    19 years ago

Hi... I've been off a few days as I had a death in my family and boy what squabbling. I think the posting of whose pal is best and what I got is just fun between a few really good friends and is meant for no harm to those who don't have a lot to give. I do agree about those who do not post because it is hurtful to those send. Enough said from me.

Secret pal.... I wanted you to know that I received your very lovely box when I returned home last night. I received purple alyssum and tourquoise seas bath care package. This is very useful for me now since we have not had the 2nd death in our family in just a month. This one was particularly difficult so last night was just the time for some relaxation and peacefullness.... Thank you so much and YES I am the cassiet from the RR Swaps for Easter and Valentines. Hope you are well.

Cassie

• KnoxvilleGirl
    19 years ago

I saw Soaprah on your list of "not recieved" but, although she is not my secret pal, she IS the pal of a dear friend of mine who has sent her packages with delivery confirmation. I am sure she has recieved her delightful packages and her spirits should be high! Just letting you know since I saw her on the list.
    Soaprah? Post and let us know what was in the package so we can be jealous and your pal can smile!

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Cassie
    So sorry to hear about the death in your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know you have been through a lot and I hope that knowing others care can help you through this difficult time. Take Care

• GardenHits
    19 years ago

Well it is the last day of the month.
    Nothing from one of my pals, I have 2

I took on a second pal because I felt sorry for those who had not received anything from their pals. Kinda funny huh?

Oh well lets see if it shows up in march.

vicki

• dawiff
    19 years ago

I just want to put my two cents in on the whole issue of competition. I agree that this should not be a competition to see who can get the most toys! I really do not want my Secret Pal to feel they must go overboard because everyone else is getting so much (and posting about it)! I want her to give what she can from her heart. Just knowing someone is thinking about me every month is enough.

I also feel really bad that some are still getting nothing. I have volunteered several times to be an alternate Secret Pal for someone, and haven't heard anything, haven't been assigned a second pal, haven't even gotten an acknowledgement of my offer. I am more than willing to take on another. Please just let me know. I don't care about receiving from a second pal, I just want to give to a second pal.

Alison

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

I would like to chime in here too!!! I originally thought of this swap because someone else wanted to start it & then no one heard anything else about it. I was already gearded up & excited about being in a swap but when it became obvious it wouldn't take place (& no other sucker volunteered), I decided to host one. I had alot of family problems going on, alot of stress - dealing with an alcoholic, 2 pre-teen & teenagers, a brother with bipolar disorders, etc. - I just wanted to go to my mailbox & pull out something NOT a bill or credit card application or a letter from someone wanting me to hold their millions. A little something to wonder about, does it come today? everyday when I go to the mailbox. By the response of the original thread I wasn't the only one. Money's tight for me but I do have a "gardening budget". Sorry Secret Pal, but most of my stuff comes from places like Big Lots, Fred's, & other dollar-type stores. Or out of my yard or from the woods or ditch around my house (my kids are so embarrassed because I carry a shovel in my car). I don't want anyone to think they have to spend alot of money because it looks like others have spent & sent alot. Have you seen some of the trade lists some of these traders have? Some of them are like little nurseries themselves!

I agree with everyone posted above. DaWiff, you & a few others have volunteered to be second pals. I got alittle confused with who were the foster pals & who weren't. I didn't want fosters to have to turn around & send to second pals. I've reassigned pals on an as needed basis.

Pals not sending after a few months has been let out of the swap. I can only take your word for it if you say you mailed to your pal, but if your pal tells me they didn't receive something than I take their word. I can only give someone so many chances.

As you all know, I don't have access to a computer all the time. My computer modem was fried in a storm & we haven't been able to buy a new computer. Therefore, I go to the library to post on GW, but since they don't allow email, I go to my sister's & her boyfriend's about once a week or so. So, I can't very well complain when people don't respond to my emails as soon as I'd like them too. I'm not able to respond as quickly as others would like me to either. I do however have a problem with someone never responding to an email or emailing another person.

I believe I emailed everyone the rules of this swap back in the beginning along with information about their pal so that all the information would be in the same place if you wanted to print it out or something. It isn't fair for someone to receive something & then not send to their pal. As was mentioned above, life gets in the way so maybe one month you're late or can't send as much. I have asked that you at least send a card.

I do not check your name off as receiving for the month until you post on the thread or email me. So if I have listed a name as not receiving than that person needs to post or send me an email. I emailed several people a day or two ago about this.

Cassie, I am so sorry for your recent losses. I won't say all the normal stuff because I'm sure you're sick of hearing it, but I will say this: Remember that God doesn't give us anymore than He thinks we can handle, and every trial we have to endure makes us stronger.

SandysGardens, I'm sorry I can't email you privately. I was under the impression that your pal was sending something & possible January & February in the same box. I was told your pal was very busy the month of January & just forgot. I know that's no consulation when you get nothing after sending something. I will clear this up & possibly reassign you to another pal - depending on your pal's reasoning. I am sending you a box (hush! yes I am!) because even if you do receive from your pal, two months is a long time to wait. I do hope you will decide to stay in the swap & give it another go, but I will understand (like everyone else)if you decide enough is enough. But I really hope you decide to stay in!

Let me say how good it makes me feel to pick out something for my pal. I can hardly wait for them to get it & post on GardenWeb so I know if they liked it, hated it, whatever. I don't understand how some people can get things in the mail, knowing that they should send something out in return, & not do so. Maybe I've gone overboard giving people chances - I will more than likely stop because I'm not the one who's getting a raw deal.

I thought I had stressed & restressed to everyone to please post or email me when you receive something. I understand that sometimes you forget, but do it when you remember. I can honestly say that I probably will not be hosting another swap unless I get another computer (which the hubby says will be soon, yeah!), maybe never.

I apologize for this being so long. I wish I could take away the hurt feelings, resentment, & anger traders have gotten because of this swap. I will do my best to straighten any screwups.

Kathy

• norma_az
    19 years ago

KATHY, JUST CHECKING TO SEE IF YOU GOT MY MAIL..IM MAKING SURE YOU KNOW THAT IM PULLING OUT AND WHY... NORMA

• lbmoore
    Original Author
    19 years ago

SPRING IS ALMOST HERE!

I have started the March Check in thread!

Have a great day!

• everafter
    19 years ago

I received a wonderful package from my secret pal today. :) It's a beautiful homemade item. It's blue painted picket fence that says, "Welcome". There is also a bird and nest with a birdfeeder. It's so cute. Now, where to put it???? I've got to find the perfect spot. ;)

I also got some seeds that will definitely go in my garden.

Thank you Secret Pal!

Susan

• cassiet
    19 years ago

Kathy,
    See my post on the new March thread

Cassie