SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy547

UPDATE: Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap...April check-in

Kathy Johnson
19 years ago

Please post here when you've received your April package/letter/whatever from your secret pal. Remember, this is my birthday month so NO PROBLEMS! LOL!!!

Comments (53)

• sunshine123
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ty secret pal i did get a package from you last week for march and yest. for april thank you so much i love every thing and i was really over joyed about the gnome i really love it ty you again

• ggwrn
    19 years ago

Thank you secret pal! I received my package today. You are on the ball! I was really late sending a package to my pal last month, I'm going to try and do better this month.
    I do chew gum, and appreciate the gum that you sent. Thank you also for the gladiolus bulbs (I don't have any in my yard) and for the vegetable and flower seeds. This year my husband and I are trying our first "real" garden, I can't wait to start planting. It should be safe to plant here in 2 - 3 weeks.
    I'm going to answer your questions here, I hope no one minds.

You asked what kind of plants I have, I winter-sowed A LOT of seeds, but I guess I won't know until later if they actually make it after I plant them in the yard. I have planted shasta daisies, foxglove and columbine in the yard and they look okay so far. I do have a lot of irises and daffodils, also quite a few daylilies. I am still interested in pink daffodils and daylilies other than orange or yellow ones. The orange coneflower that I want is called orange meadowbrite. I do like blackeyed susan's though and don't have any in my yard.

This will also be my first year having an herb garden. Right now I have lots of basil growing and a few different kinds of mint. I'm still trying to get some rosemary to grow, so would love some if you get your cuttings to root. I'm also looking for cumin and sage.

I do like to listen to music cd's. I like oldies (60's/70's), and I guess what you would call Top 40 type music LOL. At least that's what it use to be called. Also Christian music.

As for games, I like any kind of card or board games especially games that 6 or more people can play.

I love to cook! I try to cook a new recipe that I have never tried once a week. I've found some really good (and some really bad) recipes that way. I love cookbooks especially "church" or "community group" cookbooks because I know that they have recipes that people actually cook for their families.

You don't need to apologize for not writing a letter each month, I'm not much of a letter writer either.
    Thanks again for all the things that you sent this month (and all the other months) I have the hummingbird wind decoration out by our pond. It looks really cute out there. The knee cushion came in handy when I was planting my seedlings, I'll be using it a lot more over the next few weeks.

Ginger

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Cassie's February Check In for 2005 Secret Pal

Q

Comments (79)
    Debi and Debbie, I have planted seeds outdoors also. I got behind in the winter sowing in containers so I figured I would just try direct sowing on some of them and see how they do. I have noticed larkspur and love in a mist coming up from last seasons seeds so hopefully some of these I am putting out will take off too. My daffodils are starting to open up all over so it is starting to look like spring here. Also the Bradford pear tree is budding out. Of course Oklahoma has a lot of last minute freezes so I am hoping that the cold doesn't get everything. I plan to finish off the last of the winter sowing I was going to do and then I guess I will start planting seeds indoors on window seals. I really do like starting the little plants myself. I know that it doesn't really have a lot to do with me, but I feel just like a proud parent whenever my seedlings turn into plants and bloom.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Cassie's March Check In for 2005 Secret Pal

Q

Comments (46)
    Hi, y'all-- Received a package from my Secret Pal!!! I have the best pal EVER!! In the box were: A cute little yellow and pink hand-painted planter bucket...the colors perfectly compliment the purple shamrock I put in it. A bag of easter colored Hershey's miniatures (I should REALLY seek help for my chocolate addiction!!!). A card of Easter stickers (which my 8 year-old DGD promptly made off with!--oh, well *grin*). A package of white plastic plant markers (SO much better than the popsicle sticks I usually use). A packet of dark lavender Dianthus seeds (going in dirt this afternoon, tee-hee). A tin of Nivea hand cream (which will TOTALLY get used up...in addition to constantly digging in the dirt *g*, I also raise poultry, which means I wash my hands A LOT and all that washing often leaves my hands so dry that they crack...thanks for the relief, dear pal). Some decorative seed packets and home-canning jar labels (so pretty I hate to use them!). I'm not sure what the next item is, but it looks like a decorative Mason jar ring. It has a foam pad that goes underneath the ring. One side of the pad is adhesive, so I suppose you would stick a pretty picture to the pad and then use the whole assembly to store dry goods? If I'm right, I've never seen one before and it's really cool. Finally, my pal included a personalized Easter card. I also received a personalized St. Patrick's Day card with the prettiest decorative cut-out edging on the inside. I really wish I knew how to do that (hint-hint). SP, your parcels are always filled with very thoughtful things. You're the greatest! Thanks again! Best to all, Cheryl
    ...See More

UPDATE: Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap....May check-in

Q

Comments (38)
    Hello, All!!! I hope none of you have sent me an email becauce I haven't been able to check my email (if I don't hurry up & get another computer of my own I'm going to scream!). The sister's boyfriend's computer had to be worked on due to the 500+ viruses he had (he blamed email but I told him downloading music could open up a computer for viruses too). Anyway, I'll check it soon, I promise! I received the following from my pal: A very pretty card with "Handmade" on back. SP, did you make it? There's a black & yellow bird on a tree or shrub & it has a red flower. It's very pretty, in fact, I'm putting it in a picture frame. Pal, if you made that yourself I am impressed! I also got a package of dianthus 'Arctic Fire' seeds, which were on my want list. A cute little ladybug magnet, an iris plant, & some floating candles. She also sent a battery-operated, handheld fan, which is most appreciated since it's been so hot here. I wasn't thrilled when it got tangled up in my hair, although it would have been hysterical if it would have happened to someone else (say, my husband or one of the kids!). I also got a box of 50 incense cones with a ceremic incense holder "to keep insects at bay" printed on the box. Again, most appreciated since this is the South & we're plagued by all sorts of insects (& the husband's chickens obviously aren't doing their job). Thank you so much secret pal! I loved everything! Here is who has NOT received for May: Theresan Veeja11 GardenHits Gardnwatch Rudybacon Gulliblevolunteer
    ...See More

UPDATE: Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap....October Check-In

Q

Comments (40)
    Hi, I just wanted to make a quick note and let everybody know I did send my pal a package In October and my Secret Pal did send me a wonderful package. I have had a great deal of trouble finding time to get online and communicate to all the Gardenweb Community. I want to thank my Secret Pal for all the little gifts you sent the kids for Halloween. They needed those pencil sharpeners and erasers. They keep losing all the ones I buy them. They are managing to keep up with the little balls you sent though. The hubby liked the pen you sent him. I hung the Flower Pot Seeds hanging dor up in the Sunroom. Did you embroider the kitchen décor yourself? That is so thoughtful. I tried embroidery when I was little but I do not have time to do stuff like that now. I hung it next to my spice rack since the saying referred to "seasoning with love." I have decided I need a shelf or something for my pretty garden cups. ThatÂs on my " honey do list". I always love reading the magazines you send. I have got a habit of thumbing through the Birds and Blooms a tonight while watching TV just to unwind-even the ones I have already read before. The Garden quotation book will work for that too. I was touched that you signed the inside cover for me. The dessert on the cover of the cooking magazine looks so good it will probably be the first recipe I try from that magazine. But, IÂm sure IÂll try more. I love finding a new recipe. The kitty kat toothbrush holder was converted to a pencil holder for my little girl. We play with our fingernails together so the emory board is coming in handy. I was excited to see the lighted magnifying glass for maps. I canÂt tell you how many times we pulled over under a street light this summer to figure out on the map where we were. Now we can do it and not lose time and hopefully not get lost. lol This weekend I will be plating some of the bulbs youÂve sent me. Usually, I donÂt so so well with bulbs. Even when the moles and squirrels didnÂt mess with them, they did not bloom. But one of the local gardeners told me it was because I needed to plant the bulbs in November. And showed me how she did hers. So, I am going to plant them her way. I am going to put the Chrysanthemums up front. And the allium and daffodils in the back yard I am sure I left something out but I am typing this from work. I just canÂt thank you from home anymore. Atleast not at the moment. There is too much going on. But, I do appreciate everything you have sent me. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for thinking of me! Leann
    ...See More
  • kimskreations
    19 years ago

It's No Biggie but I didn't receive a package, card or letter for March. I hope everything is OK with my Secret Pal.

I did mail my March/April packages though so I'm still around folks.

Just got out of the hospital after a week so it has been quite hectic with the kids/hubby since getting back.

Kim

• leann2800
    19 years ago

Kim,

I'm so sorry you did not get anything for March. Hopefully your Secret Pal is okay.
    I am glad you are feeling better and are no longer in the hospital. A whole week in the hospital??? I can imagine how hectic your week back has been. My house would not even be standing. The kid and hubby would destroy the place. Or leave it such a mess that I wish it had been destroyed.
    Take care of yourself Kim. I'm sure April will be great for you.

Leann

• kimskreations
    19 years ago

Leann,

Thank you for the kind wishes, it really made my day. Yes, it has been very rough around here and very hard on all of us but we are trying to all heal "one day at a time".

Thank you again, just the fact that you wrote to express your kind words has really lifted my spirits and brought a smile to my heart.

To my Secret Pal, I pray you are OK and think of you often.

Sincerely,
    Kim

• becksterca
    19 years ago

I received a package from my secret pal....
    Part one of a two part surprise! Hummm...very clever SP...making the fun go on and on!
    I was afraid something was wrong because I haven't received a letter from you. I guess I didn't know how much I look forward to them! Thank you for the garden angel t-shirt. I love it! And the bag holder....how did you know??? I used to have them stuffed into each other in big ugly "bag balls". Now they are pretty!
    Thanks so much for everything and I hope all is going well for you.

Becky

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Thoughts and Prayers are with you Leann!! Best wishes for a quick recovery!! Take time for yourself and heal...this is so important for our bodies yet most of us don't do it!!
    Take Care
    Jan

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Hi Kathy
    I know this is early but I wanted to be sure and Wish you a very Happy Birtday!! (april 19)
    ENJOY!
    Jan

• everafter
    19 years ago

I must say that I'm enjoying this secret pal swap. :) I'm busily getting my package ready to send. Thanks to Kathy for all her hard work...without a computer!

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Kim, you have my thoughts and prayers that you, your dh, kiddos, and house are all recovering smoothly and quickly. Your pal felt very badly that she wasn't able to get her package out to you before taking off on a trip and leaving her address book behind. She felt extra badly because she knew you would be worried about her. I know she's busily working on a replacement pack and says she's been wondering whether those indoor daffs bloomed for you.

Take care of yourself and know that you are thought of often by many of us.

• kimskreations
    19 years ago

AWWWW I can't tell you how much you made my day!
    Thank you very much for your well wishes. It's getting a little harder before it gets easier but I think it's a test of strength *lol*.
    Please tell my secret pal that there is NO NEED to send a replacement pack, I was more worried about her than anything as she has been so faithful and I so look forward to her little notes.
    My daffs haven't bloomed yet but they had some nice looking leaves and roots so my daughter and I planted them outside today (we're thinking maybe......just maybe......spring may have arrived in Maine) *lol*
    Becksta, I promise to write you a VERY lengthy letter but you must trash it after reading to explain why I haven't written in such a long time which I am feeling so bad about.
    I feel so out of touch with life these days, it's just been a horrible but humbling experience I must say.
    I LOVE YOU ALL :)
    Kim

• darlene87
    19 years ago

Got my package from my great s.p. on Fri. Did not post as I was away. She sent some real cute clay flower pots that she had painted herself that you hang on shepherd's hooks, sort of like flowerpot chimes. Very sweet. Also 3 cat mystery books, which will be my next readings after I finish a book on history of WWII in the Phillipines. Also a super great bookmarker, a spoon bent in half! That one I love! She also sent a sweet card, and photos of her spring garden. Also some packets of flower seeds, which I will sow next week, in between the rains. Who ever my secret pal is, she does a great job, and fills in all the spaces that need filling...like books! Thank you secret pal, and you have more than made my day.
    Darlene

• kimskreations
    19 years ago

I received a BEAUTIFUL card from my Pal today with some VERY heartfelt words which touched me deeply. There was also a chamomile tea bag in the card which I plan to enjoy tonight during American Idol. Pal, thank you so much for thinking of me. I can't tell you how much it brightened my afternoon to find your card awaiting in my box. While reading it, it brought a tear to my eye (I am extremely sensitive these days and things mean more to me than they ever did before) so you can imagine just how truly blessed I feel to have such a wonderful pal!

Your Friend,
    Kim

• nitenut
    19 years ago

Another fun package from my secret pal. A very clever popup sunhat (sadly I haven't seen the sun for a few weeks now :) but have still managed to get out and do a little weeding.....thank you.. and a bonsai potato what great fun I'll be having. Hopefully it won't be like me trimming my kids bangs...just a little more here and here and here oooopps :) Thank you again for the smiles I have every time I receive one of your packages.

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Nitenut, at least potatoes don't wiggle! What on earth is a bonsai potato? LOL

• cassiet
    19 years ago

Part of my package has been sent and part will be shipped from elsewhere.

Cassie

• diene
    19 years ago

Mailed my package today. Spring seems to be here even though it will be in the twenties this evening. I have hollyhocks potted as well as those silly sticks the Arbor Day foundation sends every year. I actually have some trees from them. I have had crocus bloom and I have tulips, daffodils, hyacinth, star of bethlehem, jacob's ladder, hosta, lilies, primrose and many other things peeking out of the ground. I love this time of year. Everyone enjoy.

• kimskreations
    19 years ago

I'm SO excited! I just updated my webpage and thought I would share my latest KREATIONS with all my gardening friends! I can't wait to hang these in the sun outside this summer!

Please note: My website is very picture intensive so please give a few minutes to load if you are on dial up.

ENJOY!
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Planters

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Secret Pal - I love you! (Sisterly type of love thing.) I got your message last night (Sunday) and tried really, really hard to be here when the mail lady came. By 10 o'clock it was already 80^ here, and I started worrying. What if the box is small enough that she figures that she can squish it into the black mailbox? Ooooh! It'll cook before I discover it. My mail usually arrives between 10:30 and 12:30. Even though I kept myself busy working in front of the house this morning (How much watering can my plants take in one morning from carrying a water pail?), by 1:00, when I had to be gone 15 minutes before, I had already walked down to the box 4 times. When I returned at 3:30, the first thing I did was search the front porch. There was the mail - sitting on top of an old dresser my dd is redoing. You don't know how glad I am that you told me to keep my eye out for it. Otherwise, I might not have found my mail until at least tomorrow, or who knows when. Both the envelope and the box with the cinnamon basil arrived today, safe and sound. The basil arrived in decent condition, with just a couple of leaves ready to break off, which means that it was in *perfect* condition because since those leaves were ready to come off I didn't have to wrestle w/my conscience over taking just a wee bit to crush and sniff and taste. Perfect - HEAVENLY. Haven't seen or smelled it before. Great! My 15yo dd got the chance to try a smidge. She said the taste was familiar & finally piped up that it tastes to her like the chai granola that she loves. She can't wait for it to grow because she says it's going to be perfect tea flavoring.

The seeds - I'm going to have to do some investigating to find out exactly what a jelly palm is. I always say that I can't really say exactly what we want because there is so much we haven't discovered, yet. Discovering new things is so exciting. The chocolate mint seeds are going to be my own precious babies. Most people fuss that they can't get rid of it once they start to grow it. We are the only people I know who managed to kill all of theirs, probably because we tried too hard to take care of it. We all really like chocolate mint. (Took me three tries to grow, of all things, honeysuckle. Same thing with trumpet vine. I don't know why I have such a tough time w/things others consider invasives, but tend to have good luck w/things that people tell me won't grow here because of the heat or the cold.) If (WHEN) the seeds grow, I'm going to create a sandy soil area and try some of them there and others in a loamy area.

BoP will do well here when it grows. It can survive outdoors during the winter w/o being invasive as it was in CA.

There is ALWAYS room for, and containers to start, more herbs here. Not everything will make its way to be used for cooking. Some will just be enjoyed for their sight and smell in the garden. Others will (hopefully) be claimed by the butterflies before we claim them for the pantry.

You caught me in the middle of a frenzy trying to prepare beds in time to keep the wintersown plants from cooking in their containers, yet madly planting more seeds each night in an effort to get them going in time for this year. Didn't want to be planting the annuals & vines before we went away because I was afraid that no one would check them properly while we were gone. Now I'm working in overdrive. The herbs and your note perked me up and got me out of a certain funk that I in about something. The world is brighter now. Yes, herbs ARE good medicine, especially when they bring with them thoughts of someone else.
    Thank you, BEST pal.
    (No one get hung up over that, please. She really is a perfect pal for me.)

• KnoxvilleGirl
    19 years ago

I want cinnaman basil! Whoever sent her that - email me and maybe we can wprk out a trade!! That sounds GREAT!

• lbmoore
    19 years ago

Well my secret pal did it again! It never fails, if I'm having a terrible day, her box shows up to lift my spirits and brighten my day.

I was very tired yesterday after being up half the night with an ill child, going to work, and working with our real estate agent negotiating a contract on the sale of our home.

I have come to love the little surprise boxes inside the package getting excited before opening to find what my pal has sent. All these are being planted at my mothers so I can enjoy them without wondering if I'm planting things for a new homeowners enjoyment!

I loved all the other items also! Secret pal you're the best!

• leann2800
    19 years ago

Cinnamon basil? Never heard of such. Must smell great. And to reiterate mudplayingfamilysmom's question....what is a bonsai potato?
    I'm in overdrive here too. Lots of baby daisy plants had to be planted. The yard smells so nice from the sweetshrub and wisteria. It was in the 80s here today. Nice weather. My new roses all have blooms. I'm so proud. My first roses! This is going to be a great garden year!

Leann

• diene
    19 years ago

Hello to all and Happy Birthday to Kathy although I received the present. I received a wonderful package today that had seeds and a special angel memento as well as a wonderful letter. My secret pal puts me to shame because I do not send letters with my packages. Sometimes a small note but not newsy type letters. I enjoyed reading it and knowing it was written especially for me. The weather has been warm here but they are threatening snow by the weeks end. I wish I thought they were kidding. I do have crocus, veronica and star of bethlehem in bloom. My daffodils are almost ready and my lilies are showing their heads. The snow should not last or cause trouble but we sure have had enough of it this year. Last count I heard was 102 inches. I do hope everyone else is enjoying spring. Thanks Secret Pal!!!

• booster1
    19 years ago

Happy April everyone!!!!!

I received a box of goodies last week from my secret pal. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!! She must be from a little further south. It is frosty some mornings yet, but I planted and will cover when I need to. I received pineapple mint(I love), hosta, lime thyme(goodie), lamb's ear, tansy(don't have), sedum(love), Dianthus(one of my favorites and don't have this color), violets(absolutely love), cinnamon scented flowers(can't wait), and an unknown plant(I love surprises). Then I got a bunch of amaryllus(sp) bulbs(how fun).

What a great box of goodies!!! Thanks so much. I will let you know

Leslie

• rudybacon
    19 years ago

I received a bounty from my secret pal. A beautiful card with a handwritten note and lots of seeds. While I love all of them, I am just crazy about Gazanias. I don't think I have the variety she sent so I can't wait to see them grow. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Kathy

p.s. Did I remember to say thank you!

• abitodd
    19 years ago

Hello all,

Well this afternoon just as I was finishing up with my watering I heard someone turn into the drive...have a really long driveway...When I looked up it was the big brown truck...yep you got it...UPS...Well I was pretty much saying some nasty words under my breath since I figured hubby had bought more junk for his hobby that is all over my house when my daughter came walking up and said guess what? I looked at her and said he bought more junk...she laughed and said nope this one is for you...my first thought was what did I order and when...lol Well I quickly opened it and quickly realized it was from my SP...I got two big shells that I put on my Mantel as these where too big for my big glass bowl I have been working on filling for the last few years but they look great where they are and have several pieces of coral to accent them. I also got several Iris's and last and best of all a beautiful and I do mean beautiful stained glass lighthouse windchime and candle holder. I had a meeting and I was running late for so I did not get it hang it today but it will be going to the garden with me in the morning and I plan to find it a perfect spot. Oh I love windchimes. I have a huge one on the front porch that I love. It is tuned to play a specific song but I can not remember the name of it at the moment, anyway I love windchimes and my husband and I both love lighthouses, my daughter makes lots of things out of glass so she wanted to take it and see if she could make one like it but I told her she needed to take a picture cause it was going over the table under the tree and I will be trying it out with a candle tomorrow night. SP I love it and you really went overboard this time. I will treasure the lighthouse and the shells forever. You seem to really put some thought into the things you send and I love that. I will try to get a picture of the lighthouse for all of you to see tomorrow and of the sweet little bunny planter I got last month. I have a cute sedum in it and have it sitting by a daylily so it looks like it is resting in the garden. I love everything you have sent me pal. Thank you so much.

Deni

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Greeting to all
    I just wanted to let you know as far as basil...lemon is another good one!! When the basil gets tall I cut them and add them as filler in my fresh cut bouquets!! Sometimes I will just do a vase with basil! It lasts a good long time. Other herbs can be used also sage, love pineapple, mints etc. Ok I am sure you get the idea! Just a thought and if you want give it a try!! To my pal...I am running a little late but I am finishing your package today and it will be on its way!!
    The weather report is talking snow....hummmm it has been so nice and things are blooming now that didn't bloom last year until the end of May!! I'm sure the snow won't last and I do have plenty of plastic to cover things up!!
    Enjoy your gardens!!

• Lynn
    19 years ago

I received a nice package from my pal. I'm a little slow posting but was very happy to get my box. I received three plant starts - sunflower, aster, and phlox. I had none of these and am anxious to try them. I also received a glass dolphin and a little turtle that hangs on the side of a pot. Really cute! Thanks pal! I like animal stuff.

WindsurfGirl

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Due to some problems, Gulliblevolunteer is unable to post on GardenWeb for awhile & has asked me to post for her. So, I've cut & pasted her message:

Secret Pal, thank you so much for the soul-soothing package. I was
    thrilled to find a box outside my door! Looking forward to reading some
    stories in the book, then settling back and listening to the
    environmental cassettes and renew and relax. The floral stationary is lovely, and
    its my favorite color (to answer your question), yellow. I love
    peppermint patties, so theyÂre already half gone. And you sent my very
    first garden gnome! ItÂs just the right size and benevolent attitude to sit
    guard over the houseplants and maybe discourage kitty nibbling.
    Though the cat that eats plants also likes mint, and right now is sniffing
    interestedly at the peppermint patties. Weird cat. Great box! I
    really enjoyed it, thank you again. Real life does get in the way; you have
    a lot of company. IÂm glad that youÂre healthy and okay.

To answer your questions: I like most movies, especially silly
    comedies and history documentaries, but donÂt much care for ones that are
    stupid and violent. I like to read non fiction, especially history.
    Favorite color to look at is yellow; favorite scents are things like
    lavender and rosemary, or anything else herbal or woodsy.

Hope that gives you info you wanted. Happy spring right back atcha!
    DonÂt sweat the small stuff :-) gullible

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was alittle depressed because my birthday was April 19th - remember Waco & the Oklahoma City bombings? - that's also the anniverary for those events. Everytime the news footage showed that fireman with that little baby I'd just tear up all over again. My husband never remembers my birthday or Mother's Day or our anniversary, both in May so I've always gone to the nursery & bought stuff I wanted without feeling guilty. Last year he threw a wrench in my plans by actually remembering to get me something (He asked what I wanted, I said plants or a gift certificate from the nursery, he gets me a purse). This year, I begged him to not get me anything ( so he won't have a heart attack when my $50 order from Thompson & Morgan comes in. How am I going to hide that?!!).

Sorry! I rambled!!! My long-winded point was that my pal couldn't have timed it better. I do have a complaint though. Written on the box was "open 1 end & be careful". I thought I was the only one who used duck tape! I liked to have never got that box opened! Inside was a very pretty card with a handwritten note wishing me a happy birthday. There was a huge windchime my pal said she got out of the discount basket (aren't those just the best kinds?!!). I'm sorry pal but I haven't been able to put them up because I wanted to put them up in this one particular spot. The trouble is that every year we get wasps that build a nest there. Well, I decided to spray the area (corner of house under the eave, there's a little crack & that's where the nest is, up inside the crack). I started spraying & about the time the wasps come swarming out, the spray fizzles. I think I may have pushed a kid down running from the wasps but luckily I was not stung. Meanwhile, my husband is laughing, gasping for breath, & telling me they won't chase me if I don't run from them, all at the same time. Needless to say, I was not amused with him. Also, I'm a chicken so the windchimes can stay in their box for a day or two. My Girl Scout troop has been doing alot of stuff lately with India & there was several things we can use in our troop meetings. My pal must live in or near a large city because here in the booneys, I wouldn't have ever found anything like these. There was an Indian game that my husband & kids have been playing with ever since - it's almost too pretty to play with. There's also an Indian storybook I'm going to show the girls & a box of Indian spices that you cook with vegetables. My husband loves to cook (& I absolutely hate it) & is just esctatic with all the possibilities he has with this little box. He loves experimenting. I know I've left something out & I'm sorry pal if I have. Just know that I'm very happy with what you sent. I can tell you put alot of thought into what you sent so thanks again!

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here's my list of who hasn't received or either hasn't posted they have received for April:

Theresan
    Everafter
    GardenHits (2nd pal)
    GardenHits (1st pal)
    Eliz33
    DaWiff
    PlantladyJan
    SandysGardens
    Gardnwatch
    CompostChick
    KnoxvilleGirl
    Cassiet

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Just a quick note to say my pal's package is being sent out either saturday or Monday!! Hang in there it is coming!

• Eliz33
    19 years ago

I received and posted that I had.

• becksterca
    19 years ago

I received a really nice solar frog statue from my pal.
    Thanks pal! I put it out in the yard....and it started raining! I hope everything is going well for you and thanks for the great frog!
    Becky

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Hi
    Well........Spring is here in MI..I think!! Wow what a cold weekend even a bit of snow! Yikes!! I wanted to thank my pal for the great spring package she sent!! Oh I can't wait to get the dahilas planted!! This will be a first for me!! Thanks so much for getting me started in them!! I also thank you so much for the wonderful card! I just love it!! Great colors!! Do you make these? I also thank you for the note cards! Very pretty and come in handy as I do a lot of snail mail!! I do hope you are doing well! Thanks again! Sun is out and warming up so soon I will be planting my dahilas!! Can't wait!! I wanted to let you know I dried the flowers from my Christmas plant and they look wonderful in my newly painted bathroom!! Sage green with red accents!!

• sandysgardens
    19 years ago

To my pal - I finally mailed your box this past Saturday (23rd). Had it ready a week earlier and thought my 21 year old had mailed for me, but found it in the formal dining room. I guess if you want something done, you gotta do it yourself, or not wait a week to see if it was done. Should be there any day now.

Sandy

• sandysgardens
    19 years ago

Want to give a BIG thanks and a BIG hug to my secret pal. A VERY nice box of goodies was waiting for me outside my front door tonight after work. I have to tell you pal; you know how to make someone feel good. Being it is my birthday week, I was hoping for a good week. Unfortunately we lost one of our pet cats (Chelsea) of just 12 years, to what the vet believes was a clogged bile duct; we have been treating for about 6 weeks. So after Chelsea passed away the evening of my birthday (Monday), I have not wanted to smile much; that is until I got my pals box.

I couldnt help but smile when I opened a box full of GREAT stuff. A very good variety of flower seeds and veggie seeds. A couple of nice healthy plants (the air is filled with the sweet smell of geranium). The magazines will be read and looked at thoroughly over the next few weeks. I have been trying to decide how to plant a 120 foot boarder along my back fence, and some new path ways in the yard, so I am sure the magazines will help with that. I need to prune some of my rose shrubs so the gloves will help protect my fingers and hands from the thorns from getting me.

Thanks again pal, you helped brighten my week. Sure wish you lived next door!

Take care,
    Sandy

P.S. the box came just at the right time, wasnt too late.

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Not received (according to my list) for April 2005:

Theresan
    Everafter
    GardenHits
    GardenHits
    DaWiff
    Gardnwatch
    CompostChick
    KnoxvilleGirl
    Cassiet

If I have you on this list & you've already received something, please let me know.

• dawiff
    19 years ago

Dear Secret Pal,

I received your package today while I was outside gardening and it was a wonderful treat! Thanks so much for sending it! I love the two little brightly painted kitty cat picture holders, and the two bright candles are great as well. I love bright colors. Also the gardening gloves will come in very handy (no pun intended!). I am always losing mine, and these are so pretty and brightly colored, there is no way I will lose them! Thank you also for the seeds, I was just thinking the other day that I would like to grow some mint, and voila! the seeds arrive!

But the best thing in the package was your little note, with pics of your lovely garden, and of the birds in your garden. How wonderful it must be to see baby birds! That note was the best and most cherished thing in there! Honestly, you could have sent just the note and pics and I would have been happy.

Thank you again!

Alison

• GardenHits
    19 years ago

I received a package from one of my secret pals today (Salem, MA I think?).

First I have to tell you you have been so generous. The mints and coreopsis have been planted already. And I cannot wait to see the curly mint take off. I love new mints.

I also enjoyed the card tremendously. It is so funny because Arizona borders Mexico and we live in a part of Phoenix that is turning into little mexico that I am having to learn spanish (whether I want to or not) Even the grocery ads for major food chains are starting to come to us in spanish. lol

Of course you made a big hit with Buddy. I have several hartz brand toys that have a scent that he flips over but I could never place the scent. Well that chocolate tennis ball was just the same sent. So not only did he do sommersaults (he really did!) for the tennis ball, when he realized it had the same sent as him favorite toys, he just wanted to hoard it to himself. (Meaning he will not give it to us to throw it for him) He keeps throwing it up in the air with a flick of his head and chasing after it. Once again secret pal you came through big time!

Thank you so much. I and buddy will get so much enjoyment out of this months package.

Vicki

• GardenHits
    19 years ago

Kathy you've got mail.

• Eliz33
    19 years ago

Ok so now I wipe the egg off of my face. I haven't received for this month and I did not post. Sorry for being so rude. I am in 2 swaps got confused.

• everafter
    19 years ago

I received my secret pal box a couple of days ago. So sorry I didn't post sooner but have been so busy. She always sends me a beautiful card which I love. She also sent a yellow twirly thing that I will hang in a tree close to the house. (Sorry I don't know what they're called.) She also sent me a notepad with magnets and a cute rustic looking magnet that I just love.

Thanks so much for thinking of me. ;)

Susan

• Kathy Johnson
    Original Author
    19 years ago

GardenHits - I was supposed to let you know your pal was late sending but you should get it soon! However, I'm late posting & you've already got it.

Theresan - your pal wants to let you know your package is on the way & she's sorry for being late.

BecksterCA will be off-line until May 25th due to a family emergency so will be unable to post when she receives for May until after then. However, she will be mailing her end but won't be able to let me know until the end of the month.

~~~New List for not receiving~~~
    Theresan
    GardenHits - 2nd pal
    Gardnwatch
    CompostChick
    KnoxvilleGirl
    Cassiet
    Eliz33 (egg & all! LOL!)

• gardnwatch
    19 years ago

I received my package for April. A great pair of gloves and some herb seeds........love them. Your note was very special too.....thank you so much. I'm glad your weather is getting warmer.....maybe mine will too very soon and stay that way for more than a day at a time.
    I am sorry to say my pal is probably wondering if I have fallen off the planet. I have not....but had to go to my sisters funeral/memorial service and was out of town for a few weeks . Please know that it is coming....I could never forget you.. :)

• GardenHits
    19 years ago

Well it is may now - still nothing from my other secret pal for april.

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

My pal hasn't posted and should have her April package..I hope she is ok.

• KnoxvilleGirl
    18 years ago

nothing from my pal for April either. i had surgery and got my package out late but my pal should have it by now...

• cassiet
    18 years ago

I received a lovely package from my pal. Pal I loved the little coca cola plaque and the seeds. I so enjoy coca cola items and grin with each thing that someone finds. To answer your question. Coke items are always cool. SMILE... so are Tweety items. I collect these so I find somewhere to put them. Thank you for the very sweet notes you always include in your items, they brighten my day and make me smile. Yes, I'm doing better now. Although our spirits are battered and bruised and our family a little smaller we are adjusting. Some days are hard and some are easier. Spring has let me and my daughter get out and do things. My mother is still having a very hard time with all the deaths and that is expected, she is very ill as well and has been hospitalized a couple of times .... when she is better and her health improves both mentally and physically we will be all much better..... don't think I can deal with ANOTHER loss.... 3 has been enough... it has been a rough few months.... Thank you pal very much for asking.

Cassie

• KnoxvilleGirl
    18 years ago

Did not recieve for April but receieved a package for May - could this one actually be April's instead? I am not sure...