SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdigginglady

Borders for Bed Gardening

DirtDiggingLady
19 years ago

Hi all, I have am pretty new to this site and a newby gardener. I have searched for information on this and just can't find anything. I don't know if I'm posting this to the right place or not, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Does anyone know if our idea below would or would not be a good idea? We just cannot afford to buy any materials to put around the beds. We are having to put a fence up around our large backyard and that is eating up all our expense money. Our yard has enough of a slope that I'm afraid that we'll have some loss if we don't use something around the beds.

Any of you, please tell me what you think of this idea. The lastest idea we have come up with is getting some bales of hay (hopefully cheap) and taking them apart and tieing the hay together in round rolls of about 6-8 inches thick or somehow to make hay blocks or rolls that would hold in the raised beds by sinking them partially in the ground around the beds. I think thatch roofs keep water out of houses in Ireland and England, so they must be good at holding things together, but I don't know what they are made of. I thought of this idea when a neighbor told me about Martha Stewart's idea of cutting holes in bales of hay for growing tomatoes. I think the rolls of hay would have a neat and cottage kind of look -- like thatched roofs. And the hay could be tilled in the garden soil at the end of the season to help the soil, or it could be spread over it to protect it from washing away in the winter time.

Is there anything I'm not thinking of with regard to using the hay as described?

Thanks!

Katie, the Dirt Digging Lady

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES