SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danell_hiltz

Preparing Unhealthy Soil for Garden Border & Lawn - Please Help

Danell Hiltz
13 years ago

I'm new to this forum and to gardening but I want to do it right so your experience will be most welcome. I'm building a border and found the following recipe in a book and would welcome some feedback:

"For each 100 square feet of new garden space:

Plant Tone 5-10 pounds

Rock phosphate 5-10 pounds

Greensand 5-10 pounds

Gypsum 5-10 pounds

Osmocote (8 months) 2 pounds

Till all these ammendments plus organic matter (I presume this means compost?) into the soil, rake smooth and your bed is ready to be planted."

Now some background on my soil. Soil test in 2009 indicated dense/heavy clay > 40%, pH 7.7-7.8, N Med/Low, P High, K Med/Low, Volatile Organic Content 1.5%, Humus Med/Low, Salts 92ppm.

The recommendation for the lawn was to hose spray alfalfa meal and gypsum. Instead I added mucho compost and spread evenly. Last year I simply aerated and fertilized with Doctor Earth. I just fertilized again with Doctor Earth and may aerate again. Should I maintain now with just Doctor Earth or will a mixture of fish emulsion and liquid seaweed every 30 days help? This too was recommended in 2009.

Now back to the beds. Last fall I laid down cardboard and layered peat moss and compost on top. I already have an Acer Palmatum 'Bloodgood' and plan to add Acer Truncatum (Shantung maple), Port orford lawsonia 'Blue Surprise' w Guardian Stock, and Thuja 'Emerald Green.' Also perennials, shrubs and possibly Erica as yet to be decided.

I notice moss growing in the bed and areas where water pools. I did a drainage test by digging a hole 1 feet deep and filling it with water. After one hour there was about 3 inches left. Filled a second time and after one hour there was about 1.5 inches left.

Two more questions, will Doctor Earths 4-4-4 work as well as the Plant Tone and If I could purchase only 3 books and 2 magazine subscriptions to learn more about responsible gardening, which would you suggest? I know this seems like a lot but I really want to know. Thanks!!

Comments (5)