SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imnotbob

Late start, New garden location soil info please

imnotbob
14 years ago

I am starting a new garden right about now. I was planning most of the winter to get a raised bed garden going in the spring but with school and work didn't have the time to get anything going. But now that school is out I have shaved the lawn off of the area that I want to plant but I have run into a different problem. Many years ago there was gravel near the area and much of it migrated to the new garden patch and I was doing a little tilling and realized that my ground was rock hard and filled with gravel. It was even rock hard after a good soaking. I will plant in this if people say that the pebbles and gravel aren't an issue but I will migrate that soil to another spot for further treatment later and bring in some topsoil. I believe my soil to be a fairly poor quality since we have done absolutely no planting or grass or anything there for about 15 years. We didn't use the yard at all so it was just more like cut the weeds and grass down a few times a year. So I am suspect about the nutrients in the soil. Also I would do a soil test but I don't know how long they take to get the results back if anybody could give me an idea on that I would appreciate it as I want to get plants and seeds in the ground asap. thank you

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH