SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flutterby_404

Starting a Garden in San Antonio Brand New to Gardening

flutterby_404
14 years ago

I am literally brand new to gardening & I would like to start an herb/vegetable garden in my back yard. Most of my yard gets full sun & I had done a bit of research on-line. I am planning to start with one raised bed for vegetables & then herbs in pots.

I would love advice from actual gardeners who put their hands in the same south central Texas soil I will be working with.

What grows well here? How much is too much? What veggies do well together in a shared bed? If you're in San Antonio, where's the best place to get starter plants? Are starter plants the best way to go? Or am I better off starting from seeds? What kind of time line should I follow? What should I be doing next weekend?

I'd eventually like to get a flowering garden going as well, but I figure one project at a time.

Thank you for all your help, I know there is much research that I must still do on my own, but I find that first hand experiences are always so valuable.

Comments (10)

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

Hello Flutterby ! I hope you love gardening as much as the rest of us do ! GardenWeb is a great research tool for you, as there is lots to learn, and plenty of valuable people here who can point you in the right direction.

Depending on what part of town you're in, your soil could be different than others. North usually has a lot of rock, while other areas are great blackland. Either way, a raised bed is definitely the way to go. Personally, I don't think that I would grow herbs in pots (unless they are large) because our hot summers just seem to dry out the pots too quickly. That being said, I don't grow herbs, so I really can't say that firsthand. I do grow hundreds in pots though, and water constantly during the hot months.

What grows well here ? Well, I'm terribly fond of salvias, and natives. I venture to say that many here will agree with the native side of that. A good way to determine what will do well in your area is a drive around the neighborhood to see what plants are doing nicely in yards and public areas.

Starter plants -- one of my favorite nurseries is Rainbow Gardens. There are two locations in SA. Pretty soon (maybe March) they will start running a weekly ad in the Express News with great plants at great prices, and usually a freebie when you make a purchase. They have an awesome choice of herbs, as well. I also like the Antique Rose Emporium. Many of us also drop by Lowes clearance racks now and then for some really good deals ! Some stores are better than others. I prefer plants rather than seeds, just to get a headstart on things. But I don't usually buy large plants, because of the cost. Stick with 4" or 1-gallon and they'll get to that larger size soon enough at a fraction of the cost.

Something else you may want to consider is attending our plant swaps. You may find the San Antonio swap post on the first page of GardenWeb, or it may have gotten to the second page by now. Or look for it also listed on the Texas Exchange sub-forum. The spring swap is March 10. You will learn a lot by attending the swaps and no doubt will go home with some plants. I also attend the Buda swap, which is April 17. I've been going to these swaps since the first one for Central Texas was started over 12 years ago. They are awesome ! You go home with all kinds of plants you couldn't find in a local nursery, and you make the best friends ! Please feel free to contact me directly by email if you want more information.

Regarding your other questions, I'll let those with more knowledge about the timeline answer those for you. Mainly, you just need to watch out for those late freezes !

patty

• matx
    14 years ago

I'm in Austin, so I can't help directly, but I think the herbs are great to start with. There is nothing better than picking your own fresh herbs and cooking with them right away. I'm a huge fan of fresh basil.

Your county agricultural extension should have a growing schedule available for your county. You should be able to find it with a google search. That will give you good idea of what to start when. Also know your average last frost date as that marks the safe (generally speaking) date you can put warm weather crops in - tomatoes, peppers, etc.

Next weekend? Is your garden bed ready? Time to get the soil ready and add compost.

It's a little late to start tomatoes and peppers from seed, but you can always use starts. It's cheaper and there is more variety available if you start from seed - but starts from the nursery certainly aren't a wrong way to go about it.

How big will your raised bed be? No matter how big, it's easy to fill with things that grow well here. You might think about some common easy vegetables to start with - tomatoes, peppers, bush beans, zucchini, and cucumber (you would need a big bed for ALL of that). Tomatoes and peppers will need to be starts but you can just direct seed the other three.

• Related Discussions

San Antonio Community garden....

Q

Comments (1)
    That is wonderful to have a community garden in an urban environment. It really does help beautify the area and provides food for the gardeners involved. That is so nice of you to give them some blackberries for their garden.
    ...See More

Japanese Tea Gardens in Brackenridge Park, San Antonio

Q

Comments (21)
    I will add the Jingu family had a tea and snack room in the structure where the restaurant is now located. This is in part how they made a living. I have always been confused about San Antonio Sunken Gardens being originally, and now again being called Japanese Garden. From all I know the style is strongly Chinese and in no way Japanese. The Jingu family was supposedly from Japan, but the style is Chinese. The Japanese Garden In Golden Gate Park, San Francisco is one of my favorites. The Japanese family that created that garden was also evicted in WWII. They had a large house/structure in the garden and owned some of the more valuable plants. They rented the house for events. When evicted they took apart the house ( built without nails Japanese style) and moved it to a lot they owned and sold the plants. Some justice was served. A wealthy patron bought the plants and moved them to her estate, but gifted them back to the gardens in her will.
    ...See More

San Antonio Plant Swap and Garden Visit Oct. 2012 ...

Q

Comments (7)
    We had a great time. And no, I didn`t stop at a single nursery on the way home. Jim filled the car up with rocks! Thanks again for having us. See you in the spring. I owe Patty some ginger and Rebecca thalia and purple stem taro. I`ve been planting and repotting all day today. I`ll get pics posted later. Barb brought me "two" giant crinums, I think there are 30++ in those two pots! Tally HO!
    ...See More

New San Antonio Gardening Group

Q

Comments (4)
    Good luck with your group. :-) I wish there were something similar in Austin. Three years ago, someone tried to create a garden meet-up group in Austin, but it never got off the ground. Most Austin gardening clubs are tied to Zilker Botanical Gardens and meet late in the evenings. There isn't anything wrong with this, but I wish there were a group that met on weekends (for those of us who work and are worn out by the time evening rolls around). San Antonio is a bit too far for me or I'd join your group. Sounds like fun!
    ...See More
  • flutterby_404
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation about checking my county's Agg Extension, already found some great info!

Here's another question I thought of, how many plants of each veggie should I plant?

What I would love to grow veggie wise are:
    Spinach
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Tomatoes
    Garlic
    Egg Plant
    Cucumber

Herbs:
    Basil
    Flat Leaf Parsley
    Rosemary
    Oregano
    Chives
    Cilantro
    Dill
    Sage
    Thyme

I think I'll also try a lemon tree in a large container.

I only have 2 to feed here at home & then my parents & one aunt to give my harvest away too, so I don't want to over grow & be wasteful... Look at me, planning on having a huge crop that I might not be able to use... That's wishful thinking, huh?

But with all that said, how many of each plant do you recommend? I haven't built my raised bed yet, will be doing that next weekend, so I still have time to decide on the size on my initial bed.

Again, thanks for all the great info already, I really do appreciate it! I'm really excited to get started!

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Hi and welcome flutterby. Rosemary does great all over town. You only need one or two plants to have fresh Rosemary year 'round for a very long time. Oregano and sage also do well here all year.

Most of the other herbs you mention are annuals and need to be replanted on a regular basis. Cilantro likes cool weather so get it in the ground soon and stagger your plantings every two weeks to get a continuous supply until the heat sets in. Plant it from seeds for best results. The same with Dill. Basil does well from spring to fall but you will need a new plant every few months. Basil and parsley take a long time from seed, so I combine some plants and seeds. I keep both in a pot for convenience of moving as the weather changes.

We've had some discussions about growing Thyme on this forum. It doesn't do that well in our climate but read through the thread I've attached and there are some varieties recommended.

There's a great Herb Market in the fall at Pearl Brewery. Antique Rose Emporium usually has a seminar or two on growing and using Herbs during the year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thyme growing in South Texas

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Well flutterby...Its good to see a person who is excited about growing. As for the veggies you were interested in, I'd have to say that with brocolli and spinach, your getting close to the end of their growing season. All the others seem peachy and you'll be able to find starts for them soon. If I may suggest a plant that I'm sure will work here in San Antonio, I would suggest that you plant Jalapeno Grande Hybrid. The fruit are large and many. Plus one jalapeno is enough! In addition, see if you can your hands on Solar Fire or Heatwave tomato starts.

Also if your able to, take a trip down to the San Antonio Botanical Gardens. Youll get a feel for what works here in san antonio, xeriscape wise.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

here is a link to the March 13 San Antonio swap.

Please plan on joining us.
    We can start setting up at 9:00 a.m.

Here is a link that might be useful: March 13 swap

• matx
    14 years ago

It's hard to answer how many of each plant you will need to plant. We're a family of three tomato lovers, and 10 tomato plants doesn't overwhelm us.

Depending on how many vegetables you eat, one bed probably won't be enough to supply "enough" vegetables for two people. But it's a great start.

As you get started, you will read all sorts of philosophies on spacing - from intensive square foot gardening, to more extensive spacing. Pick a gardening style and dive in. Some of those vegetables you listed grow in different seasons - so you can rotate things through and keep something growing almost all year.

Where ever you build your raised bed, make sure it will look nice with two or three nearby next year when you get the itch to expand. This gardening thing tends to be addictive.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

Some herbs barely need any improvement to the soil. Rosemary, sage and oregano loves it here in Texas. Just work a bit of compost into the soil and plant some plants.They like a well drain lean soil. They will take off. I have goriza rosmary and tuscan blue roesmary. They are five feet tall and 5 feet wide. You can get smaller varieties. They also don't need any watering after the first year so one can put them out there were life is tough. They make a good hedge. I surround them with artemisia. The contrast makes quite a statement. Oregano does not need a hugely improved soil and do not need to be in a heavily tended garden or pot. My Salvia officianales beirgarten is another one that takes abuse texas style. I live in high rocky caliche in Central texas west of Austin. Thyme likes it here but needs a tad bit more care than the others that I mentioned, Not much more care but some.. It appreciates being planted in the fall so its roots can get down before the heat hits. This is not written in stone but it helps.

Cilantro needs to be planted very soon. Heat will bolt it. Same with parsley. They grow easily from seed. There is a slow bolt cilantro. Get your spinach and in the ground tomorrow. Dill is a good winter plant. Spinach , garlic dill, chives, broccoli are good winter plants. They say to get spring broccoli in now but I find that harlequin bugs hit in March on all those cabbage like plants. I rather grow them in winter and I kept a lot of these plants alive with a frost cloth through the freezes. I plant using the schedule put out by my county extension agency. It takes a lot of the guessing out of the game.

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

The best time to plant Cilantro and Dill is in fall, IMHO, especially if doing seeds Do have your soil tested. All kinds of different soil in S.A. I have one Rosemary...it's big and supplies more than I'll ever need. Rosemary does best with some sun and very good drainage.

• tesa001
    14 years ago

welcome to gardening!

i think a soil test is a great idea

a small price to pay to get an idea what your working with

start smaller than you think

you can alway build more beds, always buy more seed, and
    i believe a small neat, patch is more productive, AND more
    fun for the beginner, than a huge weedy plot that you'll
    hate to walk into come high summer

i'm just a beginner myself, i have 5 tomato plants (well,
    thats what i'll have soon, i haven't purchased my transplants yet) and 5 4X4 foot beds, one bed i'm going to
    use for strawberries. all my herbs are in a dedicated bed
    all their own, and i have perennials and annuals

good luck and enjoy yourself

tesa

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting