SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithnoskill

New vegetable gardener with bad luck. Any advice? (pics)

I'm a new gardener with a 200 sq ft garden in Central Florida (outside of Orlando). We thought we did everything right when we set up the garden. We bought organic topsoil. We tilled it in. We added lime, fertilizer, etc. We planted some plants from seeds and others from seedlings, but almost everything died.

My issue is, if I don't know WHY my plants died, I haven't learned from it. We have two young children and want our garden to be a learning experience, but dead plants and no explanation doesn't help us. I have purchased gardening books but it's hard to hold a book up against a dead leaf and guess why you have dead plants.

Do you have any advice for a new gardener in Central FL? We're doing only vegetables and some sunflowers.

Here are our bell peppers

Canteloupe:

cucumber:

tomato:

I have plenty more pics, but don't want to overwhelm you with death. LOL.

Our watermelons died too along with all the dead things pictured...and dead banana peppers, dead lavendar and dead cilantro. We have some peanuts and tomatoes that seem to be doing okay now. Our green beans died in TS Fay when we flooded. We have 4 tomato plants doing quite well, but about 5 died. And one of our pumpkins has a flower on it now. The rest died. It's so hard to have no clue what you're doing and sit there with books and hope you're making the right decisions (obviously we're not).

We just started doing once weekly miracle gro liquid on them, so hopefully that'll help. I'd love to replant, but without knowing what went wrong, it's hard to know what to do right.

When it doesn't rain, we water every other evening for about 25 min's (if it's super hot, every evening).... I've been out at night with a flashlight and at dawn and never seen a bug that looked evil (just dragonflies and such).

Any ideas for me? Thanks all!!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living