SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexiegurl09

My Vegetable Garden/ advice

lexiegurl09
12 years ago

Hi everyone! I really enjoy the wealth of knowledge that is on this site and these posts have really helped me to see things and learn things that I otherwise would have never known. However, I would like to share pictures and information about my current vegetable garden and hopefully get some advice on how to improve things currently, for the fall, and for next year.

First, I have a large garden approx. 20 ft by 20 ft. It is divided into boxes (not raised beds though) and I am growing corn, lima beans, tomatos, cucumbers, bell peppers, and snap beans in this garden (see attached pictures). It has gotten overwhelmed with weeds, however I am currently in the process of fixing the problem and am about half way there. My cukes are yellow and dying... not really sure why but it might have something to do with the amount of weeds that were present. The lima beans are coming along well. The cowpeas, not so much. The are going to be replaced with crowders this week. The corn is doing ok, this was mostly an experiment. I just replanted snap bean seeds today so we'll see how that goes. My tomatos however are baffling me. First, there are two things I realized I have done wrong.. 1. planted in the same place as last year (really bad I know), and 2. planted near black walnut trees although they did ok in this spot last year. A few of the plants will just randomly wilt for no reason (but not all) and as soon as the get water they are ok... not really sure what's going on with that. Also, I'm not getting any tomatos (other than 4 cherry tomatos). I planted on May 13th from plants and there are roma, cherry, better boy, and big boy. There are flowers and tiny tomatos once the flowers fall off, but the tomatos just aren't growing. We have had VERY HOT days here (like upper 90's and 100's), so I think that has something to do with it. This garden gets watered about every other day for about 1 hour. Next year, I plan to make this a raised bed garden with 4ftx4ft boxes made with 2"x4" however the plants will be able to also enter the soil underneath. Any advice for this garden will be greatly appreciated.

Second garden... 12 18"x18" beds that are about 6" deep. This was a total experiment and I know the boxes are too small for what I'm growing and I plan on making them 18"x36" by 10" deep next year. There is weed block underneath them so I imagine the roots can't go past it. Everything had been doing well until these past couple weeks though. Alot of the cucumbers have stopped flowering. The cucumbers and the cantaloupe plants wilt all during the day but essentially recover in the afternoon/evening when the sun is not on them. (I've heard this is normal, but still concerning). The pumpkin plant was a total failure, but it's ok that was a complete spur of the moment thing. Both my largest watermelon and largest cantaloupes are pictured, however the watermelon fruits don't seem to be growing. But something amazing has happened with them (the sugar baby watermelons... I also have congo but they don't seem to be doing too well) The sugar babies have grew completely new beautiful vines, nice and lush green with new flowers and tiny watermelons in the making. I was soooo excited to see that. If anyone can put my mind to ease about the wilting, that will help me a lot. This too gets watered every other day for about an hour.

Now to my container garden. Just planted it last Sunday from plants that were half off at the garden store. Not really expecting much but figured we'd try. They are 5 gallon buckets (and 2 raised boxes that are filled with topsoil and manure.). The five gallon buckets are a combo of half potting soil, half garden soil (store bought). Not the best, I know but tight budget by this time and another experiment, will do differently next year. The peppers and eggplants seem to be doing good. The squash look a little puny as do the cherry tomatos, but they didn't look the best when we bought them, so not much of a surprise there. I also have planted from seed a sweet crimson and bush sugar baby watermelon and a hale's best jumbo cantaloupe. There are also more pepper plants here as well. I also have a Beefsteak tomato plant that has me stumped. The leaves are curling up with no signs of disease or insects and even making flowers. I read this is some kind of stress reaction, but to what??? Everything is pictured. Not really sure what we're going to do with this next year. Also, everything has holes drilled in the bottom to help with drainage.

Once again, here is a link to all the photos I have. Sorry this message was soooo long, but I would really love any and all advice on how to improve my gardens as I want to be able to get larger amounts of veggies next year. I also realize I need to hand pollinate more becuase the bees that come to my garden aren't doing a very good job ;) Thank you in advance for everyone's help!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden pics

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert