SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maurinsky

New to vegetable gardening, seeking advice

maurinsky
15 years ago

My 11 year old daughter and I have decided to start a vegetable garden this year. I've sent my soil samples off to the UCONN soil analysis lab, and I've started some leeks inside, and I'll be spending some time this weekend laying out where our raised beds are going to be.

We have a tiny yard, so we're going to do some square foot gardening in raised beds. Our house faces west, but there is a small section of yard that gets full sunlight from about 8:30am until close to sunset.

Our main layout problem will be in utilizing as much of that full sun part of the yard as possible. My thought is that I'll plant the taller, vining plants towards the north side, where they won't shade the other plants. But it is inevitable that some plants will end up in an area where they may only get 6 hours of full sun, so I'm curious if anyone can make suggestions for plants that will be okay with that.

We want to start small, with a couple of bean plants, some peas, radishes, carrots, leeks, tomatoes, and probably a small herb garden, partly in containers, with basil, dill, mint, thyme, chives, etc.

I would love to have asparagus, too, but I'm curious for input on how that would do in a CT garden, if only because I don't know anyone who grows it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments (5)